News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

St. Regis at Monarch Beach
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:13 AM »
I had never heard of this course and resort until it hit the news today.  How is the golf and have you ever pampered your pooch?

Pamper Your Pooch Package
The package consists of an overnight stay in a Resort view guestroom, a personalized welcome letter to the pet, the exclusive St. Regis doggy bed, pet amenities including “Sniffany & Co.”, “Bark Jacobs”, “Dog Perignon”, or “Jimmy Chew” toys, personalized silver food and water bowls, an array of treats, biscuits, and bones, along with an issue of Hollywood Dog! Pricing for this package begins at $545 per night. (two-night minimum required)

http://www.stregismonarchbeach.com/index.cfm?action=golf.start&navGroupID=8    

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:35:44 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Sean Leary

Re: St. Regis at Monarch Beach
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:17:07 AM »
Jaka,

I have played it a few times. All I can say it that it is a nice hotel.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
There are other pooches that get pampered there; the cost might be well above $545 per night; but they might waive the minimum. The hotel is perhaps the defining moment of Orange County obnoxiousness, but you could bump into a drunk Heather Locklear at the bar, in which case any money would be well spent.

I live within walking distance of the course. It's a poor RTJ2 design, average conditioning, high price, winding thru multiple housing tracts, with mounding, blinding white sand, hard doglegs over houses, perhaps the worst oceanfront hole on the planet, a "short" surrounded by a moat/street/houses.....you get the point. On a positive note, #7 is a hell of a golf hole; but 1/18 is still an F-minus.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »
you could bump into a drunk Heather Locklear at the bar, in which case any money would be well spent.

Jon:
Any personal experiences you'd care to share with us?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »
Its not just for dogs either...or should I say not just the 4-legged types.

Also for poor down-trodden execs who need to perk up after being so close to going over the cliff edge.  Giving these guys more money is like giving a crack addict more crack....very nice.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5973452&page=1

Less than a week after the federal government committed $85 billion to bail out AIG, executives of the giant AIG insurance company headed for a week-long retreat at a luxury resort and spa, the St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, California, Congressional investigators revealed today.

AIG documents ... show the company paid more than $440,000 for the retreat, including nearly $200,000 for rooms, $150,000 for meals and $23,000 in spa charges.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:09:20 PM by Kalen Braley »

Peter Wagner

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »
The only good thing about the St. Regis is the terrific beach club they own.  The hotel is across Pacific Coast Highway from the beach but they will shuttle you over.  Given the choice between playing their golf course or going to Monarch Beach... I'd definitely take a day at the beach.

And yes you might see Heather-be-thy-name at the bar 1 night a year but the other 364 she lives up here in my home town baby.  It's common to see Heather around town and although she's pushing 50 she has still got it going on. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »
I was surprised that they spent three times as much on spa treatments as golf.  $7,000 for a golf outing seems reasonable in the context of the event.  I know that even last year the spa at French Lick was empty while the course was full.  Could the spa industry be in more trouble than even golf?

Here is a copy of the amazing/confusing bill.  http://tinyurl.com/3qkxqq
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:22:07 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:45:09 PM »
but you could bump into a drunk Heather Locklear at the bar, in which case any money would be well spent.

She wouldn't be drunk, she'd be cracked out on pharmies...

Look at those eyes!!!!

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
I dunno... I think it's the truest test of golf skill in this nation.

Tom "I shot 69 there in a drunken event with my wife's co-workers" Huckaby

ps - it is one hell of a hotel. I know my wife spent more than her share on spa activities.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »
There are other pooches that get pampered there; the cost might be well above $545 per night; but they might waive the minimum. The hotel is perhaps the defining moment of Orange County obnoxiousness, but you could bump into a drunk Heather Locklear at the bar, in which case any money would be well spent.

I live within walking distance of the course. It's a poor RTJ2 design, average conditioning, high price, winding thru multiple housing tracts, with mounding, blinding white sand, hard doglegs over houses, perhaps the worst oceanfront hole on the planet, a "short" surrounded by a moat/street/houses.....you get the point. On a positive note, #7 is a hell of a golf hole; but 1/18 is still an F-minus.

Here are a couple shots of the oceanfront hole, the 3rd.  I couldn't agree with Jon more...just a horribly designed golf hole.  315 yards from the tips, par four where the only safe play is a 6 or 7-iron tee shot to the 150 marker unless you want to roll the dice with a long iron or 3-wood and snap it around the corner.

Tee Shot:

From Behind the Green:

Decent green site and a nice vista looking back toward the ocean and the bluffs but this is the best hole they could come up with for the sliver of land they wanted to use on the shoreline?  Supremely disappointing experience, especially at the inflated price they charge.

I agree with everyone about the hotel though.  One of the nicest I've ever stayed in and the beach area is quite good.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
What kills me about the course is that they market the hell out this "oceanside" hole and it probably is the worst hole on the course.

But safe play?  Hell you only live once, Matt.  The only real play is to bomb one over the trees and get it on the green!

;D

I too did enjoy staying at the hotel.

TH

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »
Huck:
Did you see Heather? 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
Huck:
Did you see Heather? 

