News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: The World Golf Atlas (New Version) Bigger-Better-Beautiful!
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:44 AM »
Aaaah - I know what to put on my Christmas list now!

Eric Franzen

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »
Also, where can you get the first 1976 copy? I'm afraid I wasn't even born at that point.

You'll find it at http://www.alibris.com/

Cheers,

Eric

Noel Freeman

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 09:13:16 AM »
Mark Rowlinson deserves a bow for all of his hard work in getting this edition compiled etc.  His editing and writing is terrific.

I was fortunate enough to contribute to this but I truly admire the other writers' skills.  Perhaps some will win some GWAA awards.  Dan Wexler's work and effort was extraordinary in scope.

It was a huge pleasure to accompany Ran on his trip from England thru France (which resulted in several of the WAOG profiles) as we played Mortfontaine which he subsequently wrote up.  I will note Ran lost 2 and 1 to me there which proves again the feet of clay Golf's most beloved wears..

There are several notable profiles in the book like Deal, Yale, Eastward Ho that are given highlights with prose but will be expanded hopefully in further editions.

I was most impressed by the quality of the whole package..

But once again, Mark Rowlinson take a bow..

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »
I pre-ordered thru AMZN for $16 including shipping, to be delivered mid-Nov.  They're still listing as paperback, so we'll see what is actually shipped and/or honored. 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
There is no paperback edition.

However, do beware because there are older editions still being sold. Make sure the cover looks like Tommy's picture.

The ISBN number is 978-0-600-61794-5.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
It does look to be fantastic.

But I remain confused.  Is the only place to order it now from that UK website (Octopus)?  Is there any way yet to get it from a US site?

TH, trying to avoid large shipping charge and long wait for it....

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
I too have pre-ordered on Amazon in the U.S.

It is listed as $12 and paperback

Here are the specifics:

# Paperback: 128 pages
# Publisher: Hamlyn (August 1, 2008)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0600617947
# ISBN-13: 978-0600617945
# Product Dimensions: 11.5 x 10 x 1.7 inches
# Shipping Weight: 5 pounds

The cover looks the same as Tommy's post.  I don't want the old one though, I have that one, I want the big new one!

http://www.amazon.com/World-Atlas-Golf-Greatest-Courses/dp/0600617947/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:53:02 AM by Chip Gaskins »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
Amazon in the UK have it, so I assume amazon.com will, too.  When I looked at it on amazon.co.uk it called it a hardback.  Pricing is a bit odd, list is £30, amazon.co.uk has it at £21 and yet Chip says amazon.com have it at $12.  I accept the US price might be a bit lower, but $12?  For a book that big and with so much content? 

Looking forward to my copy arriving.  Congratulations to all on here who contributed.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
OK, I pre-ordered it also, same as Chip.  Seems like a silly low price... but we'll see what happens!  But it does show the cover pictured here... seems to be the proper book....

TH

John Burzynski

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »
I preordered, too...at $12.95 even in paperback you can't beat it.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
$12.95 can't be correct...Hey I don't mind paying the proper price for all the hard work (well, touring around France playing Mortfontaine isn't all that hard, but I am sure the "non-playing" part is hard)

I would order this from the U.K. but the exchange rate and more importantly postage on a big heavy book would be very pricey, and honestly a waste.

I remember back to many of Paul Daley's threads (and Richard Mandell's Pinehurst book thread) about how Amazon has driven the economics of producing books into a no profit situation.  I am not trying to piss money away, but I don't mind paying a fair price for a fair product.

Does anyone know of a retailer in the U.S. that isn't discounting it so much???

Noel Freeman

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »
The Pound is CRASHING today.. well the USD is rallying hard.. Sterling is now 1.62.. a lot better than the $2 to buy a pound earlier this year..

Eric Franzen

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:56 AM »

Does anyone know of a retailer in the U.S. that isn't discounting it so much???

