News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Top 3 Never Before Been Studied/Discussed Courses
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »
Mallow
Hyannisport
Rolling Rock (Ross nine)

TX Golf

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:54 PM »
Now that we have so many of this courses listed would any of you be willing to discuss a course or two and its architectural highlights?? As I mentioned earlier photos would be great if available. The other threads that have been started at a result of some posts have been GREAT!!!

Robert
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:29:44 PM by Robert Warren »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »

Sorry if they have been discussed before, but Toronto GC and Ancaster.

Toronto GC I have interesting information on. Hamilton I have very little of what matters beyond photos.

Give me a week or two - the last one took quite a few hours to put together.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 05:31:16 PM »
To all,

Here's my issue with requests/threads like this.

It takes work to put something good together, but since the courses have so little play - there is almost no dialogue and the profile goes away in an MTV minute.

TX Golf

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
Ian,

I completely understand and that is why I am trying to stimulate some discussion!!! Your thread on Lookout Point was exceptional and I hope that more discussion will continue in regards to it. I was asking more for a little summary with maybe a few pictures due to the extreme amount of time it takes to put together an entire profile. Anything is better than nothing. Thanks for you efforts!!!

Robert

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
I've got some interesting info. on Stanley Thompson's Green Gables course, on the north shore of Prince Edward Island (thanks to my friend, Paul McCormack, who's the current superintendent, there).

Green Gables is another Parks Canada course, constructed simultaneoulsy with Cape Breton Highlands Links, during the late 1930s. (It was recently redone by Tom McBroom.) Thompson holes amongst seaside dunes at Green Gables were lost to nature more than a half century ago, and replaced with a few -- less inspiring -- new ones by  former Thompson associate, Robbie Robinson.

Otherwise, I think we may be talking about Green Gables in the same breath as Highlands Links (maybe).

I'm on the road for the next few weeks, but will try to post some of the more interesting photos and info. Paul's shared with me in a profile, similar to Ian's on Lookout Point... bare with me though; I don't have a lot of time until winter really sets in here, in Canada.
jeffmingay.com

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
I'm an unrepenitent homer, but this is a perfect thread to ask for comment on my home course....  Camden County Club.  Routing by Travis (75% intact) and greens by Ross (maybe 80% or so now true).

What does the treehouse say?

Jamey

Ed Oden

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
Jamey, where does Camden stand on the restoration front?  I regret that I never made it down to play while Carolina had a reciprocal arrangement.

Ed

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 11:09:16 PM »
I think I've only seen one old photo of Green Gables and it looked pretty interesting, as does Chateau Montebello.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 01:33:47 AM »
I think I've only seen one old photo of Green Gables and it looked pretty interesting, as does Chateau Montebello.

Montebello is a fun course.  I think it has been remodelled extensively, but it has lots of charm and I recall it being on some pretty nice terrain.  It was originally a private club - The Seigneury Club, and I assume it was largely used on weekends by members from Montreal and Ottawa.  I gather it had quite a powerful membership.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »

Montebello is a fun course.  I think it has been remodelled extensively, but it has lots of charm and I recall it being on some pretty nice terrain.  It was originally a private club - The Seigneury Club, and I assume it was largely used on weekends by members from Montreal and Ottawa.  I gather it had quite a powerful membership.

Montebello

I think it would have been the next in line after the big five had it stayed intact.

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »
I think the three little discussed/seen courses I would put up for nomination are

Kington - first and foremost
Lakewood Shores
Burnham & Berrow 9 holer

Courses like Huntercombe, Lederach, S Pines, Whittington Heath, Delamere Forest, Strandhill have probably just made the line of being somewhat known/discussed.

Ciao

I would like to amend my nominees.  While I don't think Lakewood Shores or Burnham's 9 holer have been discussed much, I have brought up Kington before.  To replace Kington, I wouldn't mind hearing about FORMBY LADIES.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ryan Chin

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Hamilton is probably too well known(!), having been in the Top 100 in the World.
Toronto GC is a very subtle, and very stern par 70 Colt course with some solid holes (#6, #9, #10, #12 stand out). #6 is a medium length dogleg left par 4 with a bunker on the inside of the dogleg, and a green set into a left-right slope at a left to right angle. Approaches from the right have to carry a deep swale protecting short and right. Sadly I found a certain sameness to many holes, although the property was fairly flat. The greens were really quick, which gave even the smallest slopes a tremendous amount of playing interest. Holes like #1 and #18 are unfortunately bland. The club is undergoing a renovation next year by Martin Hawtree to return the bunkering to a more Colt-like style. The grass patio off the 18th green is a fantastic spot for a beverage and a bite.

My vote for untalked about Canadian course......the fabulous Royal Colwood in Victoria (A.V. Macan). That course has mostly original greens with a lot of subtle small-scale contour (alot like Capilano) and a fantastic routing.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »
Chip, we had a great go-round on Old Town Club earlier this year on GCA, so it cannot qualify for this list.

In far western New York, we discuss Ross' Country Club of Buffalo but fail to truly appreciate Colt/Allison's Park Club.  Tops out at 6800 or so but oh, goodness!  What a layout.

Niagara Frontier CC is a treat, up in Youngstown, NY, on Lake Ontario.  Ian had a hand it the redesign/addition about a decade ago, I believe.

If we tout Lookout Point as the great Travis design west of Yahnundasis, I'm fine with that.  I think it beats out Stafford and edges Cherry Hill by a nose.

Webhannet?  Putterham in Brookline?  Kebo Valley?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark_F

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 01:46:31 AM »
Woodlands has been discussed at length!

Discuss Royal Melbourne East, then.  Since you know more about it than me, you can lead off, and I'll pick your thoughts apart.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back