News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Go for the food and tolerate the golf.
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:42 PM »
I just was asked 'All done with your steak?' crazy want to get off work twat, hell no.  I'm sorry if some mandigo stud is waiting in thw wings I didn't come to this hell forsaken town for the golf.  I wan't to finish my second shrimp cocktail appetizer with dinner before I am forced to play some run of the mill Dye course with some stone salesman tomorrow.  Nominate your town where the food is better than the arcitecture.  For me, it is a shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's in Indianapolis and a Maker's and diet or three..

Chip Gaskins

Re: Go for the food and tolerate the golf.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
Vegas

Dallas

Memphis

Miami

New Orleans

Myrtle Beach (that might be a stretch) ;D

Gerry B

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:02 PM »
in the usa has to be new orleans - undisputed champion - all world food and mediocre golf
asia - tokyo
europe - rome  / nice  / barcelona

good call on st elmo's

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:39 PM »
Nominate your town where the food is better than the arcitecture. 

Barcelona.

Oh wait, no, you mean golf architecture, right?

In that case - never mind... ;)

Gene Greco

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »
                                                Dallas, Texas

There is no golf architecture in that city which can begin to rival the gastronomic offerings at places like The Mansion on Turtle Creek, any of Dean Fearing's dining establishments and a host of other fine dining establishments.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:08:45 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »
From a structural architectur e viewpoint it makes me embarrassed to be an American sitting in the shadows of the George Lucas Oil field when compared to the Bird's Nest.  What a chinless venue Indiana has built.

TX Golf

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »
Very true Gene... that brunch buffet at the Mansion is something to behold. The only city I have come across with better food than Dallas (in the US) would have to be San Fran.... but in nor cal there isn't exactly a lack of great architecture.

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 04:10:11 AM »
Seattle rates pretty high on this list.

Other than Chambers Bay (which is in Tacoma), there is no other world class golf course (sit yourself back down, Sahalee).

On the other hand, Seattle with its Pacific Ocean nearby (with fresh wild seafood coming in daily from Alaska and abundance of delectable shell fish from Puget Sound), is abundant with world-class cuisine.

If Michelin ever reviewed Herbfarm, it may rate at least a 2 star, if not 3 and is comparable to French Laundry and Le Bernadine. On top of that, Seattle has some of the best Japanese, Thai, and Cantonese restaurants in US. Add to that mix, are some of the most inventive restaurants in the country run by rock star chefs like Tom Douglass, Thierry Rautureau, and Jerry Traunfeld (and many others with James Beard awards).

Seattle is best enjoyed with your stomach.

Scott Sander

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 04:19:02 AM »
Mr. Kavanaugh -

You are off your rocker, good sir.  The second dose of horseradish has clearly gotten to you.

St. Elmo is, indeed, a Top 100 You Can Play... but that's about it here for locally-based memorable dining.  
Everything else of note is an import (Hence the restaurant sineage that says the name of the chain followed by "...of Chicago" "...of New York" "...of Dubuque") or derivative of something somewhere else does better.  Heck, even Iowa does Indiana's beloved breaded tenderloins better - they just don't brag about it.

Locally-produced architecture, on the other hand, is alive and well with  Messrs Dye, Liddy, Kern, etc.  Run-of-the-mill?  Bah!    OK, maybe a little at times, but still...

And the Birds Nest vs. the Lubridome?  Surely you jest.  The workers who built the moonroofed warehouse at least got weekends off and can freeley chose whom to scorn on election day.  

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »
Anywhere in Spain.....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
Is this thread On Topic?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
Scott,

I agree with you to a degree about the eateries.  There are some local establishments though that offer some pretty good stuff.  You just have to look for them.  Iarias is one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever been to.  But there are a lot of chains as well.

I agree with you on the golf architecture as well.  There is a lot of good stuff, but it is mostly Dye and there is some repitition in his work.  The Fort is a good deal, especially compared to the over the top prices at the Brickyard.  John might want to play some place more low key such as a Maple Creek or go up to the Golf Club in Zionsville.

