News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Erin Hills end of year sale comes early, changes announced.
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »
John, what is a reverse cantor... an upside down soloist at the synagogue?  :P

Does your company grade and pave interesting reverse cambers road curves?  No wonder them Illianna county hwys are so much fun to drive.  :o

The only time I had my feelings hurt on a golf course was when Steve the Marine and I were asked to play with two prim and proper ladies who were on a girls get-away vacation.  They were the epitome of prim and proper, until I hit the mother of all worm burners off the 14th tee, never getting a foot or so off the ground, but speeding up the FW almost 200 yards.  One turns to the other and said, "what the ^%K was that!"   :o ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
Dick,

The only hole either you or Hendren could hit through a fairway would be #9.  Did you get your feelings hurt because of the reverse cantor dogleg?

Barney, I'm not sure I can hit through any dogleg anywhere anymore.  I think the 9th at EH is a very good driving hole with a high reward for a modest risk.  I think the same could be said of the tee shot requirement at the second.

From photographs the site looked better than it really is.  The land alone could not "carry" the course, it needed better architectural detail, more thoughtful fairway lines and more meaningful, strategic bunkering. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2008, 04:11:57 PM »
I think that the only way to really assess these questions about effects of blind areas, driving through the FW to native and blind native, is to be on the site for many days, watching all levels of players go through.  Probably the most well informed and golf knowledgeable caddies working there might have some of the best takes on these questions.  I'd love to hear from several of them as to where (if anywhere) they see the biggest problems in effects of minimalist grading and shaping, excessive contour of greens, blindness and native area placements to playing corridors.  Of course they have to be willing to talk, and not fear loosing their employment positions, if there are repetitive and serious problems.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

jeffwarne

Re: Erin Hills end of year sale comes early, changes announced. New
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »
This golf course was over-hyped and is over-rated in my modest, one-play opinion.   It's a clumsy golf course on a clumsy site. 

Loved the dell hole - that's about it.

Mike

Mike,

The day I played is shown in the above pictures.  It is the last day the course is opened for the year, November in Wisconsin,  notice that the fescue is cut low, the weather is perfect and I was lucky enough to play with some great guys for free that set up our round with a perfect set of tees for maximum enjoyment.  With all that said - I see it as the finest modern course outside Ballyneal I have ever played.

I'm with John on this one.
Amazing to me that on a website that constantly praises naturalness, and lack of earth moving (I'm not going to use the word minimalism because everybody defines that differently and
uses it generically) that there would be so much criticism of such a natural, beautiful, fascinating UNIQUE golf course.

I've played many of the great courses in the US (no Ballyneal or sand Hills yet), and well over a hundred courses in the UK and Ireland, and I'd have to place this as one of my favorites.

I played it friday in a USGA Comittee outing on a dreary, misty, coolish day. (it had rained two inches the day and night before and still played reasonably firm)
I don't typically care for BIG courses and I really wasn't dying to go play there,.....but I simply loved all the different and unusual holes there.

PITY they are going to change the 2nd hole- (and others)
If you drive it to the proper side (I didn't) you have a visible shot-- If you don't you're merely looking at a wedge (you have a hillside/bunker to pick a line out on so it's not really that hard to get your bearings)
I managed to hit the green blind)
the pictures of that hole don't do it justice.

- and last I checked JUDGEMENT and EXECUTION  are golf skills which this hole rewards in spades .
It's a fair point about ballmarks and wear and tear, but the green was in wonderful shape the day I played.
The holdable and puttable surface on #11 at Shinnecock is significantly smaller, but no one would dare question that.( I think #11 at Shinny is also great)

The greens are difficult-they were 12.2 the day I played and after putting a couple off the putting green I was sure this was going to be another stupid, over the top ego trip modern course.
Boy was I wrong.
The greens were actually playable and very interesting,although I would much prefer they play at lower speeds, (no doubt they wanted to "impress" the USGA), I mainly would want to see them slower so that some genius doesn't persuade them to flatten the greens further in the name of "fairness".

Hopefully they won't change 10 green too much (I hit one of the most imaginative, successful and ENJOYABLE chips of my life on that hole by playing away from the hole up the hill to the back of the green to access a middle pin)
 lowering the front of the green would've made my chip more tempting to play conventionally and that's a shame if it sparks LESS imagination.

Not using the 7th hole (the USGA prefers the bye hole instead) is a shame and again denies use of a unique, different hole and replaces it with a drop shot par three-not real unique in golf- (but it does have an interesting green)
Would an unworthy winner be the result if the dell hole were used?

I was quite surprised that a course with such tee variance was a comfortable walk (we played at about a 6800 yard mix)
Sadly, with modern equipment a course thats stated goal is a US Open must have such tee flexibility.(I think Mike Davis would create a great balanced test with such options)
This course reminded me more of Shinnecock (in a good way) than any I've played, and with its modern size, won't need to be bastardized as Shinnecock was for the 2004 Open.

The fairway turf conditions weren't perfect(I prefer that as it adds to the naturalness)-they got a lot of flooding in June but the greens were outstanding.
They also keep the fairways a bit more green than they would like to withstand cart traffic, but they were brown enough-certainly when compared to nearly anywhere else.

Those who feel certain greens won't accept long irons or long shots may simply be playing the wrong tees.
And not every hole has to be an even par(some should be tougher than others to seperate players).
Most importantly, it's a beautiful ,challenging ,unique course that rewards judgement, skill, patience, and imagination.

I spent a long time with the owner long after the round and you can see that despite his reluctance to change the naturalness and originality of the course, he's going to do what it takes to land the US Open.
I think he'd get it anyway.

No doubt the next step will be to improve maintenance ::) because we all know that it's much more important(and indeed a better test of skill)    to have a super tightly mown grass predictable lie to hit our 8 iron 167 than it is to evaluate the lie (which could vary from packed dirt to slightly flyery) and play a SHOT accordingly. ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:39:09 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back