News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Aussie Masters goes to the sandbelt
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »
It was announced this morning at the Australian Masters, held at Huntingdale since its inception in 1979, will rotate around the sandbelt courses from 2009. 

I understand that next year will probably be at Kingston Heath, and 2010 could be at Victoria.

Very good news for a struggling tournament: hopefully it can return to what it once was.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Aussie Masters goes to the sandbelt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »
Chris

You've said elsewhere that Commonwealth would have difficulty staging it - besides those you listed and say Metropolitan  / RM what other venues would be a possibility - Yarra Yarra ? Peninsula ?

Pat Burke

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
this excites me beyond belief.  Such a great tournament, and though I enjoyed parts of Huntingdale, it always paled in comparison to many of its neighbors
Makes me wish I could still get back to Aus to play again
I wish them all the best in this.

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »
Kevin, at this stage it would be RM-KH-Victoria-Metropolitan-Huntingdale (there is no reason it shouldn't have the tournament every now and then), depending of course that they all want it.

Peninsula, once Mike has finished his renovations, would be terrific on a Composite course, and the facilities there are perfect for a tournament.  The distance from Melbourne might be an issue: you'd want the tournament well established before such a risk was taken.

I can't see Yarra Yarra having the space needed for a major professional tournament.

Commonwealth may be an option once we take possession of the land next door.  I don't think we're too long from being able to develop the land, but we're still a few years away from being able to consider hosting a tournament, I would think. 

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »
Kevin and Chris

Information was sent out in a release on Thursday with the following info:

Contrary to what has been reported this morning in some media, it would appear unlikely that Royal Melbourne will be able to host any other events prior to 2011 Presidents Cup and some other sandbelt clubs have already been excluded as likely venues due to distance from Melbourne and other strategic reasons. Therefore what the Vic Government, through the Major Events Board, is seeking as part of their relationship with the Masters may not necessarily turn out to be reality once they start to talk to the clubs and ascertain the infrastructure needs of the tournament (volunteers, space etc) moving away from Huntingdale.

I hope this adds some light.

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
Andrew,

All it really seems to do is confirm that:

1. RM won't be hosting prior to the President's Cup
2. The only sandbelt courses that will be hosting are ones which are capable of hosting and viable venues!

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 06:03:38 AM »
2. The only sandbelt courses that will be hosting are ones which are capable of hosting and viable venues!
It should be at Capital, then. It has all the requisite facilities, including the best course in Australia.

Chris Kane

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »
It should be at Capital, then. It has all the requisite facilities, including the best course in Australia.
Have you seen it Mark?  What did you think?

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 06:20:31 AM »
It's an amazing achievement, that's for sure. 

Not as many Thomson pots as usual, although still a heavily bunkered course.  Can't really run the ball onto greens too much, par threes fairly unimaginative, yet it's better than what you would expect.

It's a little difficult to disassociate the course from the place - yes, the contour is obviously artificial, the landscaping is immaculate, the strategy feels a little similar on many holes, but the atmosphere is extraordinary.

Exquisite clubhouse, too, although I am guessing that would be off limits to everyone excpet Sheikh Ihavemore thanyousoIdon'tgiveaf+ck.

Wasn't there talk a few years back that it wanted to host a tournament?

Chris Kane

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:22:51 AM »
Wasn't there talk a few years back that it wanted to host a tournament?

...with huge prizemoney and no spectators?

Agree its an amazing achievement.  I found the course rather soulless.  Best clubhouse ever. 

Philip Gawith

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »
some other sandbelt clubs have already been excluded as likely venues due to distance from Melbourne and other strategic reasons.

What is the issue here? These clubs are not far away by any normal standards from the city centre?

Chris Kane

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
What is the issue here? These clubs are not far away by any normal standards from the city centre?
Philip, they might have been referring to Peninsula, which is significantly further from the city than the others.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
Chris

The reality is the Major Events Corporation only belive there are 4 sand belt courses. RMGC, metro, Vic and KH and these are the only 4 with the capacity to host such a tournament. Huntingdale are keen to host again and will do but someways down the track.

What is unwritten is that Australia's leading 2 ranked players will not play the masters while it is held at Huntingdale and if IMG cannot guarantee those two players it nigh on impossible to garner reasonable sponorship.

While capital is a nice place to play golf with all the bells and whistloes it is certainly not in the class of the above 4.

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 02:02:50 AM »
While capital is a nice place to play golf with all the bells and whistloes it is certainly not in the class of the above 4.

I'm pretty sure Mark was being facetious in suggesting Capital.

David_Tepper

RichMacafee

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »
Don't be surprised if 2011 is excluded from this 3-course sanbelt rotation deal for the Masters, due to the Pres Cup.

The 2011 event could be held in Adelaide or Perth as a one-off, and the rotation resume back in 2012.
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back