News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Who will be U.S. captain in 2010 and beyond?
« on: September 21, 2008, 07:33:58 AM »
Any thoughts out there as to who will be the U.S. Ryder Cup captain 2010 and who are likely captains in the future?

I figure at some point Davis Love III and Justin Leonard are locks but both (especially Leonard) are too young for 2010.

My money is on Corey Pavin for 2010.

- John

Brian_Ewen

Re: Who will be U.S. captain in 2010 and beyond?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:49:48 AM »
I hope your money is correct .

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
Its a PGA event, and they favor former PGA champs.  Love has one of those, but I don' t think Pavin does, just a US Open, right?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
Jeff,

Not so sure about that theory. Curtis Strange and Tom Kite had won U.S. Open's and Tom Lehman has a British Open.

I do agree though that they seem to like to reward winners of the PGA championship if they possibly can (Sutton, Wadkins, Azinger to name three) except of course Larry Nelson who got royally screwed.

- John

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
You've got to think Kenny Perry has set himself up to take on this task at some point in the not to distant future, particularly if he gets a win today and the US goes on to win.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
Holy jeez...there is no way that Perry will captain a Ryder Cup team.  These guys have to garner a major win at the very minimum and then go on to know "the right people."  Here's my short list for 2010:

DL3, then Pavin, then Toms, then Tway as a dark horse.

That's it.  You can't use the PGA as a barometer because here's your running taly of PGA winners...

2008 - Padraig Harrington  (Foreign)
2007 - Tiger Woods
2006 - Tiger Woods
2005 - Phil Mickelson  (Too Young)
2004 - Vijay Singh  (Foreign)
2003 - Shaun Micheel  (Shaun Micheel)
2002 - Rich Beem  (Rich Beem)
2001 - David Toms  (#2 Candidate)
2000 - Tiger Woods 
1999 - Tiger Woods (Too Young)
1998 - Vijay Singh (Foreign)
1997 - Davis Love III  (#1 Candidate)
1996 - Mark Brooks  (Blahhhh)
1995 - Steve Elkington (Foreign)
1994 - Nick Price (Foreign)
1993 - Paul Azinger (BTDT)
1992 - Nick Price  (Foreign)
1991 - John Daly  (John Daly)
1990 - Wayne Grady  (Foreign)
1989 - Payne Stewart 
1988 - Jeff Sluman  (Too old)
1987 - Larry Nelson    (Royally Screwed)
1986 - Bob Tway  (Maybe an assistant, then who knows?)
1985 - Hubert Green  (Too old)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Bert

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
Sorry to holy jeez you....  I just threw him in the mix because he's the first American player that genuinely seemed to care about making the US team in some time.  I thought maybe his passion should be rewarded since he set up an entire season of golf based solely on making the team.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »
Does O'Meara get a shot, or were there some politics that messed that up?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »
Seems like David Toms is too young, if he gets his game back he's more likely to be playing than captaining for now. Good choice in the long run though.

Hasn't Fred Couples been in the conversation about future captains? I think Kenny Perry has as good or better of a shot than Bob Tway, but not sure either one of them will do it when compared to the other options.

Agree with Love III or Pavin. I think Azinger has done a heck of a job, his passion for the event has been infectious.

David Schmiel

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
I think O'Meara's time has come and gone.  He would be 53 in 2010 and the PGA of America likes their captains to be in their mid-to-late 40s.  The captain will need to have won at least one major in his career so that eliminates Kenny Perry unless he wins one next year at the age of 49 (doubtful).  And the theory of the PGA always taking PGA champions was blown out of the water when Larry Nelson was passed over for Tom Kite in '97.  Freddie Couples is waaaay too low key for the Ryder Cup captaincy (but just to show how little the Presidents Cup really matters, Freddie is the U.S. captain in 2009 at Harding Park in San Fran). 

So for 2010 that leaves DLIII.  He'll be the perfect age (46 in 2010), is still an active tour player and so knows the locker room well, is a past major champion (PGA championship at that), has Ryder Cup experience galore (played in six consecutive Cups from '93 to '04 including two winning teams, one at the Belfry in '93 and of course at Brookline in '99). 

After that, the list gets a bit short though.  Corey Pavin will be 51 in 2010 and has been absent from Ryder play since 1995.  He might get the nod, though, based on his competitiveness. Bob Tway never played in a Ryder Cup so he won't even be in the discussion.  David Toms played in three in a row from '02 to '06 and will be 43 in 2010.  He might be a good choice but may want to try to compete for a spot on the team on his own. 

