News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: golf vs. life
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »

Life is about living the challenge

While

Golf is about the happiness of the challenge

Either way

The trick is to maintain the challenge

Melvyn

Mike Hendren

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
I'd replace Bogey's "good" with Decent.

+1
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
Anyone of you who have ever met me can affirm that I enjoy the hell out of both.  Winning.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
Barney.  That's 3 reasons to want to tee it up with u. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Philippe Binette

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
Maybe a portrait of our society... a lot of negative perception of life

but life is fun... as far as I know for now, we have only one life and it can be over in 5 minutes at any time... so you MUST have fun in life

golf is fun too... it can get you mad, run you down but the glory of a perfect can be there on your next shot.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »
There is a growing school of thought--with which I am coming to agree--that the reason golf is not fun is that we play the wrong tees.  When it is calculated, the Tour pros are at least 1300 yards longer for a whole round than the average amateur.  Therefore, when we play at 6800 yards that equates to 8000+ for the pros--and they probably wouldn't have much fun at that distance either.  One of the  joys of golf is having a reasonable birdie putt, and I would argue that at the yardage that most of us play, we have too few birdie puts in a round.
Of course, there's more to golf than just that--camaraderie, the joy of nature, some exercise, etc.  But getting the right yardage for play can enhance all that.  I think the dumbest comment that anyone can make about golf is to head to the back tees, "so we can play all the course." 

Dunno about everyone else, but length is not the reason I have too few birdie putts.  I could play from the ladies tees and still have fewer good birdie opportunities per round than your average pro ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:53 AM »
There is a growing school of thought--with which I am coming to agree--that the reason golf is not fun is that we play the wrong tees.  When it is calculated, the Tour pros are at least 1300 yards longer for a whole round than the average amateur.  Therefore, when we play at 6800 yards that equates to 8000+ for the pros--and they probably wouldn't have much fun at that distance either.  One of the  joys of golf is having a reasonable birdie putt, and I would argue that at the yardage that most of us play, we have too few birdie puts in a round.
Of course, there's more to golf than just that--camaraderie, the joy of nature, some exercise, etc.  But getting the right yardage for play can enhance all that.  I think the dumbest comment that anyone can make about golf is to head to the back tees, "so we can play all the course." 

Dunno about everyone else, but length is not the reason I have too few birdie putts.  I could play from the ladies tees and still have fewer good birdie opportunities per round than your average pro ;)

Me too Doug! Still no birdie putts from the ladies tees!

A golfing friend of mine passed away in Florida last week, very sad. Its over just in a blink of an eye, so you better enjoy some of it

Steve Okula

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
I enjoy life so much more when I'm not playing golf.

Who was it who said that sex and golf are the two things in life you could enjoy without being any good at them?

He was only half right.

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back