News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Dixie Cup V Report
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 09:19:48 PM »
For the record  ;D, my match with Eric's friend, Brian Graham, seemed to be going my way until I realized we finished at the Dunes Club with a pair of par-5s. I was 2-up and after feeling fortunate to have my 2nd shot past Graham's 1st on most holes, I didn't like my chances. After losing the 17th and seeing Brian play one of the best shots of the match - a 240-yard approach out of the waste bunker to within 10 yards of the 18th green - I thought I was done. Fortunately for me, he placed his pitch above the hole and ran an impossible putt several feet past. We halved the hole and the match was won for the North. Brian's a real player and I was fortunate he hasn't played much recently. Hope he enjoyed the game.

Hey Craig!

After I read your post I called the Grambler, sure enough I had misunderstood him while driving back to the airport last Sunday.  (so my earlier post stating he had a chance to win was obviously incorrect, as he could have pulled out only a half point if he had holed his putt on 18.)

Anyway he wanted you to know he enjoyed playing with you and Pete L. Sunday and we both enjoyed the match Saturday with you and Pete B.

Here's a pic for you

Take it easy--

Eric
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:59:58 PM by Eric Smith »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »
Thank you John Cullum for putting this wonderful event together.  The courses, food, drink, camaraderie, etc. could not have been better.  The Tampa area proves in spades that quality golf and value are not mutually exclusive.

One of the upsides of a smaller group is that you get to know people better.  As always, it was great fun renewing past acquaintances and meeting new folks.  Despite being in the midst of difficult economic times and a high-charged, polarized political environment, everything was positive and friendly.

Bill McBride- you are being way too kind.  I did scrape it around the formal matches okay, but as Ward, Pete, and Sarge can attest, the real me showed through quite often during casual play.

Last but not least, I very much appreciate how welcoming the group was toward my son, Alex.  I see him very infrequently anymore, and his last minute addition to the event was very meaningful to me.  He thoroughly enjoyed the golf courses, Pine Barrens and Dunes particularly, and hit a few impressive shots.  He told me how much he enjoyed meeting the group and to pass on his appreciation for being allowed to be a part of this year's DC.   

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
This is the last of the big 3 I have not attended.  I hope I can make Dixie Cup VI.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
Jason - amen...
A little further north is always a help for us yankees.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »
Having attended the last two Dixie Cups, I really hated to miss this one but Mom's health made traveling impossible.  The pics show that the courses were good, and the fact that the camaraderie was great goes without saying!  I'm envious of all who attended.

John Shimp and I have suggested a duo of Palmetto and Camden for an upcoming Dixie.....  There are a ton of fairly nearby courses for before and after play, too.  Think this would be popular?

Jamey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
I for one would love to see Palmetto and would like to learn more about Camden.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 07:31:39 AM »
This was my maiden D Cup and i had a blast. Sarge worked wonders choosing venues for golf and beverage and everyone sported great comraderie and enthusiasm. At the Siverthorn Socail Club my excellent Chicken Marsala- 2 4 1 bourbon and water and two generous punch bowls of old vine zin came to under $30 and the service was great.

I was weaned in the flat Florida courses featuring meandering canals and sand and the dramatic settings in the Brooksville area were surprisingly full of character and challenge; very rolling and even hilly terrain and quarry sites and interesting flora: the pink headed ornamental grass used favorably throughout Pine Barrens to define waste and water edges was beautiful and artfully provided a unifying element for the enti re golf course.
The Dunes was a wonderful golf course and a hell of a test my only general criticism being that too many tee shots were defined by oblique waste areas that were impossible for someone not a regular to properly judge- ok with me on a coupl three holes but somewhat wearying on 7 or more views.

Sugarloaf Mtn was unbelievably hill- like a NC Mtn course and the course features such as tees and greens blended together with their surroundings be it  natural areas or fairways that the margins truly disspeared- almost like very hi class pasture golf in a wonderful sense.

Thanks again Sarge and Michael W for a very enjoyable interlude.

