News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Ryder Cup driving distance - ??
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Maybe I'm not doing the math correctly, or else NBC has some crazy hole yardages posted on TV, but it appears the players are driving the ball well over 300 yards on almost every tee shot. 

On #18, there were several second shots around 195-205 yards with the hole listed as 547 yards.  That means tee shots of 340 yards more or less.  I can see JB Holmes doing that, since he really doesn't seem to care where the ball goes, but Furyk?

The 16th was 435 yards and most were hitting second shots from around 100 yards - uphill.

Is distance off the tee so important that they have to fudge these numbers?

It also appeared those greens were awfully soft.  It was a real birdie fest which made is exciting, but wouldn't you love to see the Ryder Cup played on firm greens with a lot more serious shotmaking required?

Of course it was as exciting as it could be, I guess that's what the PGA is looking for.

Thoughts?

C. Squier

Re: Ryder Cup driving distance - ??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
The format definitely helps....having a partner in tow definitely lets you swing a little harder.  Plus the length of the rough is also dictating a more aggressive play.  I'd guess the combination of the two adds 20 or so yards to their ave. distance over the entire weekend.  Not many 3 woods off the tee, that's for sure.

As for "more serious shotmaking", they're hitting plenty of great shots which require a ton of skill.  Put the Ryder Cup on a place like Oakmont and I think it would be a disaster.  Too much pressure, too hard of a course to provide a good competition.  I don't want to see bogey or double win holes.  But that's just me, I'm not offended by those who break par....just an arbitrary number to me.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »
I'm not sure of the reason, but there is a serious exageration of yardages between the ball landing and the number hitting our screens.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:38:09 PM »
Bill,

I noticed that as well.   

Phil seemed to flair his drive out to the left on 18 which landed in the bunker (no roll), yet had about 215-220 from there??
 ::)

If distance is that out of control and the gap between the top players and the rest of the world is about 80 yards per shot, perhaps I need to re-think my stance on bifurcation.  :-\ :-[

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
I thought the same.

I recall hearing them register drives of 370ish a FEW times.  Are the tee-boxes really elevated (on some holes) and/or the fairways really running out? 

I was blown away at how far these guys were hitting it off the tee on a few holes...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
I have been walking the course the past few days.  It's amazing how far most everyone seems to be hitting the ball, but I don't think TV exaggeration has anything to do with it.  The players are teeing it up well behind the tees that I've played from and driving it 50 or more yards past what would be a good drive for me.  Fairways seem to be running really well and I agree that the lack of rough permits players to be more aggressive.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:15:03 AM »
They are also cutting doglegs and gaining yards

Pat Burke

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:44:07 AM »
Bill,

I noticed that as well.   

Phil seemed to flair his drive out to the left on 18 which landed in the bunker (no roll), yet had about 215-220 from there??
 ::)

If distance is that out of control and the gap between the top players and the rest of the world is about 80 yards per shot, perhaps I need to re-think my stance on bifurcation.  :-\ :-[

Mike, I had the chance to play the Bridges with Phil a few times, and his extra gear (par 5 tee shots espec) is ridiculous.
I hit a pretty good one on number 7 one time, and I carry the ball about 270.  I hit 5 wood to the green.  Phil hit 7 iron!  I had to pace it (pure self torture) , and he had me by 68 yards :D.      He was consistently by me by about 20-25, but when he got all chins, cheeks , and boobs into it, it was insane ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back