News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Confidential Guide Tens
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »
There's no such thing as a "bullet proof" golf course; no course has everything.

Paul, I would have said Royal Melbourne Composite wore an architecturally bulletproof vest; however, this talk of housing eliminates not only the Composite but the West as well.  (The East isn't a 10 but even so one assumes it would be knocked down further given recent changes to several holes due to concerns about nearby housing.)

The Composite is riddled with all sorts of these flaws, not only houses but:

Streets...

...cell towers...

...power lines...

...and smokestacky-looking things!

Mark

G Jones

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
St. Andrews Old Course
Muirfield
Royal Dornoch
Ballybunion (Old)
Royal Melbourne (West)
National Golf Links of America
Shinnecock Hills
Pine Valley
Merion (East)
Pinehurst (No. 2)
Crystal Downs
Cypress Point

I've played 8 of them:  TOC, Muirfield, Dornoch, NGLA, Shinnecock Hills, Pine Valley, Merion and Pinehurst #2.  Of those courses, Pinehurst #2 is not a 10 in my book (if I were to write such a book).  Of the remaining 4 courses, I would prioritize seeing them as follows:

1.  Ballybunion
2.  Cypress Point
3.  Crystal Downs
4.  Royal Melbourne West (distance being a factor I do not ignore)

Ah! As of next week I will hopefully have played exactly the same ones as you Wayne...
but my order for future viewing would be:
1.  Cypress Point
2.  Crystal Downs
3.  Royal Melbourne West
4.  Ballybunion (last, probably because it is easiest to get to)

PS. ceramic cargo arrived in Atlanta successfully I'm told. thanks again!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2008, 02:00:48 AM »
The first six holes at Ballybunion are views of a graveyard, holiday homes, chain link fence with barbed wire pointing inward so you can't escape, and a large mobile home park. It's a ten in my book.

Ballybunion has the distinct advantage of getting its weaker less scenic holes out of the way from the start, so that you finish with the best series of 12 straight holes that exists anywhere, by which time the feelings of imprisonment you may have suffered on the 4th and 5th are a distant memory ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2008, 07:35:06 AM »
John,

When looking at eBay last night I was thinking the same thing. How can "Mrs. Freckles" have a CD. Unbelievable

It will be interesting to see how this auction turns out.  I can't see rare books doing very well in this climate.  As a matter of fact another guide popped on the scene just this morning.  I wish mrs freckles all the luck in the world during these tough times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180293933926&Category=71104&_trksid=p3907.m29

Matt_Ward

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
Be curious -- but I see Pebble and Ballybunion / Old similar in that each has its own array of weak holes. In Ballybunion's case the first third really don't provide much theater -- the uphill 2nd is quite fun but the back-to-back par-5's are really lame. I do like the challenge of the short 6th with its neatly angled green.

Pebble has a similar situation although in that case such holes are spread between the vistas of the ocean holes.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »
  It would be hard for me to give any course a 10 which borders a neighborhood. That would eliminate Pinehurst. I prefer golf only. No houses no swimming pool.

HARD not Impossible.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
I haven't re-reviewed all four pages of comments, but after seeing pictures of the remarkable restorative work at the Valley Club of Montecito, I wonder if Tom or others might give it some thought as a potential 10?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back