News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AndrewB

What holes would be better as short par fours?
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »
A few months ago I played a hole from the forward tee because the regular tees were under construction.  I was confronted with a much different hole where driving the green (or close to it) was a possibility and laying up had two or three options with varying trade offs.  From the normal tee it's just a three wood or driver and a short iron, but from the up tee there was a lot more thought required to select what sort of tee shot to play.  Furthermore, the various features located 75 yards and in were much more in play rather than just something you walk past on the way to the green.

After some further discussion about this today, I realized that I think it's a better hole from that forward tee.  The stroke average would almost certainly be lower from that tee, but it's a lot more fun to play and requires more thought from the player.

What holes that aren't short par fours would be better if a forward tee were used or a new tee were built to make the hole play like a short par four?  And, if they'd make such good short par fours, why do you think the architect decided to make it a longer hole?

For the purposes of this question, I'm thinking of a short par four as one where longer hitters think about trying to get on or very close to the green with their drive.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Chip Gaskins

Re: What holes would be better as short par fours?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
Pine Valley #8 sure would be fun if there was a 280-310 yard tee box.  Its pretty short as it is, but it is out of "go for it" range.  And given you can make a double digit number by just missing the green, it sure would be fun to give it a try off the tee.  Though, now that I think of it....there is no way to actually hold the green with a driver, so scratch that thought.  Sorry.  How about #17 instead?

JESII

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:27 AM »
#'s 7 and 8 at Merion attract the very longest to hit driver...both need a drive of about 330 to think about it...at 290 - 310 they would get more people thinking about it and would likely provide a wider scoring margin.

#12 at Pine Valley would do this from the front right tee.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:59:06 AM »
I would like to see #9, or possibly even #18 at Pine Needles playing in the range of 290 yards. That would give needles a driveable par 4, which may be the only thing it doesn't have. 9 would be best since it has a hill behind the green and a good swale/tight grass bunker in the front of the green. It would make a great hole to go for it. I would say it was not made short during the Renovation a few years back because of the current phase in USGA set-up that was going to length, above all else, even for the women.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 01:19:34 AM »
John-

I thought about #9 at Pine Needles as well.  That big swale in front and death in the back....would be really fun.

Chip

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
LA North #5, with the original short tee in play on the RH side of the FW...utilizing the front right pin for which it was designed. Clear a few trees, put the tee back in and they're in business!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Ian Larson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:30 AM »
Jon,

I think that may be in the works with the restoration.

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 02:25:26 AM »
I commented on a previous thread that I thought the 1st hole at Olympic Lake would make a terrific short par-4.

Position the tee box at the top of the hill at the beginning of the dog leg and tempt the golfer to fly the cross bunkers 40-yards short of the green.

If the hole is maintained firm and fast, then that could be a lot of fun.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 04:42:32 AM »
I think the 16th at Burnham & Berrow would be well served with a shorter tee. 

Sully, I was thinking the 10th at Merion would be interesting with a shorter tee, but of course, the road is nearby and that could be problematic.  I also wondered about doing the opposite at the 17th.  I am not sure the hole would be better, but the thought of extending the tees back to create a short par 4 sounds interesting - though I wouldn't want to give up the par 3 tees. 

I often wonder why more shared par holes aren't developed.  I like the idea for the sake of variety especially if land is vacant. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:44:41 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »
Jon,

I think that may be in the works with the restoration.

It's definitely in the works ;). I can't wait.

On a related topic...perhaps the best example will be #7 once they restore the long tee!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »
I think they may have just created one at Pasatiempo... but not in the way Andrew asks about....

235 yard very uphill #3.

;)

Andrew - what hole was it that you describe in your post?  I am very curious.

BTW I've always thought #15 at Santa Teresa was way more fun from way up tees... not that I expect many to know this hole.

TH

Deucie Bies

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I like the idea of #12 at Pine Valley.  I don't think #17 would be that great since I think it would be impossible to hold that green.  #2 at Oakmont when the tees are up is very interesting.  The same with #14 at Oakmont.  Both holes give you more options, and bring a lot more trouble into play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back