News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Leland

Re: Golf Injury Sidelines Hockey Player.....
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
Is there any group of athletes in the world that are better golfers than hockey players?

It certainly helps... I started playing hockey at 35, quit at 45, started golf at 46 and got down to 4  in just 2 years.  Hitting down on the ball comes naturally after learning to get a snap shot to score top shelf.  I started hockey again last year, but the aches and pains are killing my golf game. Hockey does not however help make you a good putter.  I still suck at that.
Art, there's always the Happy Gilmore putter!  Last one I saw at auction was over $700.00 though....makes a Scotty Cameron look cheap!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 04:00:49 AM »
Pat-I take some comfort that it's been even longer since the hawks won a Cup. The rivalry between the Blues and the Blackhawks was fierce in the 70s and 80s. Not so much any more. A pity. They both play in rather sterile modern arenas today as opposed to the unique Chicago Stadium and the barnlike St. Louis Arena. Both NLE.

Tom

That seems to be the way of the world these days- corporate comfort.  The thing is, the Joe isn't great for the punters or the suits! There is talk of a new arena, but I don't know where the money would come from.  I still miss Olympia.  It was an awful arena, but had great atmosphere.  It was a proper barn!

Detroit used to have a great rivalry with Chicago and Toronto.  Hopefully the Chicago rivalry will kick into gear this year because I think they have a very good team - on paper. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Walsh

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
Sean- The Detroit-St. Louis rivalry has had its moments. Unfortunately the Red Wings triumph 9 out of 10 times it seems.

I remember the Olympia if only on TV. I think they had the old school clock with hands instead of digital. So did the Chicago Stadium for a while and so did the Arena in the beginning. Very retro.

Yeah corporate rules unfortunately. It is really expensive to go to Scott Trade Center. Average price about 80-90 bucks per. Detroit and Chicago are even more pricey.

I love hockey. The roar of the crowd. The grace. The power. The speed. Certainly a different buzz than tour golf-which I also love.

Tom
"vado pro vexillum!"

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »
One of the best times I ever had at a wedding was hanging out with then-St. Louis Blues defenseman Chris Pronger.  He lived with friends of our family during his few years with the Whalers and then attended their son's wedding even after he was playing for the Blues.  Too bad he never got either of those teams a Cup......   

Pat Burke

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 04:06:07 AM »

Tom

That seems to be the way of the world these days- corporate comfort.  The thing is, the Joe isn't great for the punters or the suits! There is talk of a new arena, but I don't know where the money would come from.  I still miss Olympia.  It was an awful arena, but had great atmosphere.  It was a proper barn!

[b]Detroit used to have a great rivalry with Chicago and Toronto.  Hopefully the Chicago rivalry will kick into gear this year because I think they have a very good team - on paper.[/b] 

Ciao
[/quote]

Was searching for something else and came across this quote.    Nice job here   Detroit Chicago  conference final!!   Go young Hawks!

Sean Leary

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »
One of the best times I ever had at a wedding was hanging out with then-St. Louis Blues defenseman Chris Pronger.  He lived with friends of our family during his few years with the Whalers and then attended their son's wedding even after he was playing for the Blues.  Too bad he never got either of those teams a Cup......   

Carl,

I met him at one of their daughters wedding. Perhaps I met you as well.  :)

Small world.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back