Ps John i want to be sure that you know I recieved no compnsation for my playing partner Steve's putting lesson. Don't want to lose amateur standing
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Matt OBrien

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
I like Bill Hermann's idea of moving this event up north next year!! Like maybe philly  ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
Having attended the last two Dixie Cups, I really hated to miss this one but Mom's health made traveling impossible.  The pics show that the courses were good, and the fact that the camaraderie was great goes without saying!  I'm envious of all who attended.

John Shimp and I have suggested a duo of Palmetto and Camden for an upcoming Dixie.....  There are a ton of fairly nearby courses for before and after play, too.  Think this would be popular?

Jamey

Jamey - We had this very discussion in Brooksville. We want Dixie Cup VI to be SPECIAL and get the numbers up. I think a Palmetto/Camden CC combo would be a great draw. Palmetto has enough cashet with this group that it would bring some of the diehards out of the woodwork.

Another possible location that was discussed was Black Creek in Tennessee, but I don't know that we can wrangle that kind of access.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »
Finally getting to check in after an extended week in FLA (& GA, getting rained out on Friday....was looking forward to playing Kinderlou Forest, but not to be).

Of course, another great trip with GCAers.  They treated us well at Silverthorn CC, considering we were the only ones there enjoying the dining & libations.  We were surprised to find that the course is open to the public & they said many locals don't even know that.

I found it appropriate that my opponent in the round at Dunes was a UVa alum (John Goodman).

The pleasant surprise to me was Dunes, with some wickedly tilted/sloped greens.  Funny thing was we were the first GCA group to go off (amongst us), and we pulled ahead of the group behind us early on, so when we reached #17 (the quasi-Biarritz green), we stayed around for a good 15 minutes trying all sorts of wacky putts (Neil Regan-style).  When we reached #18, another wicked green, we did the same thing for another 15 minutes.   A good 20-30 minutes later, the group behind us finally finished  :-[  ;).  We didn't think we were that fast, but..... ;D

I got over to Brooksville CC on Thursday after my conference, and it was also very good, but the caveat is that it is exclusively a back-nine course.  The front is 'boring' and nondescript.  I am sure that Bobby Weed did no work on it.  We're talking Pacific Grove/Tijeras Creek polarity between nines.   The back nine is very good to excellent, where Weed did the work/introduced new holes (from new land acquired).  The bunkering is far better and different, and then there's the new quarry holes.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to get the pics ready of these 3 courses (2 above + WW(Rolling Oaks) ) and post them.

As for Dixie Cup in Aiken, how far is the Love III design Patriot's Point (name?) in Ninety-Six?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:42:09 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Andy Hughes

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
Is there any comparison between the Dunes Club and El Diablo? The land looks similar, though the greens at the Dunes (at least in John's pics) look to be more interesting.

Also, I don't recall any mermaids at El Diablo.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

John Mayhugh

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
The pleasant surprise to me was Dunes, with some wickedly tilted/sloped greens.  Funny thing was we were the first GCA group to go off (amongst us), and we pulled ahead of the group behind us early on, so when we reached #17 (the quasi-Biarritz green), we stayed around for a good 15 minutes trying all sorts of wacky putts (Neil Regan-style).  When we reached #18, another wicked green, we did the same thing for another 15 minutes.   A good 20-30 minutes later, the group behind us finally finished  :-[  ;).  We didn't think we were that fast, but..... ;D

See how fast you can play when you ride?   ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »

See how fast you can play when you ride?   ;D

That next group had a match with one cart (Team Duran) taking the other cart (Smith & McBride) behind the woodshed, 7 & 6 and 5 & 4.  My seemingly endless desert odyssey :P probably didn't help either.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
Scott - The Patriot is close enough to incorporate into a Palmetto-Camden-Patriot Dixie Cup. That would gives us an old-school Travis/Ross course (Camden), a VERY old-school Herbert Leeds/Alister MacKenzie course, and a modern old-school type course in The Patriot by Love Design's Paul Cowley. Do you think this lineup would draw a bigger crowd?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 01:34:32 PM »
There is always someone in the group who has to question the pace of play.  If Scott's group played as fast as reported, the time must have made up the time over the last few holes.  I distinctly recall being on the same hole a number of times and we played in 4 hours and 20 minutes.  Our group didn't hold anyone up and we also played a few extra shots here and there, at times because we had to.  We did chase a few foul balls, though they were not all Eric's.  Kudos to the organizers for putting the groups in the proper order as to their pace of play.

