News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Thoughts on Shady Oaks CC
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
I had the opportunity to play Shady Oaks CC in Fort Worth, Texas on Friday and had a great time.  The course is not long (6800-6900 yards from the tips), but I found it to be challenging.  The greens had just been punched after the USGA Senior Amateur, but they still rolled well even though they were alledgedly not as fast as usual. 

I am not a big fan of Texas golf and have only played a couple RTJ courses, but I thought this course was pretty good, especially the first 7 holes and the last 3.  There are two par fives in a row on the back nine (14 and 15) where you have to hit a fairway medal off the tee.   

I also enjoy learning about the history of the game, so it was pretty cool to see Ben Hogan's lockers.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this course?

mike_beene

Re: Thoughts on Shady Oaks CC
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »
Shady has a real RTJ feel to me:those broad shouldered elevated greens.A big piece of property,with a little real estate feel on the front.When the pins are set on the lower parts of the greens it can get really difficult.Two really long par 3s.I dont understand the thought that it is easier than Colonial.Oddly,the front nine reminds me of Mauna Kea.You feel like Mr. Hogan lurks in the shadows.A very comfortable place.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:05 PM »
Deucie,

I'm glad you got to play Shady Oaks, sorry they just punched the greens.  Brent the superintendent does a great job out there and when the greens get above a 10.5 they are some of the most difficult I have ever put on.  Shady might not get the national recognition that Colonial does and the golf course is probably not as good, but there is a ton of history out there with Mr. Hogan and it appears that is going to keep going.  It might be the only club in the country to have a member on the Ryder Cup team (Chad Campbell) and Solhiem Cup team (Angela Stanford). 

Hopefully you were able to make your way around the Little Nine.  I personally like it better than the actual golf course.  It has so much character and knowing that Ben Hogan beat balls out there every day makes you feel like you are touching a piece of history. 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Deucie Bies

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »
Trey,

Unfortunately, I did not play the little nine.  It looked like it would have been a lot of fun.  I understand the greens on the little nine are a different type of grass than what is found on the course.  What a great place!

Deucie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back