GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

When is linksland not linksland

(1/7) > >>

Neal_Meagher:
Must "linksland" adhere to the strictest definition of being at the confluence of a river to the sea?  What of a site that resides several to many miles inland, but along a river that empties to the sea that contains many linksland characteristics?

Specifically, I'm speaking of a site alongside a river that has had dredgings heaped upon it in the 40's and 50's which, in essence, creates a sandy base some 20 feet deep and which would be pretty much the same sand as if it were at the sea.  Included with this site are more or less constant winds blowing in from the Pacific, though moderated somewhat by distance and topography.

I think that the general location separates this from, say Sandhills, which is completely at the mercy of continental weather systems, rather than coastal ones.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ForkaB:
Neal

You have probably read much more on this subject than have I, but I am pretty sure that rivers are only peripheral to the phenomenon of "linksland."  The key factor (I think) is land which has been reclaimed from a receding sea.  Mullen, NE is just as much "reclaimed" land as is Cruden Bay.  I am not sure if Pebble Beach, or Bandon or even Southampton really qualify.......

RJ_Daley:
Well Neal, what are you getting at?  Are you exploring a piece of property up the river and looking for some justification to call it "linksland" without getting called out on some technicality of its' exact geographic nature?  If it is a nice piece of property and has unique qualities that in many ways fit the characteristics of linksland, who cares what it is termed.  It can be riverside dunes, alluvial plain, dredged-up flats, sandy barrens, sand mounds, Sand-scrub acres, sand bluffs... whatever.  Just so you route something good on it, let the public come to refer to it as they will without the pre-market survey hype. What do they call it presently?  

Bob_Huntley:
A visitor to South Africa some years ago asked me why the country had so many golf courses. I went into the history of golf in the country and mentioned some of the more prominent venues. He mentioned that even in Magoubuskloof, a beautiful spot the the Eastern Transvaal he saw a sign for the golf course there. I hastily corrected him and said "Sorry, but there is no course there."

Eventually, I realized what had him confused. He saw road signs reading "HOU LINKS", which happens to be "KEEP LEFT" in Afrikaans.

Michael Dugger:
Thus, by Shivas' rationale, what is Whistling Straits?  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version