News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Satterfield

Spanish Peaks (Big Sky, MT) Front 9 Pics
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:19:33 PM »
I haven't posted any pics since posting photos from a handful of Jim Engh courses (Blackrock, Lakota Canyon, and Redlands Mesa) and thought it was time to throw some more out there since most everyone enjoys seeing some pictures.

As most of you know, Spanish Peaks is a private club in Big Sky, Montana that Tom Weiskopf designed.  I played it and another Weiskopf design (Snake River Sporting Club) this year and I really liked them both quite a bit.  I've only played 8 Weiskopf designs and I put these two at the top of what I've played of his.

One interesting note.  It is always fun/interesting to find something "new" at a golf course.  Whether it is a bunkering style, green contour, etc.  Well I had a new experience when visiting Spanish Peaks.  For the first time ever, the cart I rode in was equipped with Bear Repellent.  That isn't something you run into everyday at the golf course.  But I guess when you are in Montana at a course built at 7000 elevation, it is better to be safe than sorry!

The 1st hole features some beautiful mountain views and a large bunker to the right of the green.

The 2nd hole in my opinion is the best hole of the golf course.  It is a very natural hole and offers some strong risk/reward.  The closer you play up the right side near the water the better angle you have and shorter distance to the green.  However, the further right you are the more blind the approach shot becomes.  I just loved this hole!

The 3rd hole is a 200+ yard par three that plays over a large, natural gorge to a redan green with a massive bunker protecting the inside.

The par four 4th hole plays back to a green set back in a nice tree setting with mountain views in the distance.

The par four 5th hole features two things I enjoy; a semi-blind tee shot and a forced carry approach to the green.

The 6th hole is shorter than the 5th hole, but similar in concept.

The 7th hole is a big par five that requires a pretty good carry off the tee and then plays uphill and back to a partially blind green.  The approach shot into this green is quite enjoyable with the blind factor, bunkering, and mountain backdrops.

The 8th hole is just a straight forward little par three with bunkering in the front and along the left.

The front nine wraps up with a par four where the green isn't visable from the tee.  The hole sweeps to the right and down the hill.

Jason Topp

Re: Spanish Peaks (Big Sky, MT) Front 9 Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the tour Bill.  I spent a wonderful summer during college at Big Sky.  When I visited a couple of years ago, I was disappointed to find out that a hike to a pond through woods that I took often that summer is now an area covered in condos and a golf course  (not this one.  It made me understand somewhat the fervent environmentalist opposition that often arises for these types of projects.

As to the golf course, I was surprised at this quote:

"The par four 5th hole features two things I enjoy; a semi-blind tee shot and a forced carry approach to the green."

What is so great about a forced carry approach to the green?  Absent a very interesting angle I see them as a necessary evil at best.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
looks better than a lot of tom's work that I've seen in AZ and other places.  Nice bunkering.  Bill have you played forest dunes yet in MI?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:19:15 PM by Jay Flemma »

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
Jason, it has always just given me a thrill hitting a ball high over a hazard; watching and waiting to see whether it will have a safe landing.  I don't know why it gives me exhiliration, but I enjoy shots like that.  Some of my favorites are the approach to #8 at Pebble and #16 at Cypress.  I get double the pleasure by "conquering" the obstacle as well as putting it on the green.  Similarly, I enjoy forced carry tee shots for the same reason.  Maybe when I can't hit it as long or high I will curse those type of shots, but right now I really enjoy them.  Some of the tee shots I love include #14 at TPC Snoqualmie Ridge (plays downhill and you can take an agressive line over the deep ravine at the green if you wish), #17 at Cypress, and some of the tee shots at Wolf Creek in Mesquite from elevated tees to fairways that almost seem unreachable.  Watching the ball soar high in the air and pulling off the shot is very satisfying for me.

I don't know why I like it; I just do.  I guess for the same reason I hate chocolate but love vanilla.  

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »
The bunkering looks to be a departure from both his submerged muscle bunkers at fossil/lakota and the blackstone-ish/creek club-ish ones that were "fairway level" to enter/exit but whose sidewalls were above grade...

nice to see a new style.  I don't think I've ever seen Jim design bunkers that looked like that.  Cool.

Sorry if I caused some confusion with the Jim Engh reference, but this is a Tom Weiskopf course, not Engh.  I think Engh is sticking with his submerged muscle bunkers.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »
Bill I caught that when I re-read it, my bad.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
Bill:

I played Spanish Peaks -- nine holes back in '07 and liked what I saw when I toured the rest of the course by foot. I have to say Weiskopf has done better in other spots -- see Silverleaf in the Scottsdale area as just one quick example.

Be curious to know if you played the nearby Yellowstone Club and how you would stack the courses up against each other.

I'm really interested in seeing what happens with The Reserve at Moonlight Basin. I toured the place in late '07 and the site is indeed quite hilly. Jack's team clearly had to handle a myriad of different issues tied to that site.

Look forward to your comments.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
Matt, I haven't played Yellowstone Club yet.  I seen the yardage book on it and the course pretty "member friendly", but seeing it on paper and seeing it in the flesh are too different things.  I too am very interested in Moonlight Basin.  I think Jack had that tipped out around 8000 yards.  Last I read it is supposed to open up next year.  It is a bit surprising to see that many private clubs going into the Big Sky area that features such a short golf season.  My family has a cabin in West Yellowstone (about an hour from Big Sky) so I'm hoping to play Moonlight Basin next summer while visiting the cabin.

I need to go to Arizona and play some more of Weiskopf work.  When I make a trip to an area I like to feel like I played all of the "best" courses available in the area.  I think that is why I haven't frequented Arizona, it would take weeks to play ALL the great courses.  I can't put it off anymore though, I'm just going to have to start chipping away at it piece by piece.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 05:11:36 PM »
Bill:

I played the back nine at SP when I was there -- it opened first. The hole that climbs uphill (the first photo you provided on that thread) can be cut but it does require a sufficient blast because it's all uphill.

I liked the property but I also had the opportunity to play all 18 holes at Yellowstone Club and Weiskopf did a solid job in providing for a layout that is very playable and fun in many spots.

Bill, the real course to watch will be Moonlight Basin -- a few holes were open this year but the rest should open in July of '09. The site is indeed spectacular and at 8,000+ yards there will be plenty of unique holes -- I've seen the schematic and on paper anyway it does look impressive.

Be sure to keep chipping away at the courses you want to see.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
Based on the pics almost every green has a back stop or side stop which is interesting in some regards, for playability, but a little bit repetitive.

Bill and Matt - Is this evident while playing the course? Pictures can be deceiving.

1. None
2. R and L (?)
3. R
4. R
5. Back
6. Back
7.Not sure
8. R
9. Not sure

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:58:08 PM »
Rob:

You are quite correct.

I can't speak to all of the holes at SP -- but the nine that I played, plus all of Yellowstone Club, maxes out the need for playability -- provide buffers and safeway areas for people to get to without resorting to anything remotely tied to heavy duty requirements.

To Weiskopf's credit he is a big time advocate in keeping his courses playable but often times that will lend itself to the elements you so carefully illuminated.

One thing to mention -- these types of courses do have areas of no of return. That means should you miss tee shots too far to any one side you likely will need to re-tee. However, fairways widths are there for all but the most wild of shots.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back