News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

While listening to NPR in the car today, I heard a discussion of the very tight Oregon Senate race, including mention that Smith's Democratic opponent was hammering Smith for his having purchased several antique golf clubs for more than $1.2 million.

Setting aside the politics (Please! Take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard before you click "Post"), what does anybody know about the clubs and about Sen. Smith's refined tastes in golf?

Garland Bayley

Re: Only slightly OT - Oregon Sen. Gordon Smith's antique club purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »
Wiki Answers says

He purchased several antique golf clubs said to have belonged to King James IV of Scotland.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
He bought them at auction twelve years ago.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
I looked him up on GHIN, and all I found were some late 80's and early 90's (!?) scores at Pendleton Country Club in Oregon.  (I never knew they had such old scores on GHIN.)  Nothing in Maryland or Virginia.  i.e., Congressional or Burning Tree.
The old scores had him as 15-index.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »
I look forward to assisting Gordon in lowering his index...as a lobbiest he will probably be spending more time on the course.  ;)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »
A-ha!

I knew there was a reason that he bailed on the debate with Merkley (sp) this evening.

Those antique clubs will always come back to haunt you . . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back