News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve_ Shaffer

Florida Historic Golf Trail
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
It began several years ago, as a challenge within the Division of Historical Resources at Florida’s Department of State, to find creative ways to promote preservation and history.

“Me being a golfer, I try to incorporate that into anything I do work-related,” Scott Edwards said. “So I proposed the idea and it got accepted.”

The idea has come to fruition with the launch of the Florida Historic Golf Trail, 50 publicly accessible courses built before 1946 and stretching from Pensacola on the Florida panhandle (A.C. Read Golf Course and Osceola Municipal Golf Course) to Key West at the southern tip of the state (Key West Golf Club).

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/10/florida-historic-golf-trail-fe.html

http://floridahistoricgolftrail.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rees Milikin

Re: Florida Historic Golf Trail
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
This is what the state decided to do instead of the absurd Jack Nicklaus trail.

I love the idea and have tried to play the lesser know courses while traveling for work.  There have been some surprises along the way, especially the original 9 hole course in Belle Glade.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:17:08 PM »
That's really funny, I live in Pensacola and that's the first I've heard of the "Historic Florida Golf Trail."

Osceola is our city-owned muni that was designed (allegedly) by Wild Bill Melhorn in the 1920’s.  A. C. Read is a nice 27 hole layout on NAS Pensacola, renovated by Jerry Pate in the 2000’s. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:33:41 AM »
I'm actually at 12 out of the 50 from trips planned around the PGA show and quite escapes while working in Miami (two of which have already been gentrified for the worst)
Never seen another pro at any of the courses.
Hopefully it doesn't catch on ;) as I rather enjoy keeping these gems simple, inexpensive and uncrowded
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Connor

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
According to one course's website on the 'historic' trial, it was designed by Rees Jones:

http://keywestgolf.com

But I love the idea.  Maybe if you play all 50, you should get a round of access Mountain Lake (just kidding).
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »
I too enjoy playing these types of courses, especially the Ross ones. When I am down in Florida in December I plan on hitting up quite  a few of them.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back