News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Re: Did Tillinghast ever design a mediocre or poor golf course ?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »
Ahhh.... I don't think anyone would guess it anyway, so...

SAND GREENS! This is the only course known that he ever designed with sand greens...

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 06:59:18 AM »
I'm not sure Tilly ever designed a mediocre or poor course or not. Perhaps some of his early designs may have come the closest but only in comparison to his later designs. Relative to courses of their time I doubt any of his early courses were considered either mediocre or poor. Shawnee looks to be the oddest of his courses I've seen pictures of, although it also looks pretty interesting too. I really like Tilly's early style (courses like Somerset Hills and Quaker Ridge) - I like the mounding, the green complexes, an occasional famous knock off, like the Redan and his Sahara holes.

Phil
Didn't Tilly redesign Shawnee? A few times I'm thinking.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 07:26:39 AM »
Tom,

Yes, Tilly did a bunch of tinkering with the course including a few major single hole changes... Unfortunately over time, others did as well and when it was changed to a 27-hole complex most of his work was either destroyed or greatly effected...

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »
Phil,

I try not to look at a course like Tillinghast's Aronimink from today but rather in context with courses of that era and his other courses.  Aronimink was early Tillinghast.  I am simply stating that his earlier works were not outstanding from the start.  He went through a learning curve and the quality of his work can be viewed as being on a similar curve.  It isn't right to look back with today's courses in mind, except as it regards designing in elasticity.  Otherwise, I agree, it is best to consider courses as they relate to their own era and within context of the architect's work.  Considering that Myopia, NGLA, Pine Valley and Merion were all in various stages of development, the work at Aronimink was not very good and seemingly not very strategic.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:57:14 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:11 AM »
The Valley CC outside of Hazelton. PA is rather mediocre.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »
Et., al.,

For those commenting about the quality of AWT courses, is that based on actually playing the golf course or from third parties ?

And, do we know for a fact whether some of these courses are actually AWT's ?

Philip Young, can you clarify the latter for us ?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 09:32:07 AM »
Steve,

I hadn't heard that Irem Temple is open to the public these days.   Their website gives no indication.

David Eger,

I doubt anyone would have said that the original Brook Hollow was mediocre.   It was almost a midwestern version of Pine Valley with vast sandy stretches and a scarcity of trees.   Sadly, as you note, that is no longer the case.

Rob Waldron,

Nice to see we're back to disagreeing.  ;)   I was beginning to worry after our mutual admiration of Jack Frost.  ;D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
Pat,

Whether as a complete 18-hole original design, a nine-hole original design, a nine-hole renovation and new original nine-hole extension or a simple redesign, Tilly worked at every course mentioned so far.

Were there any in particular you wanted to know more about?

Sam Maryland

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 02:16:58 PM »
Pat,

Whether as a complete 18-hole original design, a nine-hole original design, a nine-hole renovation and new original nine-hole extension or a simple redesign, Tilly worked at every course mentioned so far.

Were there any in particular you wanted to know more about?

including Myers Park Country Club on Roswell Avenue in Charlotte, NC?

I'd love to hear more about that...

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
Sam,

In a 1925 advertising brochure that Tilly himself published, he mentions both Myers Park & Rock Hill as nine-hole courses he designed and built...

Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »
I've renamed the "Subject

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back