News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

Paging Mike Nuzzo
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
tried to call, can't get thru. please ring me up or send an e-mail...thx, Don

Bill_McBride

Re: Paging Mike Nuzzo
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »
Hope you guys are okay over there, Don.  Ike was a major hurricane, Houston will be recovering for a long time.

My son evacuated from his home in Clear Lake to Tomball, safe there with the power on.  The wind tore a hole in the upper wall of his house in Clear Lake but at least it didn't flood there.

I got through on his cell this morning and he said, "I am living a nightmare."  I hope it all settles down soon.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
On a good note I had as much fun golfing as I have had in years with 60 to 70 mph gusts in Southern Indiana.  A  dead solid 5 club wind.  One guy hit a wedge that caught the wind and flew back over his head. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:59:31 PM by John Kavanaugh »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:13:44 AM »
I was trying to estimate if the Port Lavaca and the golf course area was hit bad.  If you are posting Don, you must have power.  It seems you may have been on the low side of the eye, sort of like me missing my putt on the low side.  I hope the guys are OK in Houston.  But, how would Mike even see this, if the power and cable or phone lines are out? 

It seems ya'll are going to need a bigger landfill...  :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:08 AM »
RJ,
The storm missed us here as we were on the "clean" side. It pruned my trees and rained a couple of inches...we were lucky.
Mike has a blackberry, and many friends and family in the area...I'm hoping he or someone who has talked to him sees this.
I know he was staying home to ride it out. The eye passed within a few miles of his home.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:06 AM »
Don, now you have me worried a bit about Mike...I was surprised at the damage in Houston.  I am also surprised that he tried to ride it out, but there have been so many overly dire estimates of hurricane damage I can see how people get callous.

He is probably more interested in cleaning up than posting on golf club atlas. Or maybe he is out at Wolf Point cleaning out the catch basins so the course will drain!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Mike is fine, trees down, flooded garage, no power, eventful Friday night, but he and family are safe...typical of most folks in Houston right now.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »
Mike is fine, trees down, flooded garage, no power, eventful Friday night, but he and family are safe...typical of most folks in Houston right now.

Good news, Don. Thanks for the update!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Paul_Daley

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
Haff: Thanks for the comforting news that Mike and his family are okay and still standing on the right side of the weeds. Nuz will have heaps of "fodder" for upcoming episodes of his blog.   

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »
 8) 

MIke, we have a safe haven if needed..

I recommend everyone spend 90 hours without electricity.. and fill up one tank of gasoline in your car..  consider no outside support is available for 75-100 miles..  oh, and a million others are in the same area.. what would you do?  Go play golf?

The watch words of a favorite weatherman down here are: "run from the water, hide from the wind."  Folks not near or on the coastal waters were told to shelter in place, which is a crap shoot..  especially with a lot of trees around here, in the end, they either protect you or harm you from the wind effects.. then they take out the power

biggest issue is your sense of survival vs. other responsibilites.. and sense of community.  Do you share your ice?  Help clear a yard?  Go to work?

A lot of dead wood is now being cleared out ..  physically and mentally

p.s.  play  in The Woodlands should be back in action Thurs or Fri
p.s.s.  has anyone out there ever wired a generator transfer switch or operated a gas powered generator ?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:02:34 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 10:07:39 PM »
8) 

MIke, we have a safe haven if needed..

I recommend everyone spend 90 hours without electricity.. and fill up one tank of gasoline in your car..  consider no outside support is available for 75-100 miles..  amillion others are in the same area.. what would you do?  Go play golf?

The watch words of a favorite weatherman down here are: "run from the water, hide from the wind."  Folks not near or on the coastal waters were told to shelter in place, which is a crap shoot..  especially with a lot of trees around here, in the end, they either protect you or harm you from the wind effects.. then they take out the power

biggest issue is your sense of survival vs. other responsibilites.. and sense of community.  Do you share your ice?  Help clear a yard?  Go to work?

