News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Idle Hour
« on: October 09, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
I seem to recall that Brad Klein is high on recent work done at Idle Hour (Lexington, KY), which is rarely, if ever mentioned here.  Any insights?

Bogey
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:30:30 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PThomas

Re: Idle Hour
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »
what a coincidence...yesterday i was talking to a guy who recommended the course
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »
I played there about a year ago and it is absolutely fantastic.

I didn't know tons about it going into my round there other than it is a Ross that was recently restored/renovated.

It far exceeded my expectations. While it is in a neighborhood, it is a course with a significant amount of land. There is elevation change, there is a good variety of holes, the greens are interesting.

Simply put, it was easily the biggest surprise I had in 2007. I expected it to be a nice, fun Ross course and it turned out to be very, very strong.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

I didn't know tons about it going into my round there other than it is a Ross that was recently restored/renovated.

It far exceeded my expectations. While it is in a neighborhood, it is a course with a significant amount of land. There is elevation change, there is a good variety of holes, the greens are interesting.

Simply put, it was easily the biggest surprise I had in 2007. I expected it to be a nice, fun Ross course and it turned out to be very, very strong.

thanks Jeff..do you know who did the recent work on it?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »
Ron Prichard did the work. I believe that it was done after he did work at Beverly and before he did the Charlotte CC work.

Pete Garvey

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »

Jeff:

Thank you for the kind words.  Idle Hour is very special and Ron Prichard did an excellent job.  By the way, Bradley Klein was a wonderful resource and helped with the education about Donald Ross.  Both Ron and Bradley are true gentlemen. 

Pete Garvey

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

Again, thanks Jeff.   Not only was it a pleasure working with Ron Prichard but the shaper on the project was Gordon Singer from EarthForce.  I swear he, Gordon, could scratch your shoulder with his back hoe and never budge you.  The touch of an artist indeed!  We're very proud of "Kentucky's Only Ross" in the heart of the Bluegrass.....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
Sounds like I need to make a trip over there.  Does anyone happen to have any pictures?

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
Pete,
nice to have your here.

Nick from the Nicklaus course about 60 miles to your west :)

Pete Garvey

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
Pete,
nice to have your here.

Nick:

Thanks for the welcoming.  Has the course recovered?

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
Pete,
nice to have your here.

Nick:

Thanks for the welcoming.  Has the course recovered?
Members say it hasnt been in this good of condition for 15 years.  Few rough spots from the tents and stands but its all been reseeded and sodded.  The playing areas are perfect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back