News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Re: You are about to tee...
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 08:33:44 AM »
I'm not too sure about that sign dictating the best method of play. Looking at the photo of the approach taken from the middle of the fairway,  I'd prefer a fading 3 wood or driver from the tee, leaving a 75yard putt for my second!  ;D

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

TX Golf

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
Thought I would post a few pictures of my time at Prestwick. I love the picture of the guy playing while walking his dog.

only at Prestwick

Bell behind the blind 5th green

View from behind the 16th green

Walking of the 12th tee

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »
Robert,

I remember during my days when I had the pleasure of playing Alwoodley on a regular basis that some of the members (including a vicar I think) used to take their dogs with them on the round.

Is that Sergio hanging his head in the last photo? ;D

TX Golf

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
Jon,

Not Sergio, but my little brother who is still yet to beat me. Kind of like Sergio and his lack of Majors. ;D :D

Deucie Bies

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »
Wow, I had forgotten how quirky and special Prestwick is.

Sam Maryland

Re:You are about to tee...
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 07:51:45 AM »
Patrick, a friend of mine (an ex-Captain) takes his dog with him every time he plays - dogs are condoned if not encouraged.

sounds like my kind of place!

I played 2 of Golf Digest's Top 12 (in N. Ireland) and I love the fact that if you want to carry your bag, fine.  pull cart, fine.  caddy, that's fine too.  Prestwick, bring your dog.

great courses here in the N/E are way too hung up on mandatory caddies...be interesting to see how this economic body blow will affect those programs.

SM

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »
Forgive my repeating the story, but legend has it that someone teed off from the 1st at Prestwick, slicing the ball onto the railway track, from which it bounced back onto the fairway. He sliced his second shot onto the railway track and that, too, bounced back - onto the green. He holed out for a 3.

I have witnessed someone bounce his third shot onto the 11th green at R Troon from the railway line.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 08:13:29 AM »
Thanks for the pics Bart, I forget how great that first hole is. Like Patrick said, no warm up, gallery from teh train station usually present, makes for a nerve racking tee shot. We played twosomes that day and I beat my opponent 6 & 5. I hit 5 iron wedge for a birdie on 1 and it was smooth sailing after that.
Mr Hurricane

Bart Bradley

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
Thanks for the pics Bart, I forget how great that first hole is. Like Patrick said, no warm up, gallery from teh train station usually present, makes for a nerve racking tee shot. We played twosomes that day and I beat my opponent 6 & 5. I hit 5 iron wedge for a birdie on 1 and it was smooth sailing after that.

Jim:

Wasn't it just a great day of golf... And weren't you surprised to find that first hole?  Amazing place.  This course did play F&F...I hit a thin 5 iron, 9 iron and made par...

Bart

Jim Franklin

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »
Bart -

Yes the first hole was a total surprise. The whole day was terrific until we got to the lunch. I could not tell what they were serving. Fortunately I saw a Pizza Hut on our way in and had our driver pick a few pizzas on our way back to Turnberry. That was the best call of the trip.
Mr Hurricane

Bart Bradley

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »
Bart -

Yes the first hole was a total surprise. The whole day was terrific until we got to the lunch. I could not tell what they were serving. Fortunately I saw a Pizza Hut on our way in and had our driver pick a few pizzas on our way back to Turnberry. That was the best call of the trip.

Like many places on our trip, the scotch was the best thing to "eat".  ;D

Another funny story about my trip to Prestwick:
It became clear that by the 12th hole I was absolutely killing my father-in-law in match play.  His caddy just got more and more annoyed with him ... I am sure the caddies had a bet on our match....My caddy was just grinning wider with each and every hole.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »
Bart -

Like many places on our trip, the scotch was the best thing to "eat".  ;D

Another funny story about my trip to Prestwick:
It became clear that by the 12th hole I was absolutely killing my father-in-law in match play.  His caddy just got more and more annoyed with him ... I am sure the caddies had a bet on our match....My caddy was just grinning wider with each and every hole.

The caddies do bet which is funny. On a match at Turnberry, I was playing like a dog for the first 6 holes and my caddy was not happy, and then all of the sudden I drained a long birdie putt, he perked up. Next hole was a tap in, he really perked up, and the next hole and the next hole. I then made an ace and my caddy yells at the other caddy, "how do you like that you f**kin' fat wee bastard!". All in a very thick Scottish accent and my buddy and I were crackin' up. Priceless.
Mr Hurricane

Bart Bradley

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
Jim:

PRICELESS.

What the hell are we doing HERE?  I need to get back to Prestwick soon.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back