News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Maintenance Seminar Week 2 - Grow Me A Golf Course
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »
(Sorry I couldn't do this yesterday, Ike's winds left us without power for about 18 hours.)

I've always been interested - yet woefully ignorant - in the process of growing in a golf course. Some quick questions:

How do you decide which grasses to use?

How long does it take to get a playable surface? How long till some sort of reasonable maturity?

Are the maintenance procedures similar between grow in and maintaining grass? i.e. how often you water, mow, etc?

How difficult would it be to grow in a course without irrigation? How did the old guys do it?

Please add your own questions and your own insights.

Thanks. Last week went okay, though maybe with not quite as much info volunteered as possible.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Maintenance Seminar Week 2 - Grow Me A Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »
Paging Duane Sharpe, illustrious green-keeper at Blackhawk GC  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
Okay George, I hope that this helps enlighten you:

Let me state that my experience and knowledge is of cool season grasses in Europe so my answers need to be read with this in mind.

It depends on the area and climate. In the Fairway and rough mix it is wise to look at what grasses are in the local area already and intergrate them into the seed mix. This is also a good idea for the tee and even the green mix if suitable. Other things to consider are size of green, amount of traffic, size of maintenance budget and the type of course the GCA wants (which should be compatible with all that was mentioned before).

How long does it take to get a playable surface?

Depends on grass, climate, irrigation and so on. Between 12 weeks and 2years.

How long till some sort of reasonable maturity?

As with the previous but maybe 2 to 10 years.

Are the maintenance procedures similar between grow in and maintaining grass? i.e. how often you water, mow, etc?

No, they are different. How? Difficult to answer, I have led 8 grow-ins and they have all been very different.

How difficult would it be to grow in a course without irrigation? How did the old guys do it?

You need the right climate. Go with drought tolarent grasses, get the soil situation spot on and use as little sand as you can get away with in the rootzone. Don’t force the growth in any way and concentrate on getting as good a root establishment as possible so make sure that you have atleast 3 vegetation periods before opening.
The main problem have encountered is many projects don’t allow the time or budget really required for a good grow-in. Often, if the build takes longer than planned owners often think it can be compensated by a shorter grow-in. More fertiliser, more water and damn the consequences just get it open usually followed the next year with complaints about the consequences.

I think in the old days courses were not expected to be in such a good condition when they were opened but I could be wrong.

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »

Usually decided by super, architect and owner based on expected clientele, # of rounds, competitors in the area and surface desired. Once a type (bent, blue, fescue etc.) is chosen. Hopefully they let the super pick the varieties used. There are so many more choices now than there were 10-20 years ago. If you are expecting less play (private club) you will want less aggressive varieties because more aggressive means more thatch. More play means you need faster recovery.
If you are going for firm and fast you want more drought tolerant and hardy varieties. If you are going for the Augusta look you will lean towards the varities with the best color ratings. Disease resistance is also a big criteria for everyone. In Northern Michigan, dollar spot and snow mold are our major concerns. The farther south you go the more diseases you have to contend with.
In the US we have the National Turfgrass Evaluation trials. Seed companies put their varieties in at trial plots across the country and they are evaluated in dozens of categories every year. If you are choosing grasses you look at the results from sites that are similar to yours.

How long does it take to get a playable surface? How long till some sort of reasonable maturity?

In the US very few courses (except Old McDonald) have the luxury of slow extended grow-ins. Generally most developers want it open within 1 year of seeding. It generally takes 3-5 years for them to "mature".

No. After seeding you need to keep the surface damp to germinate the grass asap, so you water lightly every hour or two all day long. The faster you get germination the less susceptible you are to washouts from rain events. As the grass germinates and fills in you water deeper and less often to stretch the roots downward.
You also fertilize lighter and more often early and stretch the intervals as the grass fills in.

How difficult would it be to grow in a course without irrigation?

Seed timing would be the most important thing here. You have to depend on Mother Nature for water so you would want to seed just before the rainy season in your area. There might be more washouts to fix, but you won't germinate anything if it doesn't rain.

How did the old guys do it?

I don't know, but I would guess that there was enough farming knowledge from the people involved that they just applied those principles. Back then they knew that it would take longer to grow in. They didn't have the tools that we do now. I think it probably took them longer to build holes so they would seed as they completed holes, then play what was available, whether it was 3,8 or 12 holes till they were all ready.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »
In retrospect, I should have added the illustrious Dan Lucas, of the Kingsley Club, to my page above!

Thanks Dan  :)
jeffmingay.com

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the answers, they are much appreciated.

I'll start the next one tomorrow - the topic:

Comparative Maintenance Practices - i.e. what type of maintenance requirements are the toughest (scruffy? perfectly manicured? F&F? Soft & green?)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back