News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Stephenson

Re: O.T.-Club Championship Format
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
We play 72 holes over the Labour Day weekend.

18 on Saturday and Sunday; cut to 16 and ties, and then play 36 holes on Monday.

Other flights play 54 holes (cut after 36) over the same weekend.

john_stiles

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
We used to have a club championship over Labor Day.  There was a championship flight (no hdcp limit) and other flights sorted by hdcp.

It was stroke play, cut to low 8 after 3 rounds played Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning.   

Low 8 and ties play a fourth medal round on Monday afternoon.

There was no hdcp limit.  Low score for the 4 rounds was club champion. Sudden death playoff if required for club in championship.

Then we went through a couple of revisions over several years.  Bounced around a bit to play over multiple weekends. 

Today,  it is still stroke play for 4 rounds over Labor Day weekend, except the first round is played Friday afternoon,  then Saturday, Sunday, and finally Monday morning.  A small portion of the field is 'cut' after two,  and then three rounds.

Many (not all) of the contenders play in 'current' higher stake gamble on Friday afternoon game     So Friday afternoon play is no big deal to most.  Also, now there is a hdcp limit of 5 or 6 or 7.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:07:47 PM by john_stiles »

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
There's not a good golfer at my club that can't get one friday off a year.

Then again, there's not one good golfer at my club that doesn't play weekdays either.

Jed,
I know you are not trying to be elitist here, but the issue isn't really the ability to take "one Friday off a year."  I can do so if it is an emergency, but the nature of my job is such that someone has to do my work; I can't do it from home, or catch up on Monday, or make phone calls in the car or from the course.

The issue is whether or not it is a fair and reasonable thing for people to be required to take a workday off in order to play in a tournament at a club where they are a dues paying member.  If you feel like it is o.k. for you to require the golfers at your club to do so, more power to you.

BTW, I not only play weekdays, I played on the very Friday in question!  I just can't play at 1:00; I have to wait until after work.  And for that 3 hour difference, I am S.O.L. for the opportunity to compete for the club championship.

I know of a Catholic priest with a handicap that hovers between 1 to 4 and once had a clergy membership at a private club with a club championship that was also Friday through Sunday.  But obviously for him the problem was the Sunday final.  Similar to what you describe, he does take a few Sunday's off during the year for vacations and travel, but it would not be right for him to try to find another priest willing to do the Sunday masses an additional weekend just so he could play golf.

But that is just the reality of his situation, and it also shows that no matter what method one chooses, there will be some people not able to participate during that time.  Even if the club championship is played all at match play, and each round can be played anytime within a certain time period, (at a time chosen between those two opponents) problems can ensue.  First this will require stretching the championship over a time frame of many weeks (this may work against some members who spend large stretches of the summer at 2nd homes), also problems can develop when 2 opponents can not agree on a suitable date within the required time period.

So unfortunately for the few who will be unable to play because of unique circumstances, a club will likely need to schedule their championship for the convenience of the most, not the convenience of all.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Doug Wright

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »
Our Club Championship is a 3 day match play, Friday afternoon and Saturday/Sunday mornings. If you want to play in the 16 person Championship flight, there is 18 hole qualifying available during the preceding two Saturdays. Nonqualifiers for the Championship flight and others are flighted by handicap for match play (8 people per flight). If you lose in match play on Friday, you play in a 4 person consolation bracket on Saturday. Because there are a lot of other season-long and 1 day competitions at my club and because the Club Championship is usually held the second weekend in August, I think participation is lower than it should be. I don't think the Friday afternoon requirement is that much of an issue, however.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt Bosela

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »
We play a 54-hole Medal Play event, with a cutdown to the top 12 and ties in each flight after 36 holes.  It's played over the Canadian Civic Holiday weekend (first weekend in August) with the final round being played on the holiday Monday.

We lose a few members who spend the weekend at the cottage but for the majority of members, this weekend works out best.

The Championship flight is limited to those 18 and over unless the under-ager has already won the junior club championship in a previous year.  This was a new rule we implemented this year.

I'd love for the actual club championship to be played as a match play event but we already have separate match play championships that are played throughout the year based on flight so I can't complain too much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back