News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TX Golf

Top 3 Never Before Been Studied/Discussed Courses
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:41:38 PM »
As a response to Mr. Huntley's "Personal Top Ten" thread, I thought it would been fun (and educational) to start a personal top three thread in which we would discuss courses that most of us have never heard of.

I understand that there are a few people (locals) who might know the courses someone lists, but lets try and keep them obscure. I figure that ten courses is too many and that three would be a great number.

Lets all try and give a few architecturally based reasons for putting them in our top three. Pictures are welcomed and encouraged. I think this could be quite a bit of fun and lead to discussions about courses that we have previously not discussed.

I will post my top three in a bit!!!! I'm excited to see the lists.

Robert
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:44:40 PM by Robert Warren »

Tom_Doak

Re: Top 3 Never Before Been Studied/Discussed Courses
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »
Robert:

How obscure do you mean?  If it hasn't been mentioned here at all, I doubt it's worth discussing ... but there are many courses that have been mentioned here only a little, because there aren't too many people to discuss them.

Americans don't know much at all about Woodlands Golf Club in Melbourne -- the Aussies should run with that one.  It has a half-dozen holes worth discussion.

Any of the best courses in Japan (save Hirono) are under-covered here ... Naruo is the most obscure, but a good thread on Kawana would be a great thing.

For American courses, I would suggest one of the following:  Manufacturers in PA, Whitinsville in MA, or Metacomet in RI.

TX Golf

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:49:46 AM »
Tom,

By "obscure" I was trying to get at courses in which we haven't really discussed in detail on this site. I understand that many or all courses have been mentioned at least a few times on here, but I was hoping to initiate a few in depth discussions about great courses that aren't as well known.

Woodlands Golf Club is a perfect example as it is a course I have never heard of (would you mind expanding on your thoughts??), yet one that I assume I would love to learn much about. Some of the other international courses that you mentioned sound great as well. I am especially interested in the Japanese courses that you have mentioned but have absolutely no knowledge regarding them. We would all benefit if a few of you experienced travelers would give us some analysis.

I am just trying to provoke some discussion regarding courses that aren't in the "top 500" in the world, due to the fact that the majority of golfers (including myself), don't have the opportunity to play these greats on a regular basis. Thanks for your response and comments.

Robert
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:09:26 AM by Robert Warren »

Abe Summers

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 03:07:06 AM »
1) My father used to be a member at Galloway National in New Jersey.  It was highly rated when it first opened. I think since then it has slipped out of the top 100 lists.  I was not a good player at that time and the few times I played I thought the course was terribly penal.  But it might have some merit if it was on all of those lists...

2) I would like to hear more about El Cameleon in the Mexican Riviera.  I wasn't able to play when I visited, they were prepping for a tournament.  I usually like Greg Norman's courses.

3) I would like to hear more about Naruo or Kawana too.

* I am going to post my thoughts on Spring City's Lake Course one day soon (it's my home course).  It is an outstanding RTJ design and not many people know why it is internationally respected.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:05:16 AM »

From the personal top 10’s thread

Alphabetically, and just for today:

Auchterderran
Carnoustie
Dornoch
Lahinch
Muirfield
Myopia
Painswick
Pebble Beach
Rye
TPC-Sawgrass

The one that belongs on here.

Auchterderran :o  ???  ::)  8)

http://www.fifegolfcourses.co.uk/courses/coursespage.htm

“Tell me more, tell me more”
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:27:42 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
I'd like to hear more a bout the Canadian greats other than Banff and Jasper.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
I think the three little discussed/seen courses I would put up for nomination are

Kington - first and foremost
Lakewood Shores
Burnham & Berrow 9 holer

Courses like Huntercombe, Lederach, S Pines, Whittington Heath, Delamere Forest, Strandhill have probably just made the line of being somewhat known/discussed.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

TX Golf

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
Sean A,

Would you mind starting us off on a few of those as you seem to have some knowledge regarding them??

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »

From the personal top 10’s thread

Alphabetically, and just for today:

Auchterderran
Carnoustie
Dornoch
Lahinch
Muirfield
Myopia
Painswick
Pebble Beach
Rye
TPC-Sawgrass

The one that belongs on here.

Auchterderran :o  ???  ::)  8)

http://www.fifegolfcourses.co.uk/courses/coursespage.htm

“Tell me more, tell me more”

Tony

From a chapter on scottish golf in a soon to be published book.....

".....or Auchterderran-- an obscure 9-holer more than 100 years old, which sits at the edge of an old mining village in Fife. Some of the holes cross in the old-fashioned way, but most of them have distinct and intriguing character and are fully capable of raising the spirit of the visiting golfer."

...plus a few added words which fell unloved onto the editing room floor.

