News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T The Perfect Squelch
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
We have all heard of Winston Churchill's put down of Clement Attlee, his Deputy Prime Minister in the war- time coalition government. Someone remarked that Attlee was a very modest man, whereopon Churchill's riposte was, "Well he has much to be modest about."

Which brings me to Nick Faldo. After divorcing his first wife she summed him up thus, " Socially he is a 24 handicap."

Bob

Jeff_Brauer

Re: O/T The Perfect Squelch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
Wasn't it Faldo who thanked the media from "the heart of his bottom?"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
didn't some lady once tell WC that "if i was your wife i would poison your drinK" ...to which WC, never to be outdone, replied, "If i were your husband i would drink it"

what kills me about Faldo is that he was such a ________ while a player and then when he (basically) retired he supposedly has become much nicer....sounds like the definition of a hypocrite

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
Paul,

Faldo changed his persona when he saw he could make money being an "analyst" on tv and not having to play the Senior Tour. He doesn't drive a Maybach for nothing.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
not too shabby back seat

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
didn't some lady once tell WC that "if i was your wife i would poison your drinK" ...to which WC, never to be outdone, replied, "If i were your husband i would drink it"

what kills me about Faldo is that he was such a ________ while a player and then when he (basically) retired he supposedly has become much nicer....sounds like the definition of a hypocrite

Lady Astor, although I've just read that it never happened.  Lady Astor was the 1st woman to serve in The House of Commons, as a member of Churchill's Conservative Party.  She was born in Virginia.

She did get him back.  She was holding a costume ball and Churchill asked her what he should come disguised as.  "Why don't you come sober, Mr. Prime Minister," was her reply. ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:33:56 PM by Paul Stephenson »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »
Count me as one who is a huge fan of Nick Faldo...first for turning himself into a Hogan-like machine who might have been the most precise golfer since the great man himself, then for the complete revamping of his personality to become an engaging and knowledgeable announcer.

I can't comment on him as a husband, or an architect, which seems spotty at best , even though his architectural writings for Links Magazine were brilliant.

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
Which brings me to Nick Faldo. After divorcing his first wife she summed him up thus, " Socially he is a 24 handicap."

I bet financially he was a plus handicap, though.

It also begs the question, was she a social 24 handicap for being married to him, or a single figure marker thinking she could bring him to her level?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:20:25 AM »
Mark,

I am not privy to his matrimonial charms but he does seem to take a bogey once in a while.

On another matter, his personna is best summed up when he  dismisses Leadbetter  by a Fax message when the latter had provided him with the means to become the champion of the era.

I think Azinger has him summed up best, a complete asshole who has morphed into a lovable bloke on the telley.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back