News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Mementos from Golf History
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
To what items from the history of golf, architectural or otherwise, would you most want daily access or personal possession? 

Come up with a list of four or five items, and tell us why they mean something to you.

And for those of you who already might own a few of these mementos, please share a story or two about them.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:25:58 PM by JMorgan »

TX Golf

Re: Mementos from Golf History
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:27:02 PM »
A tee time on The Old Course and Tiger's bank account.

On a more serious note. The ability to sit down and chat with some of the all time greats about there experiences and opinions on the history of golf!!!

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:40 PM »
The libraries of the USGA & Augusta National.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »
For starters, I'd like a folder of Harry Colt's notes and sketches for Eden-inspired holes.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:26:06 PM »
Dr Mackenzie's personal diary and doodles for me!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
The sign from the first tee of Bethpage Black... and I have it!

They replace it every 3 to 4 years because it gets badly weather-beaten and for the 2002 Open they made several new ones, all of which were displayed on the course or in the clubhouse. They stunned me with a gift of one.

Believe me, evryone who walks into my living room and turns stop in their tracks with the big red letters... "Warning..."

My wife loves it as well... or so she says.  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »
I've got Tommy Armour's own 3 and 4 woods and his own putter. I think he basically willed them to my Dad. My only regret is I took the thin, shiny leather grip off the putter years ago and used it for about ten years.

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13:49 AM »
I would like access to the original plans of the Golden Age courses.

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
One of the goals of the USGA Golf Architecture Archive and Research Center is to be a repository of drawing collections of certain architects and make digital versions of course designs available to anyone.

I have the complete Flynn collection digitized and available at the touch of a button.  The Flynn collection (hopefully the entire collection of originals) and the digital versions will be donated to the USGA.

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »
Wayne, that's great. Thanks for keeping up with the plans. Althought I couldn't contribute that much, I was on the USGA committee for the Archive and Research Center.

I have one of Arnold Palmer's trophies from Wake Forest College. It's engraved "Most Outstanding Golfer, 1950, Arnold Palmer, Wake Forest College." My dad, Johnny Johnston, was the golf coach at that time. Arnold gave the trophy to my dad. I believe Arnold was depressed over the death of his best friend Buddy Worsham. Worsham died in a car crash in the fall of 1950. After that happened the trophy did not mean much to Arnold. I plan to donate it either to the USGA or Wake Forest University, depending on who would be more likely to take care of it.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
One of my more treasured items is a photo of my father Brian Crafter shaking hands with Jack Nicklaus after their round in the 1965 Australian Open at Kooyonga GC here in Adelaide. I sent a copy to Tom Doak and Tom kindly arranged for Jack to sign it for me with a nice inscription and he sent it back. Very nice memory of my father who passed away in '94.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »
I have an old card of a round I played at Woods Hole with my father when I was 13.  First time I broke 90 on a decent course and the first time I met a hooker, courtesy of my Uncle Ben who had brought the charming lady into the clubhouse.

I wouldn't trade that card for 1000 Jack Nicklaus signatures or any lost manuscript from any old dead guy, unless his name was Jesus and he was confessing as to when and why everything he believed in went horribly pear-shaped.....

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
My favorite item in my collection is all 14 issues of Sports Illustrated that Arnold Palmer appeared on the cover of, each signed by him. I also have the first issue that he ever appeared in (Volume 1, Issue 4 from 1954, winning the US Am) signed by him. I got the idea to accumulate them when I was visiting in Latrobe and Doc Giffin indicated that they only had 13 of 14 framed on the wall.

I've also got the first issue that Jack appeared in (Faces in the Crowd section when he was 16), but that's not as important to me.

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
My dad was president of Kasumigaseki Country Club in the mid 60's.  Nickluas, Palmer and Player played an exhibition there before filming "The Big Three" match at Hirono.  I have the scorecard from that day which all three signed which is a neat momento because it has my dads handwriting as well.

I would like to get my hands on the "The Big Three" videos and especially that match. 

I would also like to have more aerial photos of old courses than I do, although I have collected alot.

Somehow I came to possess Curtis Strange's Ryder Cup umbrella.  Not sure how or where.

Lester

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »
It’s only one but a modern memento from Frank Casey Jr – the 18th Fairway with the Bronze of Old Tom at Rosapenna.

Love the photo, it is now on my desktop and gives me great joy just to look at the photo – just one of the reason why I enjoy golf.

A beautiful calming picture which is just enticing you to play.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »
My favorite item in my collection is all 14 issues of Sports Illustrated that Arnold Palmer appeared on the cover of, each signed by him. I also have the first issue that he ever appeared in (Volume 1, Issue 4 from 1954, winning the US Am) signed by him. I got the idea to accumulate them when I was visiting in Latrobe and Doc Giffin indicated that they only had 13 of 14 framed on the wall.

I've also got the first issue that Jack appeared in (Faces in the Crowd section when he was 16), but that's not as important to me.

Doug

I'll trade you your Nicklaus FITC issue for a Goodale FITC issue, straight up.  Mine has Frank Howard on the cover......

Rich

Dan Boerger

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06:33 AM »
My oldest brother served in the army with Tom Weiskopf. He gave my brother a set of top flight aluminum (!) irons ... which all of us other brothers (there were 4) banged around with for years. I think my youngest brother still has them.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »

Doug

I'll trade you your Nicklaus FITC issue for a Goodale FITC issue, straight up.  Mine has Frank Howard on the cover......

Rich

Rich:

Is that issue signed by Goodale? I've been looking for that one on eBay for quite a while to round out my collection. I might even throw in the Moe Norman signed Golf Digest    ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
I have the recipe for bread pudding handwritten by a waiter for me in the R & A clubhouse's dining room.

I also have the insurance policy funded by my green fee at North Berwick's West Links. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back