News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Oahu suggestions
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
Just wanted to get some suggestions for public golf options on Oahu. Makaha and Luana Hills seem okay. Any others?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Leahy

Re: Oahu suggestions New
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
Ko olau is very tough and very good. If you have any military contacts there are some very good courses like Hickam and Kanaohe among others.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:40:22 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff Evagues

Re: Oahu suggestions
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:18:39 PM »
Ewa Beach and Royal Kunia.
Be the ball

G Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
one warning, just in case something possesses you to go to kaua'i to play Princeville... don't! That it is in the top 100 of anything is crazy. I've never played somewhere so disappointing on such a great piece of land.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »
one warning, just in case something possesses you to go to kaua'i to play Princeville... don't! That it is in the top 100 of anything is crazy. I've never played somewhere so disappointing on such a great piece of land.

Well, there was talk of heading over to Kaua'i and I did consider trying to play there. What was it you didn't like?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
You may try Mid Pacific CC...worth a looksy.

Ko'olau might also be worth it, if you can get a discounted tee time from www.stand-bygolf.com ...it is interesting but very tight most of the way around.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

DBE

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:35:37 PM »
Try the Palmer Course at Turtle Bay.  If the wind is less than 20 mph, it's very good...and I'm not a fan of that design firm's work!  Besides, you'll drive right past some of the best surfing spots in the world.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
Turtle Bay - Palmer is probably the best of the bunch. Two very different nines and worth the drive around the island. As David says, check out the surfing near the course. Those guys are crazy!!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »
Turtle Bay is very enjoyable....and I got married there. No gay jokes please.

There are a few strong holes on the course. It's an interesting setting.

There won't be much surf on the North Shore for a couple more months. They did film a crappy show @ Turtle Bay which was on Fox a few years ago, and I saw Ari Gold there once.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
You may try Mid Pacific CC...worth a looksy.

Ko'olau might also be worth it, if you can get a discounted tee time from www.stand-bygolf.com ...it is interesting but very tight most of the way around.

Makes me sweat just thinking about it. I played it last fall and enjoyed the punishment: 10 lost balls from the resort tees.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/2010129363/in/set-72157602870025237/

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
Can someone describe whether Kahuku, the little funky 9 hole course is worth a visit.  From Google it appears to have some Scotish looking dunes.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
Can someone describe whether Kahuku, the little funky 9 hole course is worth a visit.  From Google it appears to have some Scotish looking dunes.

Good question, Lynn. I've been wodering about it myself.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »

Well, there was talk of heading over to Kaua'i and I did consider trying to play there. What was it you didn't like?

I stayed at Princeville for my honeymoon and played the Prince Course along with Poipu Bay while on the island.  Beautiful island, great scenery and even better people - fantastic place to take a low-key vacation.

Regarding The Prince Course, like G Jones, I find it hard to believe that this is a top 100 in the world type of course.  It's extremely penal, for one, especially off the tee.  For the money you pay out there, conditioning is very subpar as well.  I was also extremely disappointed in the fact that the routing rarely takes you toward the ocean...what a waste!

If you are heading to Kauai for a few days to do some other things (helicopter rides, hike, etc) it's probably worthwhile to try to get a game in at the Prince.  However, the course likely isn't good enough to warrant a trip by itself, in my opinion.

All that being said, I still enjoyed my round there but I *love* a challenge and that is something that the Prince offers in spades.  If you stay at the resort, you get a break on the green fee.  I will say that there are a number of pretty good golf holes out there, especially on the back nine.  I have plenty of photos of the course and the Princeville resort...let me know if you'd like a link to my photo tour/course writeup that I did for my blog.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:10:44 PM by Matt Bosela »

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »

let me know if you'd like a link to my photo tour/course writeup that I did for my blog.

Matt, thanks. I'd like to see it.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 12:44:50 PM »

let me know if you'd like a link to my photo tour/course writeup that I did for my blog.

Matt, thanks. I'd like to see it.

David,

PM sent, with link.

Cheers!

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 01:42:56 PM »
I agree with the above posters on Princeville 100 percent. Of all the courses on all the lists, Princeville is the one that makes least sense to me.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »
WRT Kahuku, it never ceases to amaze me which courses pop up here from time to time...

Kahuku is not worth any modicum of extra effort to play; think the interior back nine holes at Sharp Park with different vegetation and inferior conditioning...

It is, however, in one of the most phenomenal settings for a golf course one could imagine, and wind is definitely a factor...

I can't see leaving Honolulu to go there to play, but if one happened to be on that side of the island for something else (the cultural center, surfing, whatever) then it is a very pleasant location...

A far more rewarding expense of energy is to ride horses on the beach right there in Kahuku (Kahuku Kai Horses, e.g.)--now that's truly a breathtaking experience on the North Shore...

G Jones

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »

I stayed at Princeville for my honeymoon and played the Prince Course along with Poipu Bay while on the island.  Beautiful island, great scenery and even better people - fantastic place to take a low-key vacation.

Regarding The Prince Course, like G Jones, I find it hard to believe that this is a top 100 in the world type of course.  It's extremely penal, for one, especially off the tee.  For the money you pay out there, conditioning is very subpar as well.  I was also extremely disappointed in the fact that the routing rarely takes you toward the ocean...what a waste!

If you are heading to Kauai for a few days to do some other things (helicopter rides, hike, etc) it's probably worthwhile to try to get a game in at the Prince.  However, the course likely isn't good enough to warrant a trip by itself, in my opinion.

All that being said, I still enjoyed my round there but I *love* a challenge and that is something that the Prince offers in spades.  If you stay at the resort, you get a break on the green fee.  I will say that there are a number of pretty good golf holes out there, especially on the back nine.  I have plenty of photos of the course and the Princeville resort...let me know if you'd like a link to my photo tour/course writeup that I did for my blog.

The thing about Princeville is that the last 7 or so holes are actually great (though a little extreme maybe), as is the par 3 nearest the sea on the front 9 and the hole directly before it. The bad thing is that the other holes are just about the worse sub-par resort course type holes through a sea of houses that I have ever seen. And also I agree with the above comment that the course conditioning is bad. I was there in early June, which I assume must be one of the best times to be there, and it was still terrible. Add to that the fact that so many of those terrible holes seem to have bunkers in pointless places, and you get the feeling that the whole point of the course is to host the drunken old men in hawai'ian shirts, driving carts, and shooting in the low 120's.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back