As for Lucas Oil Stadium.  I agree with John.  They basically took the model of Conseco Fieldhouse and blew it up to outrageous proportions and sanitized it for public consumption.  Aside from the view of downtown you get from the big window, there is no atmosphere there.  The Colts lost one of the best home field advantages in the league with their new homogenized stadium.  By the way, the seating layout works for basketball arenas, but for football not so much.  The game I went to we were 20 rows up, but I might as well have been up in the top deck.  I would have seen much more of the game. 

Oh, my nomination for this thread... Louisville.

Scott Sander

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:46:35 AM »
Scott,

...There are some local establishments though that offer some pretty good stuff...

...Golf Club in Zionsville...

...As for Lucas Oil Stadium.  I agree with John... 

Oh, my nomination for this thread... Louisville.

1)I just wish there were more like Iaria's in Center Township/downtown.  There's a lot good out in the county (just ate at Oakley's, up north- wow), but the city part of the city sure is dullsville.

2)GCofI?  Really?!  With due respect and appreciation to its history as the one of the few good public options in town for about 20 years until the early 90's, I now avoid it completely.  18 holes each with an identical set of shoulder bunkers? I believe I fell asleep in the middle of a swing there once. 

3)I'll concede the bird's nest is stunning and LOS is not.  If it's a lousy place to watch a game, too, that's unforgivable.  I'll guess see Saturday when I attend the big 8 hour long Country Music hoedown. ::)  Still, I did not enjoy staring at the Bird's Nest as much as I would have liked - each one of those steel ribbons that wrapped the stadium just looked (to me) like perfect symbols of human bondage.

4)I turned down a job once in Louisville.  Looking back on it honestly, I think the lousy-but-locally-ballyhooed course I played down there may have mentally spoiled the deal for me.   Food sure was good though. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:09:33 AM by Scott Sander »

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »
Boston?

Other than TCC...there isn't a whole lot rocking there. But the seafood is better nowhere else.
H.P.S.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »
Boston?

Other than TCC...there isn't a whole lot rocking there. But the seafood is better nowhere else.

Boston Golf Club is greatly filling and I hear Olde Sandwich is pretty nice for dessert.   

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »
Definitely New Orleans...I'd rather spend 4 hours on lunch at Galatoire's than on any course in town.

tlavin

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 09:28:59 AM »
New Orleans is the clear winner

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
I agree with Boston if we take the privates out of it...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Lester George

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »
John,

Please don't ruin the Makers with diet. 

I agree that New Orleans is the clear winner and I agree with your assessment of Indianapolis.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
I'll third New Orleans.

It's a golfing wasteland and decadent culinary heaven.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »
The striped bass is fantastic in Nawlins.    ;)

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JWinick

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 10:19:30 AM »
Are you out of your mind?  No one would ever consider Dallas to be a culinary capital.   I'm not saying they don't have some good restaurants, but please.

Dallas, Texas

There is no golf architecture in that city which can begin to rival the gastronomic offerings at places like The Mansion on Turtle Creek, any of Dean Fearing's dining establishments and a host of other fine dining establishments.

John Nixon

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »

2)GCofI?   I believe I fell asleep in the middle of a swing there once. 

3) Still, I did not enjoy staring at the Bird's Nest as much as I would have liked - each one of those steel ribbons that wrapped the stadium just looked (to me) like perfect symbols of human bondage.

Zinggg!!!  Well played, laddie... 

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
Scott,

You are probably right about GC of I.  I probably should have said Eagle Creek.  It is different from the other notable Dye courses in Indy because it is indicative of Dye's earlier and simpler approach.

Kelly,

We'll see if the Colts end up being mediocre.  Being a Steelers fan it is hard to deal with all of the Colts fans here in town but I have to give them their due as they have been a model of consistency over the last 9 years since Manning emerged.  

John Nixon

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
Cincinnati? That'd be an easier call to make if The Maisonette were still around, but Skyline Chili may just be the Donald Ross of fast food.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back