News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

The Valley Club on a gorgeous autumn/fall day
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »

No better sight to awake to and no better town to do it in. Santa Barbara is just one of those places.

A hint as to whether I am about to make the correct turn off East Valley Road.

I think it was Chip Gaskins who posted a pic of this sign once, and ever since I have dreamed of laying my own eyes upon it.

I arrived so early it seemed there was no one around other than me and the crew getting the course prepared.

Can you think of a place you'd rather stand and hit balls?

Gazing back up the 1st hole.

My grandparents had this cute little Silky Terrier when I was a kid. A tiny little hairy thing that just looked so gorgeous and harmless, but as soon as you bent down to pat him, he'd try to take your hand off.

For some reason I was reminded of that dog after putting off the green from five feet above the hole on the 2nd at the Valley Club, just moments after thinking "this course looks pretty sedate, might be a nice relaxing stroll today..."

When my playing partners, who've been members since the 1980s, followed suit, I remembered that even after he'd got to know you, that old dog occasionally had a nip at you. You know you're in trouble when 25-year members look at you after de-greening a putt and say "I've never seen this pin position before!". The 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 13th, 15th and 18th greens also had plenty of venom if you were above the hole to the pins we had.

Looking back along the 4th to the 3rd green - a sea of short grass to warm the cockles of the heart!

The San Ysidro Mountains loom over the course. With the sea on the other side (though only visible a couple of times), I can't think of two more beautiful features to spend the day. This is the 5th green.

The green for the short par four 6th, on which perennial club champion John Pate (Steve's brother), Fred Couples, Dr Bob Rotella and two others, playing in a five-ball, recorded an ace, an eagle and three birdies - five players playing a par four in a total of 12 strokes!

The par three 8th, benched beautifully into the hill.

The third par three is the 11th, downhill to a beatutiful green from the same hill upon which the 4th and 8th tees are located. It's a great feature of the routing and a great triumph that none of the holes are reminiscnent of the other two. Look at all that short grass, with the kick zone to the left to help you on the green.

The 12th green flows off the hill gently and is one of the few greens at The Valley Club that look more fearsome than they are. For the most part the main bite of the greens is in just how subtle the slopes are, but the ball just keeps rolling.

Unfortunately the 14th was out of play, robbing me of the chance to make 2 on all four par threes. Still an amazing view though!

The 15th green at the foot of the clubhouse.

The 16th green.

The 18th was one of my favourite holes on the course, and far from a gentle closing hole. I hit driver/5i. For a shortish course, the likes of 3, 5, 16 and 18 have some length to them, but for the most par the challenge is in approaching the greens and placing your ball correctly in relation to the pin.

I have never before seen an eat-in locker room!

Inside there is the card from Freddie's course record 59 - he opened with eight consecutive 3s and all told had 13 3s and five 4s!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:10:28 PM by Scott Warren »

George Pazin

Re: The Valley Club on a gorgeous autumn/fall day
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Geez, even I break 59 routinely...though I suppose maybe the course record is for 18 holes.

Thanks for the pics, Scott, your journey consistently puts a smile on my face. Keep having fun.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
Fantastic photos!!!  One very special place, just outstanding in all aspects!!! I am sure you are enjoying your journey tremendously. So glad you are enjoying some very special places!!!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »
Scott

The Valley Club has such a great low key atmosphere which I love and your pics do it justice. It's a lovely place to get away from it all.

How many Mackenzie courses have you seen now ? how does it compare to others that you've seen ?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »
Geez, even I break 59 routinely...though I suppose maybe the course record is for 18 holes.

Fred Couples shot 59 here about 4 years ago.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »
Three threads on the first couple of pages about LACC, Riviera and Valley Club.  If you care about weather (as I do), don't these have to be three of the top five or so clubs in the US? 

Jim Eder

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
Great point Carl!!  Even without the weather they are up there imo.  I wonder if LACC will be a top 10 in the country after this............

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
Scott-After reading each of your threads about your trip to the states I am wondering if you didn`t have to make some sort of pact with the devil himself? ;)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
Site of the 2012 Kings Putter? ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
Is the 11th near the top of anyone's list of best par 3s? That is quite a picture...

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
Matthew, I did a write up on the course last year in this link and it shows the 11th in late afternoon lighting. It is quite a great looking hole, as is all of Valley Club.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38925.0/
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
Site of the 2012 Kings Putter? ::)

Spalding,

Put me on the SoCal team!

Drove in there the same time of day  as Scott in the early AM (did not play) during a family trip. I had no idea it was that spectacular. October in Central and Northern California is spectacular and I still need to meet Scott's wife!

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »
Old Memorial, a club started by a founder of Outback Steak House, also has a locker room where you eat.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
As do Ocean Forest, Sea Island (at the Lodge), and Cassique.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »
I had to cancel my tee time there a few years ago.  I am dying to get back there and play.  This is one of those courses I just don't want to miss.  Thanks for the pics.  The place looks nothing short of brilliant.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 03:22:36 AM »
The 18th was one of my favourite holes on the course, and far from a gentle closing hole. I hit driver/5i. For a shortish course, the likes of 3, 5, 16 and 18 have some length to them, but for the most par the challenge is in approaching the greens and placing your ball correctly in relation to the pin.

Scott,

Awesome stuff! With the other places you were playing I had forgotten any mention of The Valley Club, it looks beautiful!

Your comment above reminded me of Cavendish just up the road from me. Another MacKenzie course that is short in overall length, but has enough stern long 4s that it doesn't feel that way.

Your back home by now right? I hope you guys had an awesome time?

Scott-After reading each of your threads about your trip to the states I am wondering if you didn`t have to make some sort of pact with the devil himself? ;)

Tim,

No pact with the devil for Scott I suspect, just with his wonderful new bride!  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
Cheers James. Almost back home. Monterey to San Fran today, three nights there then back to Sydney and back to reality!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back