News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Re: Valhalla is the greatest venue in modern championship golf
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 07:23:09 AM »
Is the green on top of the cairn , the Scottish part ?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:25:51 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »
What ever happened to peoples' understanding of grammar in this country?

It went out with people's understanding of apostrophes.

Multiple emoticons omitted.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Brad Klein

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »
I thought the honor belonged to Torrey Pines.

Actually, the course set up of minimal rough and plenty of fairway allowed for folks to play quality shots. Plus there was a good variety of long and short holes. And the par-5s allowed for strategic options. A great course? Well, it's match play, and the basic function of a golf course in match play is to stay out of the way and let the guys play. But Valhalla acquited itself pretty well, esp. on the par-5s.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 10:53:43 AM »

It went out with people's understanding of apostrophes.

Multiple emoticons omitted.

Give Shivas a break, Dan.  Hes' just a lawyer, and doesn't know any better.....

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
There are probably a hundred other courses that would work just as well if not better.

Just because the course worked well (with a TOTALLY different kind of setting than what you would see at a major championship) for a match play does not make it even a good venue for a champioship golf.

TX Golf

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »
Also... I read the thread title to mean modern golf..... not modern courses. I guess it could be interpreted in more than one way.

Robert

Actually, you were correct with your interpretation, but incorrect in your attempt to be nice: the fact is that it can't be interpreted more than one way. 

It would have to say "greatest modern venue in championship golf" to be interpreted to exclude old courses.

Modern modifies "golf", not "venue". 

I guess I still need to learn to stand my ground on this site!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06:45 AM »
I thought the honor belonged to Torrey Pines.

Brad, great mention.

Its always the latest and greatest course, until the next exciting finish comes along then its that one. 

Can't wait to hear the ohh's, ahh's, and fawning at ANGC should Tiger, Phil, and Sergio get in a Sunday battle royal again.

I find it amazing how many folks buy into the following:

1) One guy gets hot and runs away with it in a snooze fest.....so that course must suck.
2) All the big names are struggling that week so some 2nd tier players step up and have a go on Sunday for a yawner disinterested finish....so that course must be setup wrong.
3)  One big name fights off 2nd and third tier players down the stretch, so the course must be off becacuse it only favors that one player.

4) Yet when a few big names get clicking on the same weekend and provide a great finish, its "ohhh the course is so wonderful, its so great, its so fantastic."

As said before, you could put these guys on Lincoln Park in San fran and I can gurantee with all the 1/2 par holes and risk reward shots, it would be some of the best golf viewing ever.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »
If you count classic venues, Valhalla isn't even mentionable.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

tlavin

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »
Just goes to show that you don't need a great golf course, architecturally speaking, to have a great venue for professional golf, particularly match play.

Torrey Pines proved it earlier this year and Valhalla reinforced the notion.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »
Kalen, I first thought Brad's comment was meant as humor. Then I realized it was both sad and true as it relates to modern venues.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:24:25 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
Just goes to show that you don't need a great golf course, architecturally speaking, to have a great venue for professional golf, particularly match play.

Torrey Pines proved it earlier this year and Valhalla reinforced the notion.

Terry,

This is heresy to say such things on GCA.com!!  If the Ryder cup were held anywhere else, it would have been an umitigated disaster.  ;D  ::)

Pat Burke

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50:45 PM »
Was fortunate enough to play in the first PGA at Valhalla, and if I may.  The course was pretty ordinary for a major, but what made the event were the people.  It had the best atmosphere of any tournament I ever played.  I was middle of the pack on the weekend, and it was still electric.  The atmosphere with kenny Perry and Mark Brooks was one of my favorite times in tournament golf.
So, I would say that Valhalla is definitely a great venue for major golf if not a great golf course  imho

Pat, an OT question that just came to my mind.  A year or so ago, I read Lee Trevino say that many pro players don't like Augusta National.  I'm pretty sure he meant the course itself.  Any comments on that? 

Trevino said the course didn't suit hit low flight back then, but there was also some speculation that some of the good ol boys weren't too friendly with him, so he didn't feel welcome. 
From my stand point, I was a mid pack guy most of my career and The Masters was the only major I didn't qualify for.  For guys like me, getting to Augusta was one of our goals
As far as other players, the only negative I heard, was that height and length gave tremendous advantage during tournament week, but then again, height and length tend to help in most tournament weeks ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
Are we talking modern courses or not?  I think Oakmont first, without a doubt.  There are just a few to many kitchy moments at Valhalla...seven, for instance, and thirteen.

Norbert P

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
It is not. K Club in Ireland takes that spot. Not only does it exemplify the finest in Irish golf*,  it serves Guinness, not Brazillian Bud.

* I'm sure to be stricken with a pox.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Mosely

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »
Slag, themz fite-in words ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back