News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

Talking about Augustine on another thread got me to wondering.

Augustine has great holes on the front, but isn't quite as strong on the back.  However, it has a great price.  I played it for $44 on a weekend in 2005, but even at $75, I thought it a good deal.

Two course come to mind that have good prices, but so-so designs.  One is in greater NYC area (really Danbury) called Richter Park.  nice place to play for $62 on a weekend, but not a lot of hardcore architecture to discuss.  The other, in my neck of the woods, is Pinehills.  They have two courses there with lackluster architecture, but the good prices ($80) have the tee sheets pretty full.

Now I think that the average weekend golfer has a lower tolerance for when the price outweighs the architecure, but how about you experts?  When do you draw the line?  Some examples?

Chip Gaskins

And on the flip side, how about when price some how taints good architecture.  Where you paid so much your expectations were so high that you overlook great architecture.

Mike Mosely

That's a good question too.  I loved _________________, (I don't want to say the name because I don't want to start a flame war...), but I spent $400.  Yet, I had the course to myself on a gorgeous spring day and got to hang out and eat lunch on the edge of the water on one of the holes on the back (15 maybe?).  Beautiful course by great designers, but $400 was a big hole in the pocket.

Chip, it's a great question.  Is there $700 worth of architecture at Pebble?  I know there's $350 of architecture (and more!) at Bandon.

Eric Franzen

That's a good question too.  I loved _________________, (I don't want to say the name because I don't want to start a flame war...), but I spent $400.  Yet, I had the course to myself on a gorgeous spring day and got to hang out and eat lunch on the edge of the water on one of the holes on the back (15 maybe?).  Beautiful course by great designers, but $400 was a big hole in the pocket.

Yes, nothing beats a gorgeous spring day at Trump National LA. Next time I am going to have lunch under the waterfall at the 17th.

JLahrman

And on the flip side, how about when price some how taints good architecture.  Where you paid so much your expectations were so high that you overlook great architecture.

If I play the course once but can remember the exact amount of the greens fee, it's too much.

Anthony Gray

Chip, it's a great question.  Is there $700 worth of architecture at Pebble?  I know there's $350 of architecture (and more!) at Bandon.

At Pebble your paying for the experience. It is a must play at any cost.

Mike Mosely

Anthony, is it really?  Are the holes cut though the forest that good?  I remember Ran once saying that he thought there was better architecture than many give credit for...

I just draw the line at $200. I've paid more - at both public and private courses - but even for terrific architecture the hole left in my pocket was still LARGE.  I wish I could regularly afford $300+ per round, but not on my salary:)

I saw some of you played TPC Tampa for a low fee.  I played it for $120 back a few years ago and even then - knowing nothing about architecture - I felt gypped and have never returned.  In fact, I think many places with the Tour cachet are way overpriced.

Where do you draw the line?  I draw it at $200, barring exceptional circumstances, but even then I don't pay willingly and can be disappointed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back