News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Ballyneal vs Pacific Dunes
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »
I just had a thought that I dont think has been mentioned..that of being able to play at YOUR pace...unhurried by anybody
The luxury of being able to spend 20 minutes messing around at a green site, playing out of all the bunkers, putting from all angles...the abilityto be able to play 2 or 3 balls.
Can you do that at Pacific Dunes on a regular basis, probably not...just a thought but to me that is worthy of consideration for the entire golf experience.
That to me emboddied what Ballyneal is all about.
A fun golf experience.

Michael,

Your certainly not wrong.  On the 2nd time around with no one in sight, we stopped on 7 and played around for a good 15 minutes.  It was a blast.

However, at PD this wouldn't be a problem because the funnest green on the course is the practice green.   ;D

Ajay Yadav

« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
Having now played both Pacific Dunes and Ballyneal (both from the tips), I will rate Ballyneal clearly ahead of Pacific Dunes

The Ballyneal greens are fantastic and makes the shots from approach onwards fun, interesting and challenging.....Pacific dunes suffers from comparison.....

Not much difference on the tee shots.. both courses are probably equal in that department....

On a side note: On some holes such as 1, 4. 15, and possibly17,  18, I found that the tee shots from the back offer more fun angles than from the so called blue tee shots. (on the others they offered similar angles).. I found that interesting....... 

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:07:50 PM by Ajay Yadav »

David Botimer

« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2008, 01:50:02 AM »
Wyatt - those are all tough calls.

But wouldn't you sub 6 for 16 at Pacific?  I would in terms of the great short par 4.  And as cool as 7 BN is - and wow it is cool - 6 PD wins that one (for me anyway).

Interesting also, I was thinking about a great long par 3 comparison... but PD doesn't really have one.... I guess 17 can be considered long, but not in the brutish way that 15 BN is.... so BN wins that by default....

You are right in substituting 6 for 16 at Pac.  16 becomes almost unplayable on a windy summer day and the green VERY difficult to hit, much like 14 at Bandon Trails.

As for long par 3 at Pac, you don't think 10 at 206 yards, or 17 at 208 yards, both into a slightly angled summer winds of 3-5 clubs plays very long?  Both will play 250 yards plus and trouble on at least 2 sides....

Scott Szabo

« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
Huck..what is this viscious story I hear about you hitting into the gap on number eight...were you playing the ladies tees? ;D

If I had $100K lying around I'd join tomorrow. 

TH

Huck,

I feel your pain - try living 50 miles from this wonderful place and not be able to be a part of it!  It was much more doable for me a few months ago, but the increase took it out of my reach.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

Re: Ballyneal vs Pacific Dunes New
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
Having just returned from my first trip to Bandon I can now opine. What a place? Mike Keiser is truly a hero with a vision. Luckily I was able to meet both Shoe and Tom Jefferson. Their kind friendliness was SOP from every staff member. Not in a forced fake way, (like PB) but truly genuine.

Immediately I was put off [edit] that two of the three courses had one shotters for their second. Mind you, as golf holes, they were all very good to great, but for me, that's just too early in the round for such an exacting question.

Initial impressions of Pac D. were varied, but mostly awed. I sensed some of Pete's (9th DZ) and surely Mike's influences. The intimacy was apparent with all the criss-crossing (maybe a tad too much leading to some confusion). I thought the opener was a bit odd with it's randomly placed rough grassed mounds. It was intriguing though, and, I really wanted another bite of that apple after my caddie had me hit 3 wood. For my game, it made no sense because I can screw up easier with less club, while confident of getting up and down from anywhere.

The feature shaping on some of those bunkers was narly cool, in a good way, but in no way appeared all that natural to me (or the site). I suppose it was the retail affect's coolness which out weighed the desire for a naturalness? Also, you can keep that beach sand! Maybe if I had a month to perfect the type of swing needed, I would change my mind. The Redan seemed like an odd addition, but after watching Ben make a deuce, I can forget that aspect of crit.  ;)

Clearly the ocean's influence was a huge part of the experience. My two days there saw perfect weather, with a rough sea, causing the salt mist to hover like scenes from those Fantasy golf pictures.

I felt the one aspect that most closely resembled anything at Ballyneal was the home hole strategies.

Truthfully, a better comparison would be BN v. BT. I was blown away by the Trails beauty.

Did C&C have Mike's influences the same way Kidd and Doak did? I know at BN, Tom was given free reign to design, save for one instance which turns out to be moot because that's where Jim saw the home green on his initial visit, anyway.

BTW, Old Mac looked glorious. The views of the Hogsback hole was quite distracting (in a good way, maybe?) while playing Pac Dunes.
That's enough for now, maybe after further marinating I'll have something new to add.

(I did not go back over and read all the responses to this thread. Choosing to add to it than start a new "MY" experiences thread.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:40:08 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Richard Choi

« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
Yea! I can finally comment on this thread!

It may be due to the fact that it was recent and my experience so positive, but to me, Ballyneal is a superior course. Everything is just more dramatic, from fairways to greens. The movements are just unbelievable and strategies offered are second to none. The greens are the best greens I have ever played. You can play this course 10 times and never see a same shot. Just an unbeliveable course.

Pacific Dunes is no pushover and in beauty, it is clear superior. Because of the dunes surrounding Ballyneal are so similar in every direction, it makes the course bit less memorable. And PD has its share of very very strong holes.

But if you are picking a course to play everyday, I cannot think of a better place than Ballyneal.

Tim Bert

« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

Immediately I was put off that all three courses had one shotters for their second. Mind you, as golf holes, they were all very good to great, but for me, that's just too early in the round for such an exacting question.

You are either a REALLY big hitter or else they didn't let you play the real Pacific Dunes...  The first one-shotter on PD doesn't happen until the 5th.

hick

« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
it seems to me that bulls bay would be a good option for a winter national membership for someone in a cold winter climate.

George Freeman

« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »
it seems to me that bulls bay would be a good option for a winter national membership for someone in a cold winter climate.

Mat,

That very well could be true...but I'm curious, what does that have to do with this thread?!

Cheers,

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Franklin

« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »
That's a great question and the answer is...... ???
Mr Hurricane

hick

« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
its a course not in the league of ballyneal that one could join and play year round or as a winter getaway as opposed to ballyneal which has a limited season. read the last page of the thread, and  carl and adams post. hope this helps

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back