News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Bedford Springs in the Fall: glorious New
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »
I spent a few days at Bedford Springs (Bedford, PA) this week and I loved it.  The entire package there is fantastic.  Yes, it is pricey, but it is a resort, right?  ;)  I'm obviously an amateur taking pics, but I think many of these are pretty darn good.  :)

After all the discussion I've seen on the course, there has been limited photos.  I played there late on Tuesday afternoon, then early on Wed morning.  I cobbled together the photos from both rounds to give a photo album of almost 200 pics that are here if you wish to view them all:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/BedfordSprings/index.html

But for this thread I'll select various photos and also include a description for each hole included in the bound book of each room at the resort (when did you ever see this?!).

Ok, let's get started.

The first hole is one Mike Cirba says is the worst opening hole in golf.... well, at least that is what I think he said.  :)   It is a short par 4 requiring just an iron off the tee and a short iron in to a very small green.  It is not the hilite of the course.

The 2nd is a par 3 that apparently hasn't changed much since the original 1895 design of Spencer Oldham.  From the tips there is a large carry over the wetlands/creek, but with plenty of bailout room right, although there is a single trap there:

The 3rd is a straight-away par 5 with some interesting bunkering and a tough green:

The 4th is the Ross volcano par 3:

The 5th is a double dogleg par 5, relatively flat:

The sixth hole is another Ross, a shortish par 4, beautifully framed, with a smallish green with a neat back tier:

The seventh is another short par 4 with the creek in play, to a very unusually shaped green:

#8:  another short par 4 with a tee ball over the creek, which really isn't an issue, but the tough part here is a tiny green.

The 9th is the 3rd par 5 on the outward nine, reachable in two and again with a tributary of Shober's Run to be crossed:

The 10th is a little par 3 over a gully, not the best par 3 on the course for me but the green is interesting:

The eleventh has some elevation change with the drive pretty much blind, trying to land on a pretty generous flat part of the fairway:

A straight par 4 follows at No12:

The 13th is a par 5 called "Long".  Which it is.  :)

The 14th is called "Tiny Tim", a short slightly downhill par 3:

On the 15th you have the choice of playing conservatively out to the right leading to a longer 2nd shot in to this par 4, or trying to lace a drive between the opening in the trees leaving a chip shot in to a very contoured green:

Another par 5 awaits at the 16th, running modestly downhill with cross bunkers and a brick wall protecting cars along the road!

The 17th is a par 3 that was resurrected in the restoration and I'm thankful for it as I love the hole. Yeah, it is tight in that part of the course, the hole teeing off real close to the 16th green, but it works.

Some might be disappointed in the closing hole as it isn't some 460 yard par 4 beast... but I don't mind a carefully crafted par 4 finish.  All the fairway bunkers make determining the line challenging, with an uphill short second shot to an elevated, contoured green:

As others have said previously, Bedford Springs might be a bit much for some golfers with many forced carries.  But for the better golfer, this place is a likely big-time hit.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:29:29 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

wsmorrison

Re: Bedford Springs in the fall: glorious
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »
WOW.  I walked the course with Ron and Jim during construction and it was easy to see that this was going to be a very fine course.  These pictures sure make it seem that it exceeded some lofty expectations. 

What did you think of the hotel, Joe?  Did you stay overnight?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
I swung by there last week on my way to a project but only had limited time to see the course.  What I saw looked great as did the hotel.  I wonder how it will do in this economy?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »
Great job Joe.  I played there about a month ago and your pictures really capture the spirit of the course.  I loved the course and am so glad it made a comeback.  i had played it about fifteen years ago and the difference is astonishing. 

Wayne the hotel is very good and keeps an 19th century feel, albeit in 21st century style.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
We stayed for 3 nights.  I could quibble about some things, but overall the hotel was very nice.  And my wife enjoyed the spa immensely.  I just hope the lessened economy doesn't unduly impact the place.  The conditioning at the golf course was as good as any private course I've played this year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:59:04 PM by Joe Bausch »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
Holy Cow!  What a place.

That 6th hole looks amazing, the whole place looks amazing.  Already put it on the calendar for 2009.

Great pics.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Bedford Springs in the Fall: glorious
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
Joe - great pictures...  But it seems pretty expensive for the area.   But then again, we like golf, golf, golf.  Not the spa types ;)

Joe Bausch

Re: Bedford Springs in the Fall: glorious New
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
Dan, right now they have a deal, if you want to call it that, of 199 bucks a room, double occupancy, with unlimited golf.  I saw a couple of groups of guys that were taking advantage of it.

