News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

I have been slowly researching the ‘Duffers’ Course – originally a 12 hole course dating from 1897 and designed for Ladies or beginners at St Andrews which runs between the West Sands and The New Course (see attached sketch). This course is today known as the Jubilee Course. I have also found some documents on the proposed extension to a full 18 hole course to meet the constant congestion suffered back then in St Andrews.

The preparation of the plan by Old Tom accommodated the Links Committee concerns regards the ‘Shooting butts and range’ within the revised layout of the Jubilee Course. Both proceed to a meeting with the Town Council in July 1903 where the proposal was unanimously adopted. Further details on this course to follow later, but during my research I came across a very disturbing article which I attach below. It refers to David Honeyman and his death.

To those who know St Andrews and its early history, may well know the name of David Honeyman. He was Old Tom’s close assistant and was officially the Foreman employed by The R&A. He was in his own right a very kind and considerate man who enjoyed his life and work. Read the following article published in The Scotsman on the 8th of June 1903 – I’ll say no more.

Phil_the_Author

Melvyn,

Do you know when Honeyman came to America to work? Among the courses that he did for Tillinghast was Brook Hollow from fall 1920-22 and then he went on and oversaw Sunnehaana in Pennsylvania and several more in that area.

I am not surprised that he came to America with golf course work halting from the early teens in the UK due to WW I. I am also not surprised that he went to work for Tilly as he obviously knew him well as a result of his trips to Scotalnad and relationships with Old Tom and most of those involved in the game in Scotland at the time.

mike_beene

I am confused.Did he die in 1903?If so,it seems unlikely he worked on BH in 1920.

Neil_Crafter

Melvyn
Not a nice way to go I would suggest. I once got a splash of ammonia in my eye when using an ammonia based plan printing machine (in the ancient days before big photocopiers) and it was agony. Can't imagine drinking it though - thought the smell of it would have hit him before he got it to his mouth? Maybe he was used to drinking some fiery Scottish tipples and the ammonia fumes seemed OK?

Philip
Must have been a different Honeyman (a son perhaps?) as this one looks like he dropped dead in 1903 as Mike B suggests.

Phil_the_Author

Well,

That answers that! It also shows how information can be misinterpreted. When I first came across the article about David Honeyman at Brook Hollow, I asked about who he might have been. The consensus, on here and elsewhere, was that this was Old Tom's Honeyman...

I'll have to look up who answered, but I believe they all lived on this side of the pond...
 ;D

Thanks for the help on that... Next question then; did he have a son named David who moved over here?

I think this is going to be a tough and fun question to answer...

Jeff_Brauer

Neil,

I am with you on that one. I once saw someone sniff the ammonia bottle for prints to see if it was too old to use. It knocked him right over and right out.  Can't imagine this gent didn't notice, unless it was his age, or if he had been drinking a lot of the other liquid he imagined this to be beforehand!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Thomas MacWood

Thats a crazy story about Honeyman's demise. I can't imagine anyone drinking anything that strong....of course, as Neil suggests, I have no idea what the whisky was like back then. The only thing that would make sense is what Jeff said, if Honeyman was completely trashed when he poured the drink, even that is questionable. I suspect foul play.

Neil_Crafter

a Russian hit man in the employ of the Robertson family, still bitter over the gutty issue?

Melvyn Morrow

Neil

Just for you on a happier subject. No Bulgarian hit men – not spiked drinks, just old fashion courtesy.   

Bill_McBride

Neil,

I am with you on that one. I once saw someone sniff the ammonia bottle for prints to see if it was too old to use. It knocked him right over and right out.  Can't imagine this gent didn't notice, unless it was his age, or if he had been drinking a lot of the other liquid he imagined this to be beforehand!

