News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Phillips

Congratulations to the USA!
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »
Well done boys, a well deserved victory.  Putted like demons all week.

Great golf all weekend...

Europe have a young team that will be back in 2010...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ronald Montesano

Re: Congratulations to the USA!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
Thanks on that.  I guess we can add Furyk's name to future US Captains.  Never thought that Holmes would win and I thought Wilson would come through for Europe.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:39:37 PM »
Add Kim to that current and long-term superstar list.  I'm a committee chairman for Tiger's AT&T tournament and Tiger has commented to his AT&T staff earlier this year that he thinks Kim is the one to watch in the golf future....

JC

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
Definitely the best team won.  Great sport.

Europe have a young team that will be back in 2010...

and the USA have Kim who will be back in 2010,12,14,16,18 etc, etc
Let's make GCA grate again!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
Yes, the US played wonderfully well throughout. I am sure Faldo will be crucified, and with some justification, but there is no escaping how well the US played. Jim Furyk gave a very gentlemanly winning interview on Sky which was a nice note to finish on. It was the cup of the Rookies on both sides, but the Euro old guard especially struggled to make an impact.

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »
If you were the 2010 American Captain, would you even bother having Tiger back?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »
Weedawunitwimonty. Roll on Gleneagles 2014.

Well done the boys in red. It was watchable.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »
Well done to the US - thoroughly deserved.

The only crumb of comfort from a European point of view was that Jim Furyk holed the winning putt, and not Holmes.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
Even though I disagreed with the Poulter pick he did very well.  Its a shame Casey was so ineffectual.  In the end, the better team won and I hope folks don't get too down on Faldo.  He was the captain and he made his choices.  In the end, his picks won 5 points and that ain't bad at all! 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »
Not a lot of fun being the only Euro in our clubhouse today after having made a total mess of the club championship... that said USA were better, but there was great golf from both teams and very little choking, compared to excellence under pressure. Too may highlights to list. And I did notice Sergio smiling and shaking US hands after Furyk holed out, which can't hurt relations.
Does anyone else think Boo Weekly's swing is reminiscent of Elkington's. I do. It is very elegant.

Jay Cox

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »

Yes, without a second thought.

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »

Yes, without a second thought.

No.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »
After two weeks of unabashed miming at the Olympics, Bryn Terfel's LIVE singing just saves the Ryder Cup for me. Well done, Cymru!!!

FBD.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
Can we get a new cheer? U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A gets really boring after a while.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »
Never before was the Ode to Joy less joyously appreciated.

It's only a game boys...

FBD.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
Can we get a new cheer? U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A gets really boring after a while.

At least it means something...

What the hell is this "ooooollleeeeee, ole, ole, ole, ooooooolleeeeee, ooooolllleeeee, ole, ole" stuff?

Tim Bert

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »

What the hell is this "ooooollleeeeee, ole, ole, ole, ooooooolleeeeee, ooooolllleeeee, ole, ole" stuff?

Oh, is that what they were yelling??  When Sergio was trying to weasel one out of the rules official, I thought they were shouting "slow play, slow play, slow play."  What are the odds that a guy would get to call the burrowing animal rule and the "my foot hits steps when I aim in a strange direction and put my left foot 2' behind where I'd normally take my stance" rule in back-to-back tournaments? 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 11:04:25 PM »
My dear Tomothy,

I thought you were a typical Southern gentleman and would never doubt the bona fides and intentions of a Spanish pretender.

Shame on you. ;)

Bob

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 12:04:23 AM »
It was nice to finally see Team USA make putts in a Ryder Cup.  The young blood infused into the team was great for them.  Kim, Weekley, Holmes, Mahan were fearless.  As an American it is always a beautiful thing to watch Sergio lose a match and it's even better when a local kid from here in La Quinta, CA dismantles him 5 & 4.  It's been a long time since the cheers of "U-S-A" were drowning out the cheers of "ole, ole, ole...".  Team USA looked like they didn't have kernels of corn in their shorts for once!

For the Euros... Poulter was awesome.  He played possessed.  That look he made in that final four-ball match on Saturday afternoon was frightening.  I thought that might inspire the rest of the Euros to get pumped up.  McDowell was impressive as well.

Overall, a pretty cordial and well played Ryder Cup.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 12:13:47 AM »
It was nice to finally see Team USA make putts in a Ryder Cup.  The young blood infused into the team was great for them.  Kim, Weekley, Holmes, Mahan were fearless.  As an American it is always a beautiful thing to watch Sergio lose a match and it's even better when a local kid from here in La Quinta, CA dismantles him 5 & 4.  It's been a long time since the cheers of "U-S-A" were drowning out the cheers of "ole, ole, ole...".  Team USA looked like they didn't have kernels of corn in their shorts for once!

For the Euros... Poulter was awesome.  He played possessed.  That look he made in that final four-ball match on Saturday afternoon was frightening.  I thought that might inspire the rest of the Euros to get pumped up.  McDowell was impressive as well.

Overall, a pretty cordial and well played Ryder Cup.

Jeff F.

Agree on Poulter.  One of the all-time great individual Ryder Cup performances.  He trailed for only 2 holes the entire event.  That's remarkable stuff.  Do you think he wanted to validate Faldo's selection?  8)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 02:13:18 AM »
Great to see a US team look like they wanted it more than their opponents.  Also great that apart from the two spoilt brats in game 1 there appeared to be a real air of sportsmanship and friendship in the matches.  In the end Faldo was let down by his senior players - Garcia, Westwood and Harrington didn't manage a win between them and that left far too much for their team mates to achieve.  Hopefully this result will also mean that we don't hear any more suggestions that the USA has lost interest in the Ryder Cup (at least until we win it back in 2010!)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 04:40:15 AM »
Congratulations to the US Team and Captain for (finally) winning back the Ryder Cup. It was well deserved but might very well have been a more close affair if especially Garcia and Harrington had been a bit sharper.

I really appreciated the setup of the course for matchplay with lots of birdies and 'going-for-the-greens-in-two'. It is much nicer to see the holes being won by birdies than lost by bogies or doubles.

Philip

Michael

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »
Poulter and Rose..two really bright spots for the Euros..those two should split a few Majors in the not to distant future.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

Oh, is that what they were yelling??  When Sergio was trying to weasel one out of the rules official, I thought they were shouting "slow play, slow play, slow play."  What are the odds that a guy would get to call the burrowing animal rule and the "my foot hits steps when I aim in a strange direction and put my left foot 2' behind where I'd normally take my stance" rule in back-to-back tournaments? 

The US fans' response was "No Waaaay, no way, no way, nooo waaay"!

Steve Pozaric

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »
Steve,

I read that also, too funny!

Well after doing some looking around, as best as I can tell the "ole, ole, ole" song comes from soccer....err football origins.

If true, so much for the old "proper, polite, and educated euro fans" myth. Bringing football chants to the golf course is well, nothing short of dignified indeed!!  ::)  ::)  ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back