News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Re: what course do you give a Doak 10 to that Tom didn't?
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »
Except for Pebble none of the others were deemed worthy of a US Open.
Tim, Are you suggesting that SFGC or CPC would want an Open? They are far superior to many Open venues. I have played 17 different courses that have held Opens.Having an Open doesn't guarantee greatness as was witnessed by Torrey hosting it. Jack

Tom_Doak

« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »
Jack:

Neither SFGC nor Cypress Point would make as good a venue for the US Open as Olympic does.  But I think both of them are much more fun and interesting for member play, so they rate higher on the Doak scale.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
And, of course, Oakmont has terrific short par 4s like #2 and #17. :)

George, don't forget #8. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »
I really really enjoy Olympic, but unlike many of the other courses discussed in this thread, it doesn't sniff 10.  It could arguably be a 9, but not a 10. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2008, 05:33:44 AM »
North Berwick was also in the Gourmet's Choice, though I only gave it an 8, because I know that it is too short and quirky for a lot of great players to take seriously.  It is on the short list of places I would choose for my last round of golf ... in part because I might still be able to post a good number there.

Tom

I've always wondered why you regard "length" as a criteria in which to separate golf courses ? Would not Royal Melbourne be a lesser of a course these days as such ?

FWIW - in my own ratings I give North Berwick a 9.5/10 and bracket it in a group of behind but a handfull of courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back