News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Crump Cup 9/28
« on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
Just a heads up to the group that the final rounds of the 2008 Crump Cup at Pine Valley will be played on Sunday, 9/28.

If you've never been there, I highly recommend taking this opportunity to wander unrestricted around the amazing and awe-inspiring course.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Crump Cup 9/28
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »
I went last year and will echo Mike's recommendation.  It was a fantastic time and a great way to see the course.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
I know a lot of guys have a "dream" of seeing Augusta.  I went to the Masters in '05, and ANGC is truly an extraordinarily beautiful place.  But I think Pine Valley trumps it.

I've been to 2 Crump Cups and one Philly Open at PV and loved every moment of it. 

Logistics - you park at Clementon Park (a 50's amusement park about 1.5 mles away).  You give the Boy Scouts a few bucks to park and you board a good old yellow school bus for the trip to PV. 

It feels like you've been transported to xanadu.  PV is sensory overload.  It looks great, it sounds great, and it smells great. 

I've never played it, but I consider my visits to PV to be a highlight of my golf "life".   If you're with a day's drive of Philly, you gotta go.  I'll even refund your admission fee* if you don't agree!

* - admission fee is $0.00

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »
I know a lot of guys have a "dream" of seeing Augusta.  I went to the Masters in '05, and ANGC is truly an extraordinarily beautiful place.  But I think Pine Valley trumps it.

I've been to 2 Crump Cups and one Philly Open at PV and loved every moment of it. 

Logistics - you park at Clementon Park (a 50's amusement park about 1.5 mles away).  You give the Boy Scouts a few bucks to park and you board a good old yellow school bus for the trip to PV. 

It feels like you've been transported to xanadu.  PV is sensory overload.  It looks great, it sounds great, and it smells great. 

I've never played it, but I consider my visits to PV to be a highlight of my golf "life".   If you're with a day's drive of Philly, you gotta go.  I'll even refund your admission fee* if you don't agree!

* - admission fee is $0.00

I agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD of your post, Dan (I visited the place twice for the Crump Cup).

I guess that means that we feel the same way about PV.

What an absolutely magical place.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:01:15 PM »
Wow...I might have to drive down from Boston for that!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
Who gets invited and how? What is the format? Is it a serious amateur tournament or more an invitational?

How many people will watch the last day's play?

Thank you.

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

JSlonis

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:20:22 AM »
Who gets invited and how? What is the format? Is it a serious amateur tournament or more an invitational?

Thank you.

Dean,

The field is made up of Mid-Am players from all over the country.  The format is 36 holes stroke play qualifying and then players are seeded into the top 16 for the Championship flight and then 3 other flights of 16 as well.

To answer your 3rd question...I'm not sure of what you mean.  It is both an invitational and a serious amateur tournament. 

I'm not sure of the official count, but I would think there is around 1000-1500 people.  It could be more, but I'd be guessing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:22:42 AM by JSlonis »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »
Dan,

Sounds wonderful, and a must see event.  Do you re-imburse plane tickets from the west coast also?   ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »
Kalen   -  nope, just admission fees.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »

Thank you.

I'm not sure of the official count, but I would think there is around 1000-1500 people.  It could be more, but I'd be guessing.

When I was there, due to the relatively thin crowds, the marshals allowed us to walk within few yards of the players and to stand within 30 feet from them on the fairway when they were making the shot. Yes - we were allowed to watch shots on the PV fairways!

Amazing experience watching these very good players punish the ball at PV.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »
Will that mccoy guy win it again this year?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »
Gents - for those of you who've been there but have not actually played PV, have you ever walked the course sequentially, holes 1-18? If so, what does the routing (for lack of a better word) "feel" like?

Thanks
Peter 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
Peter - Yes, I've walked 1-18, and the routing is as good as the design of the holes.  It's absolutely wonderful!

Matt OBrien

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 01:17:55 PM »
Last year I went and I started out walking with the crowed watching the final match. After the 4th hole I went to 18 and walked the rest of the course backwards and found that to be the best way to do it all by your self. There were a few other matches going on but you had the whole place to yourself and it was awsome.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
 Some year we should have a walking tutorial that day.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »
Matt

That's a wonderful way to do it but I'd recommend doing it forward first for full visual impact.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
Thats very true. The only way to do that is to beat the crowd to 2 and walk 2-18 and come back to 1 on your way out. I would suggest walking it and learning it and then come back to watch the guys play the back 9 because that is awsome as well. The guys in the finals were awsome last year and its great to see them play that amazing course.
After playing it and then walking it backwards wasvery cool. If you have played it before, and your going on the 28th then try walking it backward.
I heard from a member that once a year they play a tournement backwards from greens to tees.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
Matt - you're right about the quality of the golf.  The two shots on the 5th hole were pretty amazing - especially standing 10 feet from the competitors.  Some really great golf out there!

Chris Avore

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
I'm coming up from DC to catch the Phillies-Nats game that Sunday the 28th--do you guys know what time the gates open at PV so maybe I could walk a couple holes before having to make the trip to the ballpark? 

Baseball game is with the in-laws so I can't bail on that (trust me, I know what some of you were already thinking...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »
I'm coming up from DC to catch the Phillies-Nats game that Sunday the 28th--do you guys know what time the gates open at PV so maybe I could walk a couple holes before having to make the trip to the ballpark? 

Baseball game is with the in-laws so I can't bail on that (trust me, I know what some of you were already thinking...)

Chris,

I believe it's around noon.   Is it an afternoon game?

Chris Avore

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
Yep, it's a 1:35 ballgame. I found an old article in Travel & Leisure golf that also mentioned the gates opened "in the afternoon".

Looks like I might be cooked...

I guess next year I can check out Merion during the Walker Cup and then PV a few weeks later...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
Chris,

Yes, that would be very tight.

Your plan for next year sounds right on.  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
Chris,

Screw that...I'd be coming down with some a mystery cough and ailment that morning, Ferris Bueller style!!  ;D

Followed by a raspy morning voice "you guys go on without me!!". 

JSlonis

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 03:19:05 PM »
Will that mccoy guy win it again this year?

It would be hard to bet against him.  He's won 3 out of the last 4 Crump Cup's and the only one he lost was two years ago when the final was played as a foursome of Stroke Play, he lost by one shot.  The morning Semi's were cancelled due to bad weather.  He hasn't lost a match in four years.  Unfortunately, I was on the wrong end of one of those finals.  :'(

Chris,

The gates usually open between 12:30 and 1:00.

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
Jamie:

Do you know if they still have the policy if a competitor does not make match play two years in a row  they are off the invitation list? Back then they only had eighteen holes of qualifying. If you missed one year, to say you felt some added pressure the next year is something of an understatement. I like that they went back to 36 holes of qualifying.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back