News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Best public courses to play in Pittsburgh?
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
"Cranberry Highlands is a good newer addition to the area.  I played the Palmer course at Oglebay, I wish I had gotten in the RTJ course there also.  I'd agree Tom's Run is worth a drive out there as well as the Links at Spring Church."

All excellent choices. I live on Long Island but still have season tickets for Pitt and come in for most of the games. I'll be playing Cranberry next week in addition to Birdsfoot. Deer Run (also a good choice) was sold last year and the owners decided to change the name. BTW as a Pitt grad the first place I stop in town is the Big 'O'.

Wow, a diehard Pitt fan, never thought I'd see the day... :) I'll be at the Pitt/Iowa game next weekend if you feel like grabbing a beer.

Mike, they actually changed the name of Schenley Park, renaming it after the late mayor who preceded the little kid - it's now the Bob O'Connor Golf Course at Schenley Park.

Steve Shaffer, I'd rip you for passing up a Primanti's, but you suitably punished yourself by missing out. :) You left out the tomato, btw.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jay Flemma

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 01:56:37 PM »
I'd skip birdspit altogether.  There are some downright UGLY golf holes out there...that hideous crater par-3...in fact all the par-3s are weak and that hole that wraps around early in the round (2?) is just awful.

in th plus column, its cheap (cheep?)

Going to have to disagree on Bridsfoot, you may not like the crater par 3 hole (Hole #17); however, I enjoyed this hole as well as the par three 9th finisher on the front 9.  It is a solid long par 3 that requires a carry over a revine.  As for the 17th hole, the green is set at an angle and slightly downhill and was a fun shot.  As for whether one prefers the craters or not . . to each their own.
As for it being cheap or not, I believe it is between $60 and $39 dollars depending on when you play it.

George,

You are welcome on Alcoma, it was a lot of fun to play - some wild holes out there.  Several of the holes on the back 9 were tinkered with by Ferdidnand Garbin and James Harrison.

Chris

Fair enough, Chris, to each his own.  That being said, I call the craters the "bird droppings."

George, as for "birdspit," I'm reminded of one of my favorite moments in spinal tap..."The review you had on shark sandwich was just a two word review..."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »
This is a pretty good article on early Pittsburgh golf for anyone interested;

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1926/gi253o.pdf

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »
For those who might turn down their nose at Schenley Park, you fellows might throw this at them...

Schenley was the Original Pittsburgh Golf Club, and for years the professional was US Open Champion Jock Hutchinson.

Also, for years the course record was held by none other than W.C. Fownes.

Not bad for a scruffy little muni. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
How many other people get a surreal laugh out of "Pittsburgh national" as a title?

But GO STEELERS!

...and get rid of that godawful mascot! :o

astavrides

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
For those who might turn down their nose at Schenley Park, you fellows might throw this at them...

Schenley was the Original Pittsburgh Golf Club, and for years the professional was US Open Champion Jock Hutchinson.

Also, for years the course record was held by none other than W.C. Fownes.

Not bad for a scruffy little muni. 

Thanks for the trivia and the link.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
I'd skip birdspit altogether.  There are some downright UGLY golf holes out there...that hideous crater par-3...in fact all the par-3s are weak and that hole that wraps around early in the round (2?) is just awful.

in th plus column, its cheap (cheep?)

Going to have to disagree on Bridsfoot, you may not like the crater par 3 hole (Hole #17); however, I enjoyed this hole as well as the par three 9th finisher on the front 9.  It is a solid long par 3 that requires a carry over a revine.  As for the 17th hole, the green is set at an angle and slightly downhill and was a fun shot.  As for whether one prefers the craters or not . . to each their own.
As for it being cheap or not, I believe it is between $60 and $39 dollars depending on when you play it.

George,

You are welcome on Alcoma, it was a lot of fun to play - some wild holes out there.  Several of the holes on the back 9 were tinkered with by Ferdidnand Garbin and James Harrison.

Chris

Fair enough, Chris, to each his own.  That being said, I call the craters the "bird droppings."

George, as for "birdspit," I'm reminded of one of my favorite moments in spinal tap..."The review you had on shark sandwich was just a two word review..."

Jay,

After I posted my original response, I remembered the 11th hole I believe (I started on the back 9), I thought this was a prety good par three slightly uphill with a hole almost completely surrounded by one bunker.  Actually reminded me of golden age par 3's - something Emmet or Raynor might have created for a short hole.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back