News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Golf in England/Wales
« on: September 22, 2008, 10:02:38 PM »
I am planning a trip for next summer to England (mostly London area) and Wales.  My itinerary as of now is:

Saturday: Royal Porthcawl
Sunday: Celtic Manor 2010 Course
Monday: Sunningdale Old and New
Tuesday: Royal St. George's and Deal
Wednesday: Walton Heath Old
Thursday: Wentworth East and West
Friday:

I am looking for suggestions for Friday.  I have looked at Rye, Woking, St. George's Hill and Berkshire.  I have had no luck with getting on Swinley Forest or Queenwood yet.  What are the best of these courses or does anyone have any other suggestions? 

I am also looking for suggestions where to stay Monday-Friday.  I plan to drive to RSG and Deal just for the day on Tuesday.  I was thinking about staying in Woking since it looked pretty centrally located and had some reasonable rates.  Is it a good place to stay or does anyone have any other ideas? 

Thanks.

David_Tepper

Re: Golf in England/Wales
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:07:43 PM »
Check out the recent thread here (with many pics) on the New Zealand course in Surrey. A very nice course that does not get a whole lot of visitor play.

Gerry B

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:50:21 AM »
a very good list - except perhaps celtic manor - played it a few years ago prior to the allegedly recent work there and thought it was mediocre at best. one round at wentworth might be plenty as well

if you look at the courses by country section you will find some possible candidates that i have not played but look intriguing - i am sure many on GCA could render an opinion on:

addington
royal cinque ports(deal) which is near royal st georges
royal ashdown forest

walton heath new  - while not as good as the old does have some very good holes - you can always get in an emergency 9 when you are there

Ed Tilley

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:54:55 AM »
You'll find very little love on here for Celtic Manor. If being able to watch the Ryder Cup in 2 years and say - 'I played there' - is important to you (as it would be to many), then you should play it. Otherwise, you need to look at Southerndown or Pyle & Kenfig which are close to Porthcawl, or Pennard which is slightly further afield. There are plenty of pictures on here if you use the search engine above.

I would also consider playing the New course at Walton Heath as well as the Old, say on the Friday. This would enable you to have a day at RSG and a day at Deal - recommended.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 04:18:29 AM »
Do see if you can get onto Southerndown or Pennard in preference to Celtic Manor, although as it is a Sunday there may be a competition limiting visitor access. I'd even suggest that Kington or Painswick would be more fun. I agree with the suggestion that you play Walton Heath New as well. New Zealand is a good thought, but don't forget The Addington. Royal Ashdown Forest is also worth trying for. Have a great time.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:12:41 AM »
For a Friday 36 holes, I'd choose Woking for the morning and St Georges Hill for the afternoon... Close proximity to each other as well....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
IMO it is not worth travelling to the Kent coast to play Sandwich and Deal on the same day. Both are worthy of 2 rounds and you will benefit immensely from a second lap. If you can fit in a day at each your efforts will be repaid.   

I would ditch Wentworth unless you really want to tick off a course, it is a fine venue but priced for the corporate market and a day will cost upwards of $700. Visit New Zealand, Woking or Worplesdon and spend the $500 saved on a great meal or accomodation.

I cannot comment on Celtic Manor but guess it's overpriced and designed for tournament play.

Swinley may allow access with a suitable letter you have no chance at Queenwood unless accompanied with a member.

Please IM me for details on a good hotel near Woking, possibility of introduced play at Deal.
Cave Nil Vino

Deucie Bies

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:49:33 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of your advice.  I will look into reworking my trip a bit.  If anyone else has any suggestions, please keep them coming.  I love information overload!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
Deucie

How much Links golf have you played ?

I'd ditch Celtic Manor in favour of P&K which is next door to Porthcawl or even a short drive to Pennard (which many here like) ?

Why dont you try to play both at The Berkshire on the Friday ?

Paul Nash

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:42:20 AM »
I was just going to say almost the same as many other people:

Celtic Manor - just returned as we have a match every year - haven't yet played 2010 (will be next year) but the other 2 courses are not brilliant and 2010 doesn't look too appealing (albeit better than the other two), especially at £150 a round! I would suggest Southerndown - cracking course at about £40. I had a look at P&K but haven't played it - half of the course did not look that great but the half in the dunes looked superb. If you want a modern design, I was impressed by Machynys Penninsula - a great back 9 on the estuary. Pennard is one of the most spectacular settings I have seen for a golf course and I would love to play again, although it is very natural, perhaps too so in places!

I would ditch Wentworth in favour of the Berkshire or Hankley Common - both great experiences are much better than Wentworth at circa £100 for the day

Other recomendations in the area - I wouldn't pay summer prices for St George's Hill - nice course but no better, possible not as good as West Hill and Worplesdon - not yet played Woking but suspect the same. Would also prefer New Zealand. I have still booked another day at St George's Hill for 16 April next year, but at £81 for 36 holes, bacon & coffee, soup and sandwich - wouldn't pay much more but it is a very nice experience and you are well looked after.

If you want a bit of parkland with a heathland feel, try Bearwood Lakes - my course and I love it, especially in the summer.

Other cheaper options: Hindhead, Noth Hants, Liphook, Blackmoor

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back