We also took a little trip to Fallingwater.  Here's the obligatory picture of a place that blew me away architecturally:

All my Fallingwater photos are here:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/fallingwater/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:37:19 PM by Joe Bausch »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
Looks like I will be playing there next September for my annual PA fall trip. The course is stunning!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
What did you think of the man vs. nature juxtaposition at Fallingwater??? ;D

Great Pics of a great looking course.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
The TV show "This Old House" has almost a full episode dedicated to Fallingwater. What a cool place. However I am more impressed with that golf course. I need to get there. It looks like it is in fantastic condition.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
who did the redo on the course, and when?

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »
Joe, absolutely stunning photography.  Thanks!  The course looks terrific.  To my untrained eye there appear to be several bunker styles in use.  I assume that is a product of the lineage of GCAs that have worked on the course over the years.  Does it feel mixed or cohesive?

Ed

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:50:22 PM »
JNC:  a house built basically on top of a stream sure is a juxtaposition, but somehow FLW made it work.

Mike:  the conditioning at Bedford was exceptional.  I've not seen anyplace with better this year.  Well, maybe Llanerch.

Chip, the history of the course is here:

http://www.bedfordspringsresort.com/history/golf_history.asp

I believe the restoration was done by Ron Forse and Jim Nagle.

Ed:  FandN have done a remarkable job of incorporating some bunkering styles from all the previous architects (Oldham, Tilly, then Ross).  And it is pretty cohesive, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:18:14 AM by Joe Bausch »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
Joe - I'm glad you got to Fallingwater - I know you were thinking about a visit on your way back home from the Pete Dye GC outing (Thanks, Charlie!) in West Virginia.

Here's a question - do you think FLW's work inspired any GOLF architecture?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 01:05:43 AM »
Bedford Springs as restored by Ron Forse and Jim Nagle is an architectural afficianado's wet dream.

It reminds me of that Ben Stiller movie where the museum comes to life.   

There are a few drawbacks, and the everpresent widened creek takes the form of wetlands in a few places, and requires a few more forced carries than would have been desirable, but overall, the course is a wonderful treat, and certainly one of the best 2 or 3 courses available to the public in the state.

But rather than compare and contrast, I think I'd rather just let Joe's wonderful pictures speak for themselves.   They do a pretty tremendous job of it, don't you think?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:07:30 AM by MikeCirba »

TX Golf

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 01:23:17 AM »
Interesting that you guys mention FLW on this thread. Recently the golf channel has focused quite a bit on a private golf club on Maui, King Kamehameha Golf Club, which has a clubhouse designed by FLW. The course does not play very well in the wind, which is unfortunate because it is in one of the windiest spots on the island. I have had the chance to play it a few times when it was in-between owners, or bankrupt, and it really was not all that fun. However, back to the club house.

Supposedly, Marilyn Monroe and her husband (I don't remember his name off the top of my head) hired FLW to design a house for them. However, they divorced before the house was ever built and the plans were buried in storage. Thirty years later a group of Japanese business men bought the plans and hired an understudy of FLW do modify the house into the current clubhouse at King Kamehameha. Long story short, it is odd, interesting, yet very cool at the same time. I hope you guys get the chance to check it out some day. While you are at it..... The Dunes and Maui Lani is right down the street and is a fun golf course if you ever get the chance. Sorry if the is thread jacking.

Robert

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 06:58:24 AM »
Have you been thinking about a trip to Bedford Springs to check it out?!  Next week is a good time, in particular if you are trying to save a few bucks.  This from their web page, which sounds great b/c their regular 18 hole rate is ~120 bucks:

End the Season in Full Swing with Golfer Appreciaton Week! October 27-31,2008

$79 per player, per day - includes unlimited rounds of golf, cart, greens fee and use of practice facility prior to round.

Reservations for tee times can be made starting October 24th, 2008.

Richard Boult

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
  Bravo! Joe.  Nice picts and presentation.  The place looks educationally fascinating.

BTW. Am I the last one to know about Art's Bookmark collection?  Great idea. If this feature has never had its own thread to make us aware, it should.  I had better get to work on a pictorial of Royal Husum Hills National TPC.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back