Well, there a couple of retailers on Alibris that's listing it for around 85 to 90.

http://www.alibris.com/portals/alibrisPortal.portal?_nfpb=true&booksearch_actionOverride=%2Falibris%2Fjump%2FsearchResult%2FdoLastSearch&_pageLabel=alibrisPage_bookSearchResult

Rich Goodale

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »
Anybody who expects to get the book for $12.95 pph will be disappointed.  The publisher (largest in the UK) and Amazon are in a dispute regarding discounts, so if I were a US buyer I'd check with Borders, Barnes & Noble or the local bookstore to see about availability and price.  If you are desperate, order from the publisher in the UK and pay the frieght for postage to the US.  You shouldn't expect to get this book for anything under $50-60, and it is a bargain at that price.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
I do love the cover and how it shows the transition of dimple technology from the original version.  This ball looks like a ProV1 while the original looks to be an Acushnet.  It brings me great comfort not to see just another picture of some obscure golf course.  Any history behind the cover choice?

Rich,

Can you address my questions concerning the cover.  Also I would enjoy owning a copy signed by all the authors.  Please sign one of your copies and forward it to the nearest author, I do not have the list myself, and ask them to forward it to the next.  Please try to schedule it so Tom Doak is the last to sign because he has my address and can be trusted to forward this most valuable copy on to me.  Thank you in advance.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
Great news.

I'm wondering if someone on the pre--order list could confirm upon delivery they indeed received the new version.

I'm hesitant in pulling the trigger without knowing for sure there isn't some screwup on Amazon.  $12 just seems way off.  I'm concerned they're trying to clear out their old stock.

They've got the same problem going on right now with Mackenzie's Golf Architecture.  The cover pic is George C. Thomas's Golf Architecture in America!

Now ... if only we could get WM and TP to get their act in gear and get the Flynn volume out.  One can only wish...  
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
Checked on B&N. Same ISBN as Mark gives, same brown background/golfball cover...also quoting a $12.95 list price. What gives?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
Hi John

Thanks for the love, but I don't have enough author's copies to give or even sell away.  Maybe some of the other guys got a better deal!  I'm happy to sign any book that is sent to me and send it on, but you must understand that getting 5 lbs of paper across the pond is going to cost at least $20 each way.  It would probably be easier for you (or any others) to schlep the book to a few GCA-com gatherings and get the signings done that way.  Why don't you play to come to BUDA VII at Deal in September?  I'll be there as will I suspect Noel, Ulrich and maybe Ran and Mark.  Ian Carter and Martin Hawtree will not be far away.  I'm sure I won't be the only one hoping to see your fat arse slouching over the links of Kent.  You and Chappers would make for one hell of a singles match.......

All the best

Rich

PS--don't know about the cover.  Ask Mark.

rfg

Adam Clayman

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »
Anybody who expects to get the book for $12.95 pph will be disappointed.  The publisher (largest in the UK) and Amazon are in a dispute regarding discounts, so if I were a US buyer I'd check with Borders, Barnes & Noble or the local bookstore to see about availability and price.  If you are desperate, order from the publisher in the UK and pay the frieght for postage to the US.  You shouldn't expect to get this book for anything under $50-60, and it is a bargain at that price.

)Rihc- Danke.
I just cancelled my order for 5 copies. If they ever fix the listing I'll change it to 6. Hate to see Hermann miss out on x-mas.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
The Pound is CRASHING today.. well the USD is rallying hard.. Sterling is now 1.62.. a lot better than the $2 to buy a pound earlier this year..

1. Short FXB
2. Take portion of proceeds to buy WAOG
3. Wait 11 mos
4. Lquidate position to cover BUDA expenses.
5. Enjoy free book n buda.

Golf arbitrage !!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »
Checked on B&N. Same ISBN as Mark gives, same brown background/golfball cover...also quoting a $12.95 list price. What gives?

Wyatt

I noticed this too and have alerted the publisher.  Something is rotten in the state of WAG....

Rich

PCCraig

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
So do I buy the copy that is on Amazon right now or not?
H.P.S.

John Burzynski

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »
Am I not correct in surmising that the publisher and author's get paid the same no matter what the book is actually sold for (flat fee /signed contract based on number of copies printed and shipped to  the bookseller)?  Or is there a % royalty based on the actual sale price? 

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
This is amazing news!  Thanks to all involved for producing what I'm sure will be the finest-ever version of the book that inspired me and so many others into a passion for golf course architecture.  Can't wait to buy it and see what you've done!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2008, 01:02:20 PM »
A big well done to all concerned.  That's gone straight onto my Xmas list.  I shall be autograph hunting at BUDA 2009!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back