No sir.  And I wasn't shy about looking, either.  Oh well....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
I stayed at the St. Regis many years ago for a wedding; it was the first time I had been to a hotel pool where people could rent their own cabanas.  Interesting crowd. 

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 05:29:32 PM »
you could bump into a drunk Heather Locklear at the bar, in which case any money would be well spent.

Jon:
Any personal experiences you'd care to share with us?

Heather and that Sambora kook had a place in Laguna.....no personal experience bumping into either one of them :-\ . If you want to go celebrity hunting, one would do so at the Montage, Hotel Laguna, or St. Regis...in that order. The latter has a very mediocre/overpriced restaurant so is not very popular with the locals. Come to think of it you could say that for all three.

This would be the ideal place for the Cougar Cup I, which Lou Duran and I have been planning for some time now. Ed Getka was interested but he moved. It would be held at the worst course in OC with the highest chance of game hunting action afterwards. Monarch and Pelican Hill are in a dead heat.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »

Here are a couple shots of the oceanfront hole, the 3rd.  I couldn't agree with Jon more...just a horribly designed golf hole.  315 yards from the tips, par four where the only safe play is a 6 or 7-iron tee shot to the 150 marker unless you want to roll the dice with a long iron or 3-wood and snap it around the corner.

From Behind the Green:

Decent green site and a nice vista looking back toward the ocean and the bluffs but this is the best hole they could come up with for the sliver of land they wanted to use on the shoreline?  Supremely disappointing experience, especially at the inflated price they charge.

I agree with everyone about the hotel though.  One of the nicest I've ever stayed in and the beach area is quite good.

As Peter mentioned, the best thing going relative to the resort is the beach club, which you can see at the middle right of the photo.

Even better....... is the cliff diving that's available right around the point of land in the center left of the photo.

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

This would be the ideal place for the Cougar Cup I

As a technicality, you don't need to put the I after it until you have II ...

I don't believe the Cougars will be at the course, so we should be safe.

Where are the cougars most likely to be out on the prowl, Fashion Island, Shops at Mission Viejo, Coto de Caza?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »
Coto is a no-brainer. But the course is much better so we might foul up the required ratio of plastic surgery/shit golf.

Near Monarch, we're talking Salt Creek Grille*, Ichibiri, Brio, St. Regis, Montage, anywhere downtown Laguna. We could always head up to Javier's at the Irvine Spectrum.

*Allegedly owned by SCU graduate.....CAUTION: very nasty looking/foul mouthed cougars on property 8)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
Coto is a no-brainer. But the course is much better so we might foul up the required ratio of plastic surgery/shit golf.

Near Monarch, we're talking Salt Creek Grille*, Ichibiri, Brio, St. Regis, Montage, anywhere downtown Laguna. We could always head up to Javier's at the Irvine Spectrum.

*Allegedly owned by SCU graduate.....CAUTION: very nasty looking/foul mouthed cougars on property 8)

No "allegedly" about that, my friend.  The owner is one of my SCU '85 co-horts.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »
Only problem is, by definition cougars are older women looking for a much younger male "companion".  So if you're already in your mid 40's, not naming any names here...then I guess you'll be looking at some very "golden years" kind of cougs.     

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »
Only problem is, by definition cougars are older women looking for a much younger male "companion".  So if you're already in your mid 40's, not naming any names here...then I guess you'll be looking at some "golden years" kind of cougs. 

That's an exceedingly good point, my friend.  The type of woman that's a cougar for Benham is a very very scary thought.  It's not much better for me.  But Spaulding remains a young stud.

;D

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
Only problem is, by definition cougars are older women looking for a much younger male "companion".  So if you're already in your mid 40's, not naming any names here...then I guess you'll be looking at some "golden years" kind of cougs. 

That's an exceedingly good point, my friend.  The type of woman that's a cougar for Benham is a very very scary thought.  It's not much better for me.  But Spaulding remains a young stud.

;D

Points have been considered:

Huckaby's wrong on me; I think he meant to say "stub".

Isn't Benham a male cougar? He has that metro-sexual/Butch Hobson look to him.

I would think conversation about centerline hazards, ample playing surfaces, and the maintenance meld would be an aphrodisiac of sorts for the Cougar crowd.......well, worth a try at least as a theorem for Pieracci to test, scientifically of course.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »

Jon,
My wife and I have stayed at the Montage and the rooms are terrific.  The food... not so much.  We had a great meal at Maestro's Ocean Club (I think that's the name) up in Newport and if you're looking for cougar heaven it would have to be there I would think.  I've never seen more 40-somethings on the prowl than at that place.  Yikes. 

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »

Jon,
My wife and I have stayed at the Montage and the rooms are terrific.  The food... not so much.  We had a great meal at Maestro's Ocean Club (I think that's the name) up in Newport and if you're looking for cougar heaven it would have to be there I would think.  I've never seen more 40-somethings on the prowl than at that place.  Yikes. 

Peter, thanks for confirming that Maestro's is to cougars what TOC is to golf*. My sources have been touting it for some time. *Disclaimer - I have not been there yet :'(

This and Javier's would be tied in with Pelican Hill - dreams do come true.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »
The 3rd looks down hill with ocean in the background.... at 315 yards it appears to be a awesome looking  par 3  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back