News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: Has anyone played no GREAT courses here?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
At this point last year I was in the same boat you were Matt. I had a good year this year and got out to play a few GREAT golf courses. Hang in there, it will come

Understatement of the year.

what do you mean by that??

You've had a very good year for new courses, my friend. I'm happy for you, especially since you enjoy it.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
At this point last year I was in the same boat you were Matt. I had a good year this year and got out to play a few GREAT golf courses. Hang in there, it will come

Understatement of the year.

what do you mean by that??

You've had a very good year for new courses, my friend. I'm happy for you, especially since you enjoy it.
I guess this is true, but like I said I was very fortunate to meet great people on here and on the course and I just got lucky.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
Fortunes can change quickly. I'm 29 was in your position not so long ago. Here's my timeline with reagrd to "highly ranked" courses.

2001-2006: Tobacco Road, Black Mesa, Lakota Canyon(3)

Last year:
I played MPCC (Shore) and Rustic Canyon (2)

This year:  Riviera, Sand Hills, Dismal River, Monarch Dunes, Pasatiempo, Olympic (Lake), Ballyneal, Spyglass (Bandon Dunes next month). (11 total!)

Stay patient, save your pennies, and plan accordingly.

Also, while seeking access to private golf clubs via participants on this discussion board is not something I would openly condone (nor is it something I've actively pursued), I owe most of my experiences this year to a very small contingent of generous gents that I've met through this website. Simply playing Riveira would have been enlightening, but paying it with a knowledgable host that shared my love for GCA was transcendant.

I'm guessing the best way to see the greats as a young, public golfer is to save up for a trip to Scotland.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

I'm guessing the best way to see the greats as a young, public golfer is to save up for a trip to Scotland.

Matt, this is the best advice you can possibly get here.  Scotland will open your eyes to what this game really has to offer.  And on the plus side, you can play many great courses in Scotland, without having to pay the insane greens fees that we have to pay here in North America to play the so-called "Top 100" courses!

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

TX Golf

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 10:20:23 PM »
Yannick,

While I agree that a Scotland trip is a must, and that access to the great courses isn't difficult, it is by no means a cheap alternative. It might just have been that I was there during the summer of '07 when the dollar to pound ration was 2.1.... but it was definitely not cheap. Another aspect that needs to be considered are the cost of caddies, which in my opinion is an absolute must on a scotland trip. The caddies are a great part of the experience but come at 40-50 pounds per 18. Anyways, while it might be a tad pricey... I agree that it will open anyones mind to what golf is truly about.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »
A Scotland trip is a must for anyone passionate about GCA, but as was mentioned earlier . . .

You can probably hitchhike to Bandon and save a grand in airfare alone. If you play in November or April the rates are a bit lower and you will get to play 3 of the top golf courses in the country - furthermore if you tee off early enough you can get in 36 in a day.

It doesn't get much better than that - and it will be much more cost effective than flying to the old country.

Wait til OMD is up and running - Bandon will consolidate itself as THE golf mecca in the world!!!!  :P

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »
Probably the best that I've played is World Woods (Pine Barrens).

I've walked Muirfield Village a number of times as an attendee of The Memorial and I got to see all of Crooked Stick during The Solheim Cup.  But I haven't actually played either of these two.

I haven't played golf very long (6 years) and my knowledge of the game and GCA is still growing.  I have this site to thank for it and thanks to Ran for allowing me to contribute to the site, even if my personal experience is limited to Midwestern publics.

Richard Boult

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
I'm coming up on my 4th year of playing golf and have played 99% of my rounds locally. I've only played 4 private courses, each of little note, and 50 courses in total. I have however made it to Bandon, Pasatiempo, and Princeville (Prince Course). I'd love to take a trip to Scotland, but will most likely return to Bandon again and again instead.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back