News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Turbo boosts
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »
Yale has a nice "turbo boost" on the14th hole.

It would seem that "turbo boosts" were found naturally.

When and who first "constructed" turbo boosts ?

Which architects routinely incorporated them into their designs, naturally, and more importantly, constructed them ?

I know Bob Von Hagge constructed one on the 18th hole at Boca Rio circa 1967.

Was this an original feature with him, or did Dick Wilson incorporate them in his designs ?

What are some of the best NATURAL and CONSTRUCTED turbo boosts ?

Jed Peters

Re: Turbo boosts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
Great topic.

This is one of the reasons I love my home course, Kyle Phillips' Morgan Creek Golf and Country Club.

Every tee shot is risk reward--I.E. the closer you hit it to the trouble/hazards--the more "boost" you get in the fairway with undulations, bumps, and rolls.

Conversely, when one takes the "safe" route aiming away from the trouble, Phillips put slight upslopes that serve two purposes--1. to efffectively "punish" the better player from playing the "safe" line by a loss of 1-2 clubs that come from the lack of roll, and 2. the upslopes (or "backboards" on some holes) serve to keep balls in the playable areas--which is better for the higher handicapper.

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »
Pat -

I am not sure if we are to infer a logical correspondence between your first two statements, but I will say that the fourteenth hole at Yale is one of the least natural golf holes ever constructed.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
Great and completely natural turbo boosts I know about:

Dornoch:  4, 7, 9, 14

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
Pat -

I am not sure if we are to infer a logical correspondence between your first two statements,

They're two seperate statements, that's why they appear in different paragraphs.

but I will say that the fourteenth hole at Yale is one of the least natural golf holes ever constructed.

You could say that.
In fact, you did say that.

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
They're two seperate statements, that's why they appear in different paragraphs.

If you expect me to believe this, then at least start keeping your pronouns and antecedents together in the same paragraph.

There's no shame in thinking that the gorgeous fourteenth hole at Yale is au naturel - it is a common misperception which reflects very well on the architect and engineers.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jim Johnson

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
Pat,
Rod Whitman and Jeff Mingay have built a nice "turbo boost" into the middle of the fairway on the par five 7th hole at Blackhawk, near Edmonton, Alberta.
Come to think of it, I guess they didn't really "build" it, it looks pretty natural to me.
Perhaps Jeff or Duane Sharpe can chime in.

JJ

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

Sorry, Pat. Couldn't help myself! ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:39:01 PM »
Patrick:

You do realize don't you, that every time you use that term "turbo boost" in describing a golf course you must pay me a royalty? I invented that term and it's Service Marked. I'll let you off the hook up until now but hereinafter don't you be using that term without paying me a royalty.

And if you try to use the opposite of the "Turbo Boost" which is my "Anti-turbo Boost" (a fairway upslope that kills the ball) which is also Service Marked, well then, my lawyer will be calling your lawyer and you will be in deep CaCa!

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »
Patrick:

And now I will inform your "Dumb-Headness" what the world's greatest COMBINED "Turbo Boost/Anti-turbo Boost" golf hole is.

It is Pine Valley's #11.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
Ross has one on the opener at Northland CC in Duluth MN.  If you play down the left side and flirt with the big tree, the ball runs out for a reasonable short iron in.  If you get ahead of it and leave it right, you suffer a longer iron over a fronting bunker. 
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
Rolling Green has two that I can think of: 5 and 18.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Dean Stokes

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »
18th Kings course @ Gleneagles. I think it has two turbo boosts!!!!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
What a coincidence, we are working on a turbo boost shoot today. Its on a par 5 at 200 - 235 from the tee. 4th hole of "The Stranahan"
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

archie_struthers

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Put one in at eighteen at Twisted Dune to help and on #2 and 5 to hurt !

Funny TEP but the 11th at PV might not be as good as the 4th ....only you could hit it on the left center of 11 and get the good bounce ...anythng right of center puts you into the hill and gives a blind shot from the rough...

actually it used to be gorse (gronkel)....those wer the days !!!!  lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:12:11 AM by archie_struthers »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
Sand Hills #16 immediately comes to mind
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

BVince

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
10th at ANGC
16th at Firestone
2nd at Pasatiempo

Those are just a few that come to mind
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Deucie Bies

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
6th at Cypress

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
14 at Prairie Dunes.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
Sorry, I thought that this was about Darryl Boe, I misread it as "Turbo Posts."  Is Turboe still around?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »
This is a great feature. I am not sure i am long enugh to reach them anymore.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
Thomas constructed "governors" at Riviera. If you could carry your drive properly, your ball would land on the far side of the governor and receive a healthy boost.

The 5th hole (most notably) at Lakota Canyon features a couple of splendid (natural?) turbo boost opportunities.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Gene Greco

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »
    Patrick:

What a coincidence! :D

The first hole which came to mind after 10 at Augusta was the GREAT 612 yard par 5 16th at Sand Hills Golf Club.

Could a hole YOU panned despite protests from those on this website more informed than you not only have a turbo boost REWARD off the tee for the bold amongst us, but ALSO a diagonal spline which PUNISHES the weaker tee ball and separates safe/average from certain doom???

AND BOTH THESE FEATURES ARE ALL NATURAL.

I don't know of another golf hole on the PLANET which after four golfers hit their tee balls at least 225 yards IN THE FAIRWAY could and does leave players MORE THAN 200 YARDS APART!

But again, more great features of a great hole gone unnoticed as you raced by it all in your golf cart. :-\
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:15:00 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

David Stamm

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »

2nd at Pasatiempo

Great call, Bryon. One of my favorites individual features I think I've ever played.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 07:50:39 AM »
Would any carry that resulted in a down hill roll out be considered a "Turbo boost"? or are there other features incorporated into it? and is this only on drives or would a open close cut front apron to a down hill green on a par 5 be thought of as a "turbo Boost" for a players second shot?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back