News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Collecting golf course scorecards- OT?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
Well

I was just going through some old crap and I cam across a 1980 Open Muirfield Strokesaver in excellent condition in a plastic fitted folder.  It ain't doing me any good.  If any of you folks think it would do you good, make a reasonable offer and its yours. 

I seem to have gotten rid of so many things over the years - including my library.  I spose I will eventually have to start getting rid of the really cool stuff like the shotguns and ball gloves.  I don't know, they just don't seem to bring much pleasure if I don't use them. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Cory Lewis

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
I started collecting scorecards and pencils from every golf course I played when I was 18 so of the 550ish I've played, I have about 400.  Yep, I'm a geek.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »
My favorite card is from The Lightning Bug Course at Solitude.  Includes a place to record the fish you catch.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
Anthony--That sounds like me and trips to Wal-Marts. Long story. I collect golf balls from courses. That should impress Kav, as I don't have to take any of those, they are all paid for in full.

John....The golf course.......Wal-Mart........No place is safe!!!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »
I've collected a few rocks from a few places, starting with Cypress Point, going on to include Greywalls, Monterey Peninsula CC, and Kapalua.  There are a total of five rocks and they sit on my golf bookcase...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »
It's a priceless collection...at least to me, and it's brought joy to me.

In other words, you would rank "You want to check out my scorecard collection?" as one of the most underrated pick-up lines in history?

Eric,

Yes.

In those discussions, I usually refer to it as my "HUGE" collection, and I find that descriptor inevitably elicits a great deal of piqued curiosity.

JSPayne

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »
Why do you want blank scorecards?  It is not like they are worth more without your score, your coplayers names and any possible bets included.  Seems to me that a collection of filled out cards from every course you have played would have far more value and interest.

For once, I must agree with JK. I collect scorecards as well. I started collecting logo balls but they got to be too cumbersome and take up too much space on useless racks on the wall so I gave it up for scorecards. I only keep them from courses I've played, and they all have my best scores on that course. If I return and shoot a better score, I replace the old card with the new. I really enjoy it because I can flip back through them and remember my rounds......reminisce.......it's funny when I run across a course I only got to play once in my life like 10 years ago and the score is HORRIBLE.

Keeping scorecards with the record of your round (and hopefully those of your playing partners) intact is the only way to go. Remember the course, remember your round, remember your company. That's what golf's all about.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »
While wearing my dirty tattered old golf hat, my wife finally looked at me and said, "that's it you have 100 old hats in the closet you never wear and you have on the dirtiest old ratty thing you own.  Go get one of the others!" 

She didn't understand, of course, that you don't wear a Pine Valley or a Merion just anywhere.  Hell I might never get to go back and I'll always have the hat.  Rather than give up my marriage, (that would be expensive), I decided to find a way to collect stuff without having hats falling all over the closet.  My solution is those little brass ball markers. 

My ball markers are mounted in a frame in my office.  One frame holds hundreds of the darn things.  Sure I still sneak the occasional hat into the house but that grouping is in pretty good control.  At least I don't have 125 white shirts like a another pal of mine. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »

I do not advocate collecting blank scorecards to form a collection - only as a means to an end in that you have a record of the course you missed out when travelling through an area.

By – lets call it picking up these cards - it give you a break from driving, a chance to glimpse the course and its surroundings. Later you can study the card and map of the course to decide if it warrants another visit. I don’t collect my old cards, they just seem to stay around and surprise me from time to time when I get out an old book I realised that I used The Killin Scorecard of 1979 as a bookmark. When I look at the actual score I surprise myself realising that I once could play golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 09:53:20 AM »
It is interesting thinking about what you would collect if you were obligated to purchase something at every club you visit.  On another note, what is the greatest course you ever played that has advertising not affiliated with the resort/course on their scorecard?  

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:31 AM »
For those of you who like to record all your rounds of golf there's a little book I was associated with some years ago: http://www.rylandpeters.com/books/bookdetails.php?book_id=39456

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2008, 12:00:16 PM »
For those of you who like to record all your rounds of golf there's a little book I was associated with some years ago: http://www.rylandpeters.com/books/bookdetails.php?book_id=39456

Mark
I am one of your satisfied customers ;D

I was given one as a birthday present last year.  One of my projects, when I find the time, is to start completing it on a more regular basis!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back