"In the early morning or in the gloaming, both Loch Lomond and Auchterderran can be beautiful for what they are, but it is not an easy choice as to which course to pick if what a player is looking for is purely golf."

My list focused on the courses which "stir my heart."  Auchterderran does so not only due to its history, its humility and its savage beauty, but also due to the fact that Fife Council is seriously considering selling this gem to housing developers because it can't think of a way to make it "profitable," in a purely economic sense.  The barbarians are at the gates, even (especially?) in Scotland...... :'(

Rich
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:33:59 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Ash Towe

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
Arrowtown in the South Island of New Zealand.  Hard and fast playing conditions, small targets, a real fun place to play and only $30 a round.

Kinloch, In Taupo.  A Nicklaus course.  Considered by some of my friends as too hard and penal.  Others think it is a great challenge with some terrific holes.  I' ve only played it once and cannot make up my mind yet. 

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »

Sean,

Pick a course - or two - or three (so I can choose according to what I know and what I have on each) - and I will profile it for you the best I can.

How's that?

Ian

mark chalfant

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »
Old Elm  good Colt  design built  by Ross

Agawam  Hunt    short quirky  combo  of Ross  and  Park  in  RI

Weston  and  Lookout  Point,  both  Golden  Age in  Ontario

Lockport, NY  9  by Thompson

Davenport  CC,   Alison  in Iowa

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:15:26 PM »
CC of Detroit is a place I'd like to learn more about. Another course I'd like to see discussed more is Maidstone. I know it's been discussed to some degree, but after seeing it recently I'm surprised it's not talked about more. The history of place is just fascinating and the place feels like a trip back in time.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David_Elvins

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »
Woodlands Golf Club is a perfect example as it is a course I have never heard of (would you mind expanding on your thoughts??)

The 4th at Woodlands is a great short par 4 on average land.

The view from the tee on this 260 yard hole is is not intimidating.

THe next too photos show how important it is to position the tee shot in the middle of the fairway, even iff close to the green.  The green is often rock hard (Greg Norman is supoosed to have hit th green on the fly and the ball bounced over the fence onto the road behind) and it is narrower at the front than it looks.  Not uncommon for pros to chip back and forth from one side of the green to the other in tournaments.  Plenty of 6s, 7s and 8s for those players that don't work out the correct strategy and execute properly. 

For the very middle of the fairweay the shot is managable.

from the wrong side of the fairway, the shot becomes almost impossible.

A great short 4 on average land. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
Old Town Club - Perry Maxwell 1939
Austin Golf Club - Coore & Creenshaw 2001
Lookout Mountian - Seth Raynor 1925
Indian Creek - Flynn
Oyster Harbors - Donald Ross 1927
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:53:51 PM by Chip Gaskins »

John_Conley

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
Eau Claire won't qualify because I did prepare a good-sized course review a few years back.

I'll nominate Winona CC (has been renamed the Bridges I think Shelman told me), Owatonna CC, and Farmers Golf & Health Club in Sanborn, Minnesota.  (Don't visit FC&HC unless you are in the area, but don't miss it if you are.)

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »

Sean,

Pick a course - or two - or three (so I can choose according to what I know and what I have on each) - and I will profile it for you the best I can.

How's that?

Ian

Cataraqui and Kawartha

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
Tom,

Woodlands Golf Club is a perfect example as it is a course I have never heard of (would you mind expanding on your thoughts??), yet one that I assume I would love to learn much about. Some of the other international courses that you mentioned sound great as well. I am especially interested in the Japanese courses that you have mentioned but have absolutely no knowledge regarding them. We would all benefit if a few of you experienced travelers would give us some analysis.

Robert:

This thread contains my description of a round at Woodlands:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,21294.0.html

Adam Russell

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
I would love to see current desriptions/pictures of these

Klub Rimba Irian  - Coore/Crenshaw
Bali Handara - Peter Thomson
Royal Calcutta
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
I'll second the nomination of Indian Creek.  To this day I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 04:16:14 PM »
Bald Peak
Berkshire Hills

All of the RI Ross courses...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

Sean,

How's that?

Ian

Cataraqui and Kawartha

Sorry if they have been discussed before, but Toronto GC and Ancaster.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
What about Belvoir Park in Belfast, my Granddad plays a couple of times every year and really likes it. It gets the ...nice course...Colt...Hawtree... treatment both here and in the golf mags but not much more. Does anyone have any thoughts or photos, I think there is a couple of members on here.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »
Huntington (Emmet)
Mar del Plata (Park)
Mayfield (Barker)
Hyannisport (Ross?)
Spa (Simpson)
Falkenstein (Colt)
Biella (Morrison)
Villa d'Este (Gannon)

Chris Kane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back