News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Did Fowler influence....
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:30:11 AM »
Did Fowler influence Braid? Braid was Professional at Fowler's Walton Heath for many years, during which time Braid laid out many courses and made alterations to others.

Thomas MacWood

Re: Did Fowler influence....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
You would think based on all the years they were together at Walton Heath that might be the case, but I have not found any mention of an influence. I don't recall Fowler mentioning Braid in writing on the subject or vice versa. I'm not sure what kind of relationship the two men had. Darwin made the point in Braid's biography that he was not involved in any tinkering of the course in all his years, which is kind of odd considering how prolific Braid was as a designer. They engaged HC Tippett to make changes after Fowler was gone.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
Mark:

Perhaps the story is apocryphal but it does say that Fowler was one architect who was particularly fixated that others not change his courses and architecture.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:05:26 PM »
Tom, That's true of Braid, too. He gave very strict instructions that no one was to tinker with Mere or Ringway - Mere was overseen by George Duncan, but Duncan doesn't seem to have had any of his own input. At Ringway (where Braid's son was a member) Braid made several visits to redesign the course as parcels of land came and went. There are accounts by those who witnessed his visits and he was very particular about exactly what should be done and that there should be no deviation from it. Mark.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
Mark a very interesting question.

Braid was known for his bunkering, often called in to add some to and existing course.  Fowler’s bunkers at Walton Heath were famous and the members called them coffins. I would struggle to see any stylistic similarities however.

Braid was known for dogleg holes. Not really a big feature at Walton Heath.

A couple of years ago I reported on here that there was a revision to Moreton’s book on Braid coming out. I believe the co author told me they’d discovered Braid’s first courses date back to the 1890’s, well before Fowler started.

Braid was a quick study and he left plans behind. Fowler rode the Heath literally for years before work commenced.

Also if you look at the set up of Walton Heath its quite clear that Braid had his own sphere of influence but that Fowler was in command. He was Managing Director and as Tom points out Braid was never officially allowed to influence the design. His workshop was in a separate building to the clubhouse, into which he could only enter if invited. The two came from the most distant strata’s of society. Braid was a servant of the club, albeit a handsomely rewarded one. Fowler was happy to be the Master.

I feel any influence must have been subconscious.

I can just imagine that there may have been a few clubs who approached both parties who then became rivals for the commission. It would have caused friction.

Mark is there a reason for your question?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:41 AM »
Tony, The only reason that the thought came into my head was simply that I'm working on anniversary books for two Braid courses. Mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back