News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Local Rules
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:34:29 AM »
Rich Hetzel's thread on OB at Birdsfoot has me thinking that it might be an interesting discussion to talk about unusually interesting and/or inadvertedly humorous "Local Rules" that folks have encountered over the years.

Anyone care to tee this one up?

Phil McDade

Re: Local Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
The cow chip rule at Dunaverty, just south of Machrihansih. I actually used it once...grazing rights and all that.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I have said this before, but when I played Westward Ho! in 1981 there was a local rule to the effect of:

"Horse and Cow dung and unscattered sheep dung may be considered unnatural ground conditions and your ball lifted, cleaned and dropped without penalty, but if your ball lies in or near rabbit dung or scattered sheep dung it must be played as it lies."

You'd need a degree in Eschatology to play that course......

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:58:57 AM »
I remember playing Yelverton in 1988.  They had a rule that gave relief from urine burns on the putting green.  Seems the horses that roamed the course were not up on etiquette.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
I have said this before, but when I played Westward Ho! in 1981 there was a local rule to the effect of:

"Horse and Cow dung and unscattered sheep dung may be considered unnatural ground conditions and your ball lifted, cleaned and dropped without penalty, but if your ball lies in or near rabbit dung or scattered sheep dung it must be played as it lies."

You'd need a degree in Eschatology to play that course......

Lets see..

The cow dung is the huge patties, don't touch if wet.  The rabbit droppings are these little balls.....oh forget it...just does as the inventors did, "play it where she lies"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »
There's two here in Ogallala that illustrate just how badly all the Associations have dropped the ball on spreading what GOLF is all about.

The first is the two balls off the first tee rule. (Hitting three in anyone's book)

The second is upon a lost ball in the gunk dropping into the fairway with only one stroke penalty at a place that is always nowhere near where the lost ball would likely be. (as if that matters)

The most ridiculous I've seen and heard about is the drawing of the red line on areas that have never carried a drop of water. While the justification is to speed play, the result should be how quickly one should accept a wager from anyone carrying a handicap from said courses. 

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
Adam:

Those are all pretty bad misapplications of the rules, for sure.

But what do you mean by citing these as examples of how badly "the Associations" have dropped the ball?

The local golf associations cannot control what each course decides to do; what local rules it puts in place, what markings it uses, etc.  And how much spreading of the word about the rules do you really expect them to do?  They publish such... and at least here in NorCal, have websites about such... do articles about such in the newsletters....

If courses want to ignore the rules, what can the Associations do about it?

One thing we do here is we do course ratings via the rules of golf, regardless how a course treats such rules.  We then tell them this and admonish them that they are cheating their members and in the end giving them artificially low handicaps.. if they choose to blow us off, what can we do?

In the end you're correct - bet heavily against regulars at such courses.

Just don't blame the Associations for it - blame course management!

TH

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »
The second is upon a lost ball in the gunk dropping into the fairway with only one stroke penalty at a place that is always nowhere near where the lost ball would likely be. (as if that matters)

There's a course here in KS, that has a new nine carved out of a forested tract, and after it had been open a short time they ran red stakes down both sides of most of the holes.

It's clearly not what the rules envision, but without it a poor driver (like me) might never finish a round. It's very narrow from tree line to tree line, so any significant miss is a retee.

On a couple of holes, the second shot is as challenging as the tee shot.

On a bad day, I could lose 15 golf balls in nine holes.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
Huck, I'm sorry but the truth is the USGA, The PGAs and the gcsaa all share in being responsible for the woes that ail most of golf's finer points here in the USA.

I'm not a constant USGA basher but...if their motto is to be taken seriously, their culpability is at the core of matters getting out of hand. Germany has it better.

Architecturally, I sense it started from the day CB was no longer listened to, and, the American bigger and better way prevailed.

Sure people and places are free to as they choose. Since hindsight is 20/20 can you give any of the associations a passing grade for creating anything other than an industry reliant on bottom lines?

Golf has become a Me me me sport. What a pity!!!

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:35 AM »
Adam.  Fine - gotcha.  I can live with those associations being culpable for what you say.

I thought you meant the local governing associations, you know, like the NCGA.  Having lived through this now for 6 years, I have to tell you, there's little or nothing we can do about how clubs mark their courses and what rules they enforce.

You ask LARGER questions... well done.