Down the line, of course, Tiger, Phil, Justin, and Jim Furyk, will all get their shots.  But the PGA of America may have to resort to non-major winners at some point because Tiger's dominance and the rise of the Europeans has resulted in fewer and fewer Americans winning majors in the last few years.  (disclaimer, I have not researched this statement but in general I think it's true).

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
i hope Larry Nelson
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »
Freddie Couples is waaaay too low key for the Ryder Cup captaincy (but just to show how little the Presidents Cup really matters, Freddie is the U.S. captain in 2009 at Harding Park in San Fran). 

Ah ha...that's what I was thinking of. Freddie will keep the team loose at least!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 12:00:21 PM »
tIM, don't worry... a little holy jeezing is a good thing...keeps me awake as the minutes dwindle before Garcia-Kim.

Let's reverse it...Pavin at 49 in 2010, Love at 48 in 2012 (that gives him another shot at making a team, like Perry did), then Toms in 2014.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
The PGA of America should account for its own stupidity in ignoring Larry Nelson.

The man won three majors -- two of them PGA Championships, was a phenom in past Ryder Cup play and has had an outstanding senior career.

Before all the other names get thrown into the hopper -- Nelson needs his time in the sun.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
While we all agree, his time may have come and gone in the eyes of the players.  He would basically have to go out on the regular tour and get to know the guys on the team, unless the USPGA wants to break with recent tradition (oxymoron?) and pick a truly ceremonial Captain.  Nelson is a bit like Bill Mazeroski was for the Pirates...didn't seek the limelight, just did his work.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
Ron:

With all due respect -- the silly notion that a captain must "go out on the regular tour and get to know the guys on the team" is just not needed. Did Hogan do that prior to his captaincy at Champions?

One other thing -- Nelson is far beyond the likes of one big hit / but little else ball player like Bill Mazeroski. Nelson was a dominant player and frankly his omission needs to be straightened out ASAP.

John Blain

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
Matt,

I can't agree with you more regarding Larry Nelson. Having said that, however, I believe it is a dead issue. It has been fairly well documented over the past few years about Nelson getting the snub but the bottom line is that he will never get the nod.
Two or three years ago a bunch of the past captains like Dave Stockton, Lanny Wadkins, Ray Floyd and others went to the PGA of America to lobby for the job on his behalf but nothing ever came of it. Apparently they considered him for 2006 but for whatever stupid reason they had a problem with his age and gave the job to Tom Lehman.

When did this ridiculous attitude about the captain having to be a contemporary of the players begin? It's nuts. Jack Nicklaus isn't a contemporary of today's tour players but he seemed an awfully popular (and successful) captain for the President's Cup.

The truly sad thing about Nelson isn't that he didn't just deserve it, he would have been (and still would be) terrific...

- John

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »
My hand is up for Larry Nelson...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »
Johnny Miller.   ;D  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »
Fred Funk.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
The sad part is that guys like Larry Nelson who don't shout and stomp for attention are ignored. I'd be very curious why the PGA snubbed him because the man is first class all the way.

Nelson was a real gut check golfer. I was at Oakmont when he turned things around in '83 with his sensational 65-67 finished. The dropped 60 footer at #16 to win on the Monday after the Sunday suspension of play is truly one of the great shots I have personally witnessed.

The man's record -- both on and off the course -- are there for those with eyes to see. The PGA of America needs to take off the darkened sunglasses.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 05:31:06 PM »
Jim Furyk down the road...

Matt,

Mazeroski is in the hall of fame...my comparison was in the low key, don't need the attention.  Apparently you missed that.

Also, Larry Nelson was not a dominant player.  He came up big three times, served the USA in Vietnam and represents all that is good about the country.  Do I want him to be Captain?  Yes.  Will he be Captain?  No.  Therefore, let's be realistic, not naive and romantic, and focus on whom it will be...Pavin followed by Love followed by Toms or Furyk are my guesses.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
I realize they were all US Opens, but how about three time major winner Hale Irwin. 

noonan

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
C. Strange

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 09:03:53 PM »
Johnny Miller.   ;D  ;)

I'll 2nd this one.  He has a great repotoire with all the players, knows thier games and all thier weaknesses after watching them week in and week out.  I bet they would rally around him like no other..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back