News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Vespucci's mongrels vs. the Imaginary Alliance
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
Despite my better judgement, I find myself strangely attracted to this - yet another - unnecessary golf competition.

I HATE professional golf, golfers and all the keerap that surrounds it/them. I really can't be bothered. I don't want to know what they think about anything. I couldn't care less whether they are Christians, Atheists or freekin' Aliens.

However, okay, I admit it. I love the Ryder Cup. Something about it speaks to my old golf soul. It touches my love for history. It re-inforces the gorgeousness of MATCH play.

It is embarassingly cringe-worthy in all it's pathetic WAGness and false bonhomie. But, I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Fundamental dichotomies, eh? Damn them!

Europe by about 4.

;D
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

Re: Vespucci's mongrels vs. the Imaginary Alliance
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »
From on fatboy to another...I love the way you think and I'm totally with you.  It means absolutly nothing, yet means everything at the same time.

Here is the morning 4 somes schedule:

8:05 a.m. ET: Phil Mickelson/Anthony Kim (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington/Robert Karlsson (Europe)
• 8:20 a.m. ET: Justin Leonard/Hunter Mahan (USA) vs. Henrik Stenson/Paul Casey (Europe)
• 8:35 a.m. ET: Stewart Cink/Chad Campbell (USA) vs. Justin Rose/Ian Poulter (Europe)
• 8:50 a.m. ET: Kenny Perry/Jim Furyk (USA) vs. Lee Westwood/Sergio Garcia (Europe)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
Kalen,
let's golf/imbibe together at the soonest possible opportunity! (Laphroaig Quarter Cask is my current tipple of choice!)

The UK commentators (inc. one Butch Harmon - eedjit) have gone for 2-2 for the morning. I'm thinking 3-1 Europe, but I have been known to be over-ebullient on occasion!)

Let battle (gentlemanly and honourably) commence.

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »
I'd love to imbibe and golf soon too...just need to work on that getting to the other side of the pond thing.

I see it Euro 3-1 after the morning matches too.....the US pairings don't look very compelling.  And thier best one is wasted on Sergio and Westwood who will skin em alive.

And if the US is only down 5-3 after day one, thats a whopping success I would say.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »
A little surprised to see both Curtis and Stricker left off the foursome match-ups. Curtis in particular is the kind of steady, hits-greens and hits-fairways player that I thought might suit foursomes play. Stricker's a guy comfortable making a bunch of 5-10 footers for par, which often happens in foursomes.

Martin -- the Ryder Cup is great theater, and usually good golf. I anxiously await the start tomorrow.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »
4-0 Europe in the foursomes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »
I will give you a prediction.  If Casey takes 3 points Europe wins.  If he takes less than 2 Europe loses.  I haven't decided about the middle ground yet.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:32:13 PM »
Well we all got that wrong!

US 3 Imaginary Alliance 1
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »
Garland:

US should be 3-1/2 to 1/2, save for Perry's collapse. Could've been 4-0 if Kim hits a routine bunker shot on 18.

US will rue those lost points.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »

Nice call.  ::) ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 03:15:42 PM »

What can I say since the US rocks at foursomes!

"It's the first time an American Ryder Cup team has led after the Friday morning session since the 1991 Cup at Kiawah Island..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »

What can I say since the US rocks at foursomes!

"It's the first time an American Ryder Cup team has led after the Friday morning session since the 1991 Cup at Kiawah Island..."

"Past results are not necessarily an indicator of future performance."  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back