TH

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:44:14 AM »
I started a thread on this exact topic within the last month.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36325.0.html

Pat Burke

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 04:07:26 PM »
I think Willie Nelson's local rule on his golf course was pretty good
Par is whatever I say it is.  Yesterday par on (?) hole was 7 and I birdied that sucker

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 04:45:45 PM »
Par is whatever I say it is.  Yesterday par on (?) hole was 7 and I birdied that sucker

I've heard that the par on #1 was 19 and yesterday he birdied that sucker.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »
I started a thread on this exact topic within the last month.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36325.0.html

Sean,

Sorry about that...guess I either didn't see it or pulled a George Harrison subliminal "My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine" moment.   :-[

Either that, or great minds...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:09:53 PM by MikeCirba »

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »
Huck, I'm sorry but the truth is the USGA, The PGAs and the gcsaa all share in being responsible for the woes that ail most of golf's finer points here in the USA.

I'm not a constant USGA basher but...if their motto is to be taken seriously, their culpability is at the core of matters getting out of hand. Germany has it better.

Architecturally, I sense it started from the day CB was no longer listened to, and, the American bigger and better way prevailed.

Sure people and places are free to as they choose. Since hindsight is 20/20 can you give any of the associations a passing grade for creating anything other than an industry reliant on bottom lines?

Golf has become a Me me me sport. What a pity!!!

Adam-- A question--

As I understand the situation, in a great number of countries in Europe, before you can set foot on a golf course you must pass a test and get a license (akin to a drivers license), which requires you to attend classes get passing grades on a test BOTH in playing ability AND knowledge of the Rules of Golf.

Would you advocate such a practice here?

Pat Burke

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 11:58:58 PM »

Maybe I remembered incorrectly, but I do love that story :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

Maybe I remembered incorrectly, but I do love that story :)

Willie is a great American.  I saw a photo of him recently with the caption below, "I have outlived my dick!"  ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
No matter what the story, here's one about Willie that stands the test of time:  he smoked every hole at Pedernales.

Free drop from casual hemp...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
If a ball lodges in one of the baskets at Merion East, the rule is to place the ball on the lip of the cup and putt out.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »
Love it!  We need more shepherd's baskets.  This rule drives me nuts:  internal OB.  Shouldn't exist, ever.  It's not strange, simply stupid.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JESII

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
Adam,

I can tell you from first hand playing experience in dozens of different golf associations...the Golf Association of Philadelphia has it right.

I am not sure what exact issues you have with the other associations, but your question..."Since hindsight is 20/20 can you give any of the associations a passing grade for creating anything other than an industry reliant on bottom lines?" is answered in the quality of its events and the sucess of the JWood Platt caddy scholarship fund.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
When playing the The Fort in Indianapolis, IN it is an Aububon Sanctuary so any errant shot into the tall grasses, if you can find it, is a FREE drop. Man, talk about a stroke saver!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
Dennis,
 I realize the impossibility of putting the genie back into the bottle. I doubt a test system could ever be employed here, now. But, in hindsight it would've been a very effective method in removing most of the ills  (ridiculous behavior and misplaced attitudes) found everywhere but a few select places where golf is respected. I.e. Sully's example and other top notch associations and clubs who set good examples. But, who is responsible for enlightening the masses?

Bruce Leland

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »
No matter what the story, here's one about Willie that stands the test of time:  he smoked every hole at Pedernales.

Free drop from casual hemp...
I have a good friend who is rumored to have played many a round on Wilie's course with Willie, Darryl Royal and a former NFL running back......the stories are legendary.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

JohnV

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »
Dennis,
 I realize the impossibility of putting the genie back into the bottle. I doubt a test system could ever be employed here, now. But, in hindsight it would've been a very effective method in removing most of the ills  (ridiculous behavior and misplaced attitudes) found everywhere but a few select places where golf is respected. I.e. Sully's example and other top notch associations and clubs who set good examples. But, who is responsible for enlightening the masses?

One of the things the First Tee and other junior programs attempt to do is educate the kids on the Rules of Golf.  In order to be certified under the NCGA Foundation's Youth on Course program, the kid must complete the curriculum through a certified program or online.  Certification gets the kid cheap green fees ( $2 average) and range balls so it is worth their while to learn a bit about the game and life skills.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back