News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Ballyneal vs Pacific Dunes
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »
Part of the brilliance of 16 as well is:

If one gets too greedy and goes left off the tee, unless you got some serious stones the play is a layup to the BOA, which still leaves one with a fairly longish 3rd shot in to an elevated green.  You can try to hit it over the dune if you go left, but just ask Andy T about the wisdom of that one!  ;D

Additionally one can play safer out to the right, and still able to hit it thru the narrow passage, shall we call it the Birth Canal?, to leave a simple wedge in. Or even try a go at the green.  There is certainly alot more to this hole, the more I think about it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
Birth Canal - LOL!

We called that area through the BofA the Slot of Destiny.

But good points for sure - having left a drive over near that left bunker, with 240 to the green or whatever... well it does take stones to aim it over the hill.  I tried it to and the spirit and flesh ended up weak... just couldn't get myself to go far enough left, hit it onto the right hill up near the green.  That's the home of bogeys or worse also.

;D

jkinney

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
"Bowl of Achievement"....."Birth Canal"......."Slot of Destiny".......This is wonderful stuff, and you are endowing Ballyneal with Old Course like patina !

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »
"Bowl of Achievement"....."Birth Canal"......."Slot of Destiny".......This is wonderful stuff, and you are endowing Ballyneal with Old Course like patina !

JK - you should have been there as we played.... this is just the tip of the iceberg... my friends and I are exceedingly strange.  Or check that, it's just me.  They do laugh at my musings, though.

;D

jkinney

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »
Tom- What about names for some of the bunkers...."Rupert's Revenge"...or the like ?!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
Tom- What about names for some of the bunkers...."Rupert's Revenge"...or the like ?!!!

The names we had for such cannot be reprinted here.

;)

jkinney

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »

The names we had for such cannot be reprinted here.

;)
Surely Captain Kirk would have named some bunkers by now "sans epithets". Beam us in, Captain Kirk !!!!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2008, 05:44:42 PM »
what do you call the bowl on the other side of the fairway bunkers on #8 if you can get it down there off the tee?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
I would bet that someone has named the small bunker that guards the front of this Par 3 beauty!

Any suggestions?

Bart

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2008, 05:48:19 PM »
what do you call the bowl on the other side of the fairway bunkers on #8 if you can get it down there off the tee?

I have no name for that Bowl, as none of us ever made it over.  Not that my long-hitting friends didn't try!

However... the slot to the left of said fairway bunker was indeed the Slot of Success.

I named it that having gotten my drive through there 3 out of four playings.  That makes that hole very reachable also.

Sean Leary

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »
Should be the Beaty Bowl after member Ryan Beaty was likely the first person to fly the mounds on the right, a 320 carry or so. John Kirk and I were witnesses. Absolutely incredible.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »
Should be the Beaty Bowl after member Ryan Beaty was likely the first person to fly the mounds on the right, a 320 carry or so. John Kirk and I were witnesses. Absolutely incredible.

That is one monster shot.  Yowza.  He does deserve the moniker.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »
For the opening bunker on the left side of #1 fairway.

"Aloha crevice."  For when Aloha means hello.

For the multiple bunkers on 13.

"Pity Pits".  Tis a pity to get in one of em.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »
By any chance did any of you play with a member?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2008, 09:27:26 AM »
Adam-

I did play with a member.

Chip

Ted Kramer

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »
Re #16.
I pulled my drive left into the native.
Found it, and hit a wedge over a big hill/mound along the left side of the fairway.
Had a short iron into the green, maybe a 9 iron.
Got lucky, hit it to about 3 feet.
Made birdie.
Really don't have any idea how the hole plays or should play.

-Ted
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:38:51 AM by Ted Kramer »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
Isn't that the key to the freedom found at Ballyneal, that is void at the majority of other courses worldwide?

There is no "way" to play the hole which has been pre-determined. Each hole is subject to the vagaries of nature both human and Mother.

Par as a number is irrelevant. If the wind is into your face at 45 mph, it won't take long before it's behind you.

Chip, I was remiss in not directing my question to those who are naming these aspects of the golf course. Somehow, it came off as disrespect.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Adam:  I was the one doing most of the naming.  I meant no disrespect as I surely don't mean for the names to "stick" - it was just fun we were having in our group, and in my excitement I shared it here.   Note the caddies were cracking up at all of it.

My apologies if it offends you, or any other members, in any way.  OBVIOUSLY you all do the naming there.

But I do think "Bowl of Achievement" is a neat name, if you would consider offerings from a humble one-time guest.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
Adam,

Let me 2nd Toms sentiments.  None of the naming conventions that I added were meant to be disrespectful, just having fun on a GCA.com thread.

The course and every one of its unique features are nothing short of fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:41:49 AM by Kalen Braley »

Ed Oden

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »
Adam, I may also be one of those you were directing your question to since I questioned whether the 16th hole is among the best on the course.  We played with Rupert.  First, let me reiterate that I think Ballyneal is outstanding and is certainly worthy of the acclaim bestowed on it both in the media and by those on this site who treasure it.  That being said, as with any course, not every hole and every feature possess equal qualities of perfection.  My point about the 16th is that playing into a very strong wind (probably 40 mph) I did not see that it offered the strategic choices I found present in other holes that similarly played into the same wind, such as 6, 8 or 14.  I felt that each of these other holes still offered a number of options despite the wind.  Whereas at 16, the thought process was simply get the ball in play off the tee pretty much anywhere, hope to find the Bowl of Achievement with your second, and then play a mid-long iron third uphill against the wind to the green.  At the end of the day, my point is really intended less as criticism of 16 and more as praise for these other holes for a design that still allows for different playing options under admittedly harsh conditions.  I have every confidence that #16 is a great hole under different conditions.

By the way, one thing I found very interesting about #16 (at least under the tough conditions we encountered) was that despite a sharp dogleg, pretty much the entire hole played directly into the wind.  I believe the "true" wind direction was actually into our faceoff the tee.  But the trek up to the green from the dogleg also played into perhaps an even more violent wind.  I can only assume the high dunes on both sides of this part of the hole act as a wind tunnel diverting its path.  Have others experienced this?

Ed

Bart Bradley

« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
Adam:

I'll apologize also..although I was really curious if that small bunker had a name (I would not presume to name it myself)...It is really cool.

Bart

Tim Pitner

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
The "bowl of achievement"?  Back to the drawing board on that one, I think--Ballyneal deserves better. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
The "bowl of achievement"?  Back to the drawing board on that one, I think--Ballyneal deserves better. 

You no likey?  I think it's pretty cool myself.  But we shall let the members rule.  Just do remember it gets initial caps when written, and a James Earl Jones voice when spoken.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »
In a James Earl jones voice:

"Luke, this is you father, use the force to reach the Bowl of Achievement"  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:50:38 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
In a James Earl jones voice:

"Luke, this is you father, you must reach the Bowl of Achievement"  ;D  ;D

EXACTLY!

This is the fun we were having.  No disrespect intended.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back