News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Where do I play this Friday- East Scotland advice
« on: September 24, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
Chaps staying in Gullane Friday and Saturday night. Playing Gullane 1 on Sunday and Archerfield on Saturday. My HGEC friend is in the south east and North Berwick is full?

Where should we play on Friday, we have previously played Gullane 2 & 3 and the Glen??

Thanks for any advice.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Daryl David

Re: Where do I play this Friday- East Scotland advice
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
Gullane 2 or try for Luffness New.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:48 PM »
You might find this link handy...

http://www.eastofscotlandgolf.com/lothian_courses.php

What is Longniddry like?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »
You could always go 30 minutes south to Goswick.  Alternatively Kilspindie, whilst short, is a blast.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I like Longniddry - a good mix of links holes with some inland ones.

Alternatively how about Dunbar?

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »
Kilspindie or Dunbar or Old Musselburgh or blag your way onto the Renaissance Club

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
My HCEG friend recommends Kilspindie. Luffness New always seems to get good reports as does Dunbar. Has anyone here got onto Renaissance without intro??
Cave Nil Vino

Deucie Bies

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
When I was there, many people recommended Dunbar.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:54:46 PM »
My HCEG friend recommends Kilspindie. Luffness New always seems to get good reports as does Dunbar. Has anyone here got onto Renaissance without intro??

Mark
I don't recall anyone here reporting on having played Renaissance but if you do find out how to get on without an intro please let me know ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:59:16 PM »
Chaps staying in Gullane Friday and Saturday night. Playing Gullane 1 on Sunday and Archerfield on Saturday. My HGEC friend is in the south east and North Berwick is full?

Where should we play on Friday, we have previously played Gullane 2 & 3 and the Glen??

Thanks for any advice.

Chappers

If it were me I would try to get on Luffness because I haven't seen the place.  In practical terms, Luffness has been the hardest course in GB&I for me to get on.  They always seem to be full.

Dunbar is quite good.  

Kilspindie sounds interesting, but I haven't seen it.  I am told that I played it twice, but I have no memory of any kind of the experience - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

You could do worse than Gullane #3 followed or preceded bt 9 holes at Mussleburgh Old.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
Mark - I particularly enjoy Dunbar. You'll love it.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
Sean

The Guys at Luffness New are a great bunch. It’s an old club with certain standards, but a great place.

I can understand why they say they are full when you visit, expect they have read some of your posts, but keep trying it is worth it in the end. ;) ;) :D

Dunbar is also worth a visit, but if you have time Elie/Crail courses further north in Fife are real fun.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 06:38:42 PM »

Thanks for any advice.

Chappers

If it were me I would try to get on Luffness because I haven't seen the place.  In practical terms, Luffness has been the hardest course in GB&I for me to get on.  They always seem to be full.

Dunbar is quite good.  

Kilspindie sounds interesting, but I haven't seen it.  I am told that I played it twice, but I have no memory of any kind of the experience - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

You could do worse than Gullane #3 followed or preceded bt 9 holes at Mussleburgh Old.

Ciao  

Thanks for any advice.

Chappers

If it were me I would try to get on Luffness because I haven't seen the place.  In practical terms, Luffness has been the hardest course in GB&I for me to get on.  They always seem to be full.

Dunbar is quite good. 

Kilspindie sounds interesting, but I haven't seen it.  I am told that I played it twice, but I have no memory of any kind of the experience - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Ciao   

As Melvyn said, Luffness should be your first choice. A good test and a fine membership. The dining room is/was a delightful place for lunch.

I had the pleasure of dining with Laurie Auchterlonie when he visited the Lowarys during the '82 US Open in Pebble Beach. He opined that Kilspindie was his course of choice as they had the keenest greens in Scotland.

Bob

Daryl David

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
I had no problem getting a group onto Luffness.  It just required a talking live with the booking secretary as opposed to an email.  When playing there it helps to play fast.  Those are members are lightning fast and while friendly, you don't want to be holding them up.

The course is great.  A better pick then Dunbar or Longniddry.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »
Mark

If you like a little bit of history - a game at Musselburgh (Old) with hickories and modern equipment is an experience to enjoy ?

As for other courses in East Lothian - a choice from Luffness (New) and Dunbar would be my recommendation

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »
Chaps - thanks for the advice. Luffness New will not take bookings within 2 weeks so we've plumped for Kilspindie, it's father's 70th and brother hasn't played for a bit so a gentle'ish introduction to the weekend will suit nicely and it's on the way to our Gullane accomodation.

I'll let you know what we think of it.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 04:36:43 AM »
Mark,

good choice, you'll have a blast

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Mark,
you've picked a good'un there. Five and a half thousand yards of great fun golf course, lovely historic old clubhouse, a Fifer Golf Pro!, great filled rolls and soup, a wee slice of Scottish golf heaven.
Don't forget to take some time to peek over the wall and titter up the sleeve of your ZR at Craigielaw... ;)
best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
Isnt it the World Hickory Open at Craigielaw this week ?