As to Brooksville CC, there is more topography on the back nine with the four quarry holes, but the the nines are not disjointed.  It is not a Top 100 by any means, but a pleasant, reasonably challenging course for most folks.  My only real objection is the old hybrid bermuda greens which made reading the grain essential.  Some like grainy greens.  I don't.

Steve Hyden

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »
Is there any comparison between the Dunes Club and El Diablo? The land looks similar, though the greens at the Dunes (at least in John's pics) look to be more interesting.
When it opened around 2000 or so, El Diablo was one of the best courses in Central Florida, arguably the equal of Pine Barrens and in my view superior to Dunes (which I like) and Rolling Oaks (which I don't).  It was supposed to be private but back then access was no problem.  The memberships didn't materialize, and it went to daily fee and then to cheap daily fee, with the expected deterioration in maintenance.  The last time I played it, its condition was crappy and I won't go back until I know it has been improved.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
Finally getting to check in after an extended week in FLA (& GA, getting rained out on Friday....was looking forward to playing Kinderlou Forest, but not to be).

Of course, another great trip with GCAers.  They treated us well at Silverthorn CC, considering we were the only ones there enjoying the dining & libations.  We were surprised to find that the course is open to the public & they said many locals don't even know that.

I found it appropriate that my opponent in the round at Dunes was a UVa alum (John Goodman).

I got over to Brooksville CC on Thursday after my conference, and it was also very good, but the caveat is that it is exclusively a back-nine course.  The front is 'boring' and nondescript.  I am sure that Bobby Weed did no work on it.  We're talking Pacific Grove/Tijeras Creek polarity between nines.   The back nine is very good to excellent, where Weed did the work/introduced new holes (from new land acquired).  The bunkering is far better and different, and then there's the new quarry holes.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to get the pics ready of these 3 courses (2 above + WW(Rolling Oaks) ) and post them.

As for Dixie Cup in Aiken, how far is the Love III design Patriot's Point (name?) in Ninety-Six?

Scott, it wasn't that you were so fast, it was that we were so slow!  (Lots of flailing around in the sand).  We also fooled around on #17 for a while, great green somewhat reminiscent of #16 North Berwick.

John_Cullum

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »

The back nine is undeniably more visually striking, but after a few plays, I believe you wouldf develop alot more appreciation for the front 9. The greens have alot of movement, and the route is pretty solid.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
Sarge,

I can't believe you didn't remind our group that the fallaway green on the par 5 7th at BCC was in fact a Redan hole; very interesting concept coming in with a wedge.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John_Cullum

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
I am not a Redan Hunter, although that green certainly has some redan qualities, even on a 100 yard pitch.

Is 9 a double plateau? 6 is sort of a cape hole around the maintenance area

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
6 is sort of a cape hole around the maintenance area

Wish I'd come down a day earlier and seen that!  Is it possible to drive it over the maintenance yard?

John_Cullum

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »

Wish I'd come down a day earlier and seen that!  Is it possible to drive it over the maintenance yard?

Not for most of us, but it does have magnetic qualities

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:28 PM »

Personal experience?  ::)

John_Cullum

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »

Personal experience?  ::)

Oh, I've been there, so have a few other GCAers

John Goodman

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
"I found it appropriate that my opponent in the round at Dunes was a UVa alum (John Goodman)."

Certainly appropriate, Scott, in that you waxed me (6 & 4?) much as your Hokies have been having their way with the Hoos in football . . . But hope springs eternal, and maybe we can sneak up on you guys this year.

I enjoyed meeting the group (Scott, Mike, John, Alex, Lou and everyone else), and will second the compliments made about the Dunes.  I thought the greensites and contouring were just fantastic.  That course ought to be enough on its own to keep Art Hills out of the GCA penalty box.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back