I understand that sometimes a really cheap gin will smell a bit like ammonia!  :P

Rich Goodale

Just to add a bit more info/coincidence to that Summer of '03, Honeyman was replaced later that year by Hugh Hamilton, who had been the head gardener at Skibo Castle (working for Carnegie) and also a close collaborator with John Sutherland in the agronomic development of Dornoch.  Laurie Auchterlonie said that "Within one year Hugh Hamilton improved the St. Andrews' greens out of all recognition."

Melvyn Morrow

Richard

I believe you are right, but if my memory serves me correctly within 3-5 years did the course not fall in to a very poor condition and continued up to and around 1912. The R&A seemed rather unhappy at the time, if I recall correctly and also the course for the first time in decades started to pool water.

I don’t know the exact reason, but it was the time that Hugh Hamilton poisoned all the worms and used his soil mix. It was also a time of change with the new Golden Age architects finding their feet and starting to distance themselves from some of the earlier designers. Not always in a generous & courteous fashion. 

Rich Goodale

Sorry Melvin, but I was just a toddler in 1903 and do not have any remaining memories of those days.  I was just quoting Mr. Auchterlonie who apparently did when he said so in the 1970's(reported as a direct statement to him by the Rev. Donald Grant, in his memoirs). ;)

Rich

BCrosby

Rich -

What did you hear from your perambulator about why Low and Paton were asked to add bunkers to TOC circa 1905?

Bob
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:19:36 AM by BCrosby »

Melvyn Morrow

Richard

I have checked up on the Old Course at St Andrews and whilst I mentioned you were correct, I am afraid to say, so was I.

Hugh Hamilton was Green keeper at Portmarnock before take over from Old Tom. His methods were different to Old Tom’s and he was indeed responsible for the demise of the worms and the introduction of seeding, artificial fertiliser not just to the Greens but fairways as well. There is a newspaper article- I think in the Scotsman circa 1903 (which I can’t currently put my hand on at the moment) in which Old Tom disagreed with his methods and stated that time would tell who was correct.

You are right that Hamilton’s methods made some improvement but they were short lived and actually was a disaster, doing some major damage to the Old Course. H.S.C. Everard in Golf Illustrated also criticised his methods and that it made the Greens very slow. Apparently his methods changed the nature of TOC.

Melvyn

Rich Goodale

Sounds plausible, to me, Melvyn.  Just to repeat, I am only the messenger--please don't try to shoot me, shoot Donald Grant, or (since he is deid, and shooting is a bad thing) sardonically ruffle his grandnephew Alan of Skibo.......  Or, could it be that there was (is?) a serious feud between the Morris and Auchterlonie Clans?

Bob C

Again I only report, and this time from the Jarrett history of St. Andrews, that Low (respresenting the Club and the Committee) wanted to recreate the challenge to golfing strategy of the whinns that previous to "The Widening" occupied the land to the right of the outwards holes.

Sorry that I can't remember anything more from my days in the perambulator, but I love that old word.  Thanks.

Rich

Tony_Muldoon

Melvyn I'm sure you are right here, he was pushed out early in that second decade.

I can't prove it (yet), but I think it was not coincidental that Colt was appointed as an advisor to the R&A about the same time.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

Philip

Re David Honeyman had a son also called David, he married in 1895 them moved to Mexico for 5 years as a Professional – I don’t know the club  - but he then moved to the USA around 1900.

So this could be the David Honeyman you mentioned although by the 1920 he would I expect be in his 50’s. But he certainly was a Professional in Mexico before moving to the USA.

Trust this will be of some assistance.

Melvyn

Scott Macpherson

Melvyn I'm sure you are right here, he was pushed out early in that second decade.

I can't prove it (yet), but I think it was not coincidental that Colt was appointed as an advisor to the R&A about the same time.

HI Tony,

I am one person who is looking forward to seeing if you can prove if Colt was an official 'advisor' to the R&A. I didn't come across any proof in my research about TOC. My guess is that he offered some advice, but it was in an unofficial capacity -but all that is perhaps better as another thread when you find out.

regards,

scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back