Keith Phillips

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »
I played Renaissance last October with my son (a student at U of Edinburgh)...they were very welcoming and we were one of only a few groups out the day we played...the course is unlike any other in East Lothian and definitely a must-play in the area...Billy Peterson was a terrific host and a phone call to the office there may be all at takes, unless they happen to have a busy weekend!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
Lindsay's the Mann for Hickory
By COLIN FARQUHARSON

Carnoustie's Lindsay Mann, a Scotland amateur international and GB&I Walker Cup player of the early 1980s, won the World Hickory Open golf championship with a two-over-par round of 73 at Craigielaw Golf Club today (Friday).

The combination of being restricted to only six hickory-shafted clubs of pre-1935 vintage and a swirling wind meant that sub-par scores were simply not on.

"Even the pros cannot get nearly as much distance with a hickory club as they are used to. We cut the course down to 6,250yd but that didn't help them much with the wind getting up," said PGA Scottish Region tournament director Michael McDougall.

It's treated as a fun day but one that makes the players appreciate just how skilful the top players were in the days of hickory shafts - and old-fashioned golf balls. Perhaps a return to hickory shafts instead of ever-longer courses is the way forward.

Mann won the £1,700 top prize with a card that included three birdies - most players struggled to get one - at the long second, 14th and long 18th. He bogeyed the short eighth, 13th, 15th, 16th and 17th in halves of 35 and 38.

Defending champion and Walker Cup player of 2005 and 2007 before he turned pro, Lloyd Saltman, playing over his home course, was runner-up with a 74, two more than his winning score of 12 months ago, to earn a £1,369 cheque.

Lloyd could birdie only the long second and short eighth in halves of 36 and 38. Hhe bogeyed the third, fifth, sixth, 12th and 13th - and did well to finish with five straight pars.
Bishopbriggs' Robert Arnott managed only one birdie but matching the inward par of 36, helped him collect the third-place prize of £1,027 for a 75.

Lee Harper (Archerfield Links), Scottish boys match-play champion in 1999 when Musselburgh was his home club, had a 76 which included double bogey 7s at the second and the fourth in halves of 40 and 36. After his early misfortunes, Lee got the hickory hang of it before the turn and parred the last 11 holes.

Also on 76 was the third past Walker Cup player in the field, Andrew Oldcorn (Kings Links). He played in the same 1983 team captained by Charlie Green at Hoylake. Oldcorn's card included a triple bogey 6 at the short third as well as birdies at two long holes, the second and the 18th.

The only female player in the field, Gullane assistant professional Heather MacRae from Dunblane had an 89. Winner of the British women's open amateur stroke-play championship at Nairn in 2005 and the Welsh open stroke-play in 2007, Heather had four double bogeys - but no doubt enjoyed herself immensely as everybody in the field of 80 did.

One of the cluster of Swedes, pros and amateurs, who came over for event had a three-figure score but he is going home happy because he got his first and only par at the 18th.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 05:51:53 AM »
Chaps,

Many thanks for all the advice, we went for Kilspindie which turned out to be an inspired choice as not only did we play a short, fun links with great views and some challenges but we also has a grandstand view of play at the World Hickory Championships next door. With a 2 club wind blowing a 73 with 6 hickory clubs is a sound round of golf.

Whilst newish Craigielaw looked a decent course, has anyone played it?

Couple of otherthings for the memory bank; http://www.aaranluxuryapartments.co.uk luxury apartment in Gullane, sleeps up to 4, 10 minute walk into town, very high spec. They also have a larger apartment in N Berwick.

The Old Clubhouse in Gullane, great bar, decent beer, loads of atomsphere and very good food. I will never again drink in the Golf Inn which has the character of a funeral parlour.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
Glad you enjoyed Kilspindie Mark, it's several years since I was there last, certainly before Craigielaw was opened.

Do they still require you to wear a jacket in the clubhouse?  We played 36 holes and they insisted we had to wear a jacket for a soup & sandwich lunch.  We didn't have to change out of our golf gear, just put a jacket over the top which led to several sartorial failures!

I haven't played Craigielaw, but I haven't heard of any rave reviews.  Its main claims to fame seems to be the hickory championships and as the home course of Lloyd Saltman.

Agreed re The Old Clubhouse in Gullane.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
Andrew no need for jacket at Kilspindie any more. Craigielaw is by Donald Steele who is well regarded on these shores, mind he builds what the client asks for.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
I've played Craigielaw a couple of times. Always very welcoming, if a bit modern sterile clubhouse.  The course is decent if not outstanding, though I've heard people disagree with this view.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back