A lot of dead wood is now being cleared out ..  physically and mentally

p.s.  play  in The Woodlands should be back in action Thurs or Fri
p.s.s.  has anyone out there ever wired a generator transfer switch or operated a gas powered generator ?

Play golf is exactly what I did today.  I was able to get in 18 at Cypress Lakes.  Good to hear that you'll be playing soon in the Woodlands.  After a quick drive by of my club today it doesn't look like anyone will be on the tee anytime soon.

Steve, Jeff, Raymond, Mike, etc.  I hope you and yours are making it through...

Best wishes to all of you.

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »
 8)  Kyle, wait till you own a house!   

Glad you're ok..  thought they'd have you out of the office in the gulf raising rigs!!

Want to come up to the WCC this weekend?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »
8)  Kyle, wait till you own a house!   

Glad you're ok..  thought they'd have you out of the office in the gulf raising rigs!!

Want to come up to the WCC this weekend?

We moved into a house a few weeks back...the damage wasn't too bad in our neighborhood.  It does look like we got some more business last weekend.

I'm re-evacuating to Illinois tomorrow, but I'll take you up on the golf sometime soon when I get back.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:28:42 PM »
It is amazing that with all the Wall Street crisis news, this huge and devastating storm event is almost pushed right out of the rest of the American consciousness.  I hope all you folks can find a way back to relative normality soon.  At least it wasn't a big killer storm in terms of loss of life as bad as it could have been, like Katrina. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
Glad to hear that everybody seems to be ok.

As luck would have it, I was out of town for work the last week and a half. Here's hoping we can all tee it up when things get closer to normal around here. 
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 09:23:35 AM »
Thanks fellas.
No power yet.
We've been reading a lot more at night and telling stories...
I have a few drainage stories for when I do.
One at the course and one in my neighborhood...
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
I have to ask...with no power, how are you posting here?  Gotta love your dedication, though!

In all our discussions over the years about drainage, do you think you will up your drainage pipe sizing criteria a bit now as a basis of seeing just how much water can fall in Houston?  Seriously, your mentors always used 1/4" per hour (they may have raised that since then) I use 1/2" per hour.  But the combo of heavy flooding in near summer heat (this would have been worse for turf in August, when turf could die within a few days) always makes me want to upsize pipe and catch basins to drain stuff quicker.

I mean, if you have 20,000 LF of pipe and it all goes up 2" in diameter to the next size, its probably only $60K to the budget.  Doesn't sound like a lot over a $4M project.

Sorry for the shameless atempt to make this more on topic!  Good to hear you are well, Mike.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 09:34:15 AM »
Baxter used 1/2" as long as I knew him.

One of the stories is about how well Wolf Point drained -- so I'm not so sure  I'd change for mathmatical reasons.

Seeing a 4" in pipe get laid in a trench sure does look inefficient, especially when building it in house - that is what I would change.

And who builds courses for $4MM anyway?  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 09:39:19 AM »
Mike, glad to hear all is well even if hot and dark at night!  I remember the aftermath of Ivan - two weeks no power.  The next summer I invested in a natural gas-fired generator, never been used but that's okay.

I do remember with some fondness the neighborhood get togethers to eat up all the food that was in the freezers that didn't work!

Hang in there, power will return.  ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 09:41:25 AM »
Mike,

I have their original report as part of the NGF study for Lake Jackson. Back then, they used 1/4" but I think they raised it a bit after the Olympia Hills project near SA.   1/2" per hour could still theoretically drain a 12" storm within a day, with some temporary ponding, which is above 100 year storm level even in Houston.

At our recent grand re-opening up in Wichita Falls, we got rained out with 3" of quick rain.  While it cancelled the event, they could have been out playing a few hours after the rain, using similar criteria.

If you think 4" tile looks inefficient, I wonder about that new Sandtrapper system, where they propose to drain bunkers with 2" pipe and a siphon system!

Again, with no power, where are you posting from? Your Blackberry?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back