News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

No New Golf Course in Pebble Beach
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »
According to a senior staff member with the California Coastal Commision, there will be no new golf course in the revised Del Monte Forest Plan: Forest Preservation and Development Limitatations that was mooted some eight years ago.

See:

www.carmelpinecone.com

Bob

Bob Jenkins

Re: No New Golf Course in Pebble Beach
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »

Bob,

Interesting little newspaper.

As a lawyer, the headline  "John Kinney gives his house to his lawyer". caught my interest as well.

Bob J

Joe Perches

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
The article is:  http://www.pineconearchive.com/081024-2.htm

Also from the same issue, there's an article about wastewater use.

http://www.pineconearchive.com/081024-4.htm

The bit I liked:

When water comes out of the facility, it is so pure it has a lower salt content and fewer minerals than drinking water.

“We actually have to add salinity and hardness back to the water so it doesn’t damage the greens,” Scheiter said.

Who'd'a thunk it, having to add salt to the irrigation water for golf course next to the ocean.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:26:11 PM »
According to a senior staff member with the California Coastal Commision, there will be no new golf course in the revised Del Monte Forest Plan: Forest Preservation and Development Limitatations that was mooted some eight years ago.

See:

www.carmelpinecone.com

Bob

Bob:
Is that a good or bad thing.
Best
Dave

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »
Good for the eco-terrorists.

Bad for the partners of PB Company, golfing enthusiasts and the coffers of the Monterey County Tax Collector.

Bob

Nick Church

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »

Bad for the partners of PB Company, golfing enthusiasts and the coffers of the Monterey County Tax Collector.

Bob

I second the statements.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »

Bob

I would hope that someone who is familiar with the policy of Apartheid & the ANC would not use the term "terrorist" so lightly...
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »
I thought "eco-terrorists" were CAUSING environmental damage... ???
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
That is disappointing for a golf enthusiast.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

Bob

I would hope that someone who is familiar with the policy of Apartheid & the ANC would not use the term "terrorist" so lightly...

Tony,

Thank you for chastising me so, but perhaps you can advise me on what term to use for some idiot who would insert nails in the trunks of trees knowing that upon cutting, someone would be maimed?

Bob

Tony Petersen

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
Bob -

I don't think chastise is the word, I just don't agree with your use of the term. To your query, I would ask the same... Can you advise me on what term to use for some idiot who would "drill, baby, drill" thus destroying what little we have left in the way of "unspoiled" wilderness?
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:17 AM »
That is disappointing for a golf enthusiast.

Paul, I think you misunderstand me.

I'm quibbling over definition. An eco-terrorist sounds like someone that attacks the environment.

I'm not implying that a golf course developer necessarily fits that definition.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »

Bob,

Or burns down new houses in the Pacific northwest because it doesn't meet their standard of green. 

Tony,

The eco-terrorists have been called that for long time.  Eco-nazis was another name but that might have bad mojo also.

Last of the unspoiled wildnerness? You need to fly over Alaska sometime, you can't imagine the scale of the place. They are talking about drilling in a little tiny speck in a remote location of state that is larger than Texas.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
Tony,

I do not wish to get into arguments about pros and cons of the green movement because it avails us nothing. I do not live on the Monterey Peninsula because I am despoiler of its natural beauty.

Had you spent more time in the Del Monte Forest you would know that the Monterey Pine is probably one of the most fecund trees on our planet. Another problem is that a goodly number of trees in the forest are seventy or more years old and once off the beaten track, their decaying carcases are an increasing fire hazard. Chopping down a few is a damn good idea.

I find it quite amazing that any numbers of anti-growth advocates (and in some cases I find their position well taken) will call upon the three-toed red billed frog to halt a golf course project. Notwithstanding that they have never seen such a creature and probably never will.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »
Bob,

Furthermore its massively irnoic that they aren't allowed to go in there and clear out the dead/weak/crowded trees and shrubs because it will actually make the forest and the area much more healthy, and quite likely more aesthically pleasing...not that Monterey Penisula needs any real help in the beauty dept.   ;D

Sam Maryland

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
on 11/13 you can get 20 people out between 7.40am and 9.10am.

I don't think they need another course...

BCrosby

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
on 11/13 you can get 20 people out between 7.40am and 9.10am.

I don't think they need another course...

Maybe not right now, but I'd bet there will be a reversion to the mean in a year or so ...

Bob -

I would think that a ban on new courses in Monterey would be a a very bad thing for golfers, but a very good thing for the investors in PB.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back