News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: You have two rounds of golf in Maui - Where do you play?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:02 PM »
Gold  and Plantation.Check the wet side weather before you drive to Plantation.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »
I played The Dunes at Maui Lani and Wailea - Gold...liked both, probably the Dunes the best.  Dunes was a pleasant surprise.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »
Weren't they turning the Village into a private Kapalua members' course?  That was the word when I was there in January 2007.  During our time in Maui, my wife and I played the Plantation three times and the Bay and Village once each.  The Plantation is an incredible golfing experience, and forget the whale watching tours - you can see plenty of them from the course.

Richard Choi

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
BTW, the snorkeling spot that Jordan was talking about is Honolua. I just got back from there. It is INCREDIBLE!!! Saw at least 30 different species of fish and was surrounded by a school of large silver fish. That was cool.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »
I preferred the Village over the Bay any day. The private course is on hold. My last trip I tried to persuade Gary Planos to reopen the Village but it won't happen.
Be the ball

Andy Doyle

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »
I visited Maui ... and had the chance to play one round of golf.  Because it was unlikely that I would have the opportunity again anytime in the foreseeable future, I chose the Plantation.

Exactly my situation 2 years ago.

It was a wild, wacky and entirely FUN round of golf, with totally distracting views of the ocean and island of Molokai.   

Exactly my experience.

One of my most fun golf experiences, ever.  I would not pass up the chance to play the Plantation Course. 

Andy

Ron Csigo

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
Richard,

Your only options on the north west end of the island are the Kapalua and Kaanapali. I personally believe that all three of the Kapalua courses are better than any of the Kaanapali courses.

I definitely agree with Rob.  The Kapalua courses are far better then the Kaanapali courses in the North. 

Rob - You mentioned that you are planning your trip early next year.  Please keep in mind that the Mercedes Championship is in January.  So, if you're heading there in January, access to the Plantation course may be difficult if you're going around the time of the tournament. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

tlavin

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »
Plantation and Makena.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
I preferred the Dunes to Makena North - and it was quite a bit cheaper.

Next year I will be playing the Plantation for sure and will also try and play both of the courses on Lanai.

Looking fwd to hearing Rich's commentary there.

On Maui, I think the drop off is pretty big from the Plantation to everything else - probably better to suck it up and pay to play there a couple of times, even with the travel.

Richard Choi

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 02:57:25 AM »
Played Koele and Manele today and I had a FANTASTIC time.

I must say these are two of the prettiest courses you will see anywhere. I've never seen colors so vivid as they are in Lanai. I don't know what is in the air, but every color just pops. Seas are as blues as they can be and fairways are bright green, with punctuation of pinks, purples, and yellows from native flowers, it is truly a cornucopia of senses for your eyes.

Manele may be the only course in the world where the views are so phenomenal that it is actually a detriment to the course. I remember the breathtaking views of the cliffs, bays, and whales and dolphines playing in the water, but I have a hard time remembering all the holes.

I will be posting a full photo tour as soon as I can edit many many photos I took today.

Wow...

Emil Weber

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 03:17:11 AM »
I visited Maui ... and had the chance to play one round of golf.  Because it was unlikely that I would have the opportunity again anytime in the foreseeable future, I chose the Plantation.

Exactly my situation 2 years ago.

It was a wild, wacky and entirely FUN round of golf, with totally distracting views of the ocean and island of Molokai.   

Exactly my experience.

One of my most fun golf experiences, ever.  I would not pass up the chance to play the Plantation Course. 

Andy

We had the chance to play the Plantation Course last year and as you said it is pure FUN.
My brother, who actually isn't interested in GCA at all, came off the round and said 'Wow, that was so much fun!'
Why? Because the wide fairway give so much freedom, because the VARIED Greens are so much fun to put on, because you were really able to work with the ground (1,5,6,7,12,17,18), and whenever we scored a bogey, we just looked towards the sea and were happy again.
Yes the Plantation is expensive, but don't forget Wailea is expensive,too, and probably much less worth it's money.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
So Richard - Sound like it was worth it to head over for the day?

They had some great packages going when I was there a few months ago so can only assume they are still around.

Looking fwd to the photo tour - I saw one of the courses from the sea (the challenge I think - we were diving the cathedrals) and wanted to jump off the boat and swim over. Spectacular setting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back