News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Stanley Thompson Symposium
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »
Though it's probably too late for anyone to make special plans to attend, I thought I'd mention this really interesting event that's happening next week:

"As a tribute to the legendary designer of Highlands Links, Parks Canada will hold a Stanley Thompson Symposium in Ingonish on September 10. The symposium will feature some of Canada's foremost experts on Thompson's architecture and his impact on golf throughout the world."

Speakers include:

"Was Stanley Thompson a Great Canadian?"
Bill Newton, Past-president of the Stanley Thompson Society

"The Architectural Evolution of Stanley Thompson..."
Ian Andrew

"Untruths and Genius: The Larger than Life Stanley Thompson"
Robert Thompson (no relation!)

"Routing is Destiny: The Foundation of Stanley Thompson's 'Big Five'"
Jeff Mingay

"... the Construction of Cape Breton Highlands Links, 1938-39"
Ken Donovan, Program chair

"Was this your Father's Land? Progress and the Price of Staying Home"
Stewart Donovan

"... Plans to Commemorate Stanley Thompson at Cape Breton Highlands Links"
Greg McMullin, Highlands Links/Stanley Thompson Historical Society

"Stanley Thompson: Canada's Golf Architect for the Ages"
Lorne Rubenstein 

The day will conclude with a speaker's roundtable.

There's some discussion about turning these presentations into essays which will feature in a book, edited by Ken Donovan -- the mastermind behind it all -- commemorating this event.

Should be fun  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:06:04 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Stanley Thompson Symposium
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »
Jeff

Those would be great to read or hear. Any chance the speeches are recorded and / or posted to a website somewhere.

The book idea is nice, too, but it would be great to use the web to quasi-recreate the symposium.

Mark

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »
Jeff

Those would be great to read or hear. Any chance the speeches are recorded and / or posted to a website somewhere.

Great question. It would be nice to see them.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Don Hyslop

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »
 While you are there Jeff, any chance of you and some of the other notables convincing the powers to be to reintroduce some of Thompsons great bunkers that were lost in the 1996 renovation?

Also would love to see the speeches but into essay or book form!
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:09:16 PM »
I played a Stanley Thompson course, Sleepy Hollow, in Brecksville, Ohio a few years back. It was outstanding, especially in the fall!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »

Jeff,

That sounds fantastic.

Assuming you are going it would be great to get a report and eventually some reading material.

I played Capilano with John Mayhugh and Sean Leary about a month ago after 5-6 years of not getting over there and it all came back to me just how special the course really is. I think that hanging around this website for a few years has allowed a better appreciation of good architecture. Thompson took on what must have been considered a difficult, although beautiful site, and gave us a course which reflects many of the old time characteristics that are valued by many on this site.

Now I have to get to Cape Breton and back to the Rockies again!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I presume each talk will be recorded, but I'm not sure. I'll let you know.

As for Cape Breton Highlands Links, there has been some rumour about doing work to the course in the near future. I don't know details. But I know it needs it.

Capilano is a neat place eh, Bob. The property is difficult. Thompson's routing is remarkable, turning the side of a mountain (literally) into a walk-able and enjoyable golf course.
jeffmingay.com

Don Hyslop

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
Here is a link to Robert Thompson's blog about what he was going to talk about at the Thompson Symposium today. Hopefully participants will fill us in on how the event went today.

http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Don Hyslop

Re: Stanley Thompson Symposium New
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 05:18:35 AM »
 Here are two stories that came out of the Thompson symposium that illustrate the need for renovation work at Highland Links:

Lorne Rubenstein's story:  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080912.wspt-rube-col-12/BNStory/GlobeSportsGolf/?query=

Robert THompson's:

http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2008/09/12/highlands-links-a-restoration-in-the-offing/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:42:22 PM by Don Hyslop »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 01:47:44 PM »
I'm just returned home from four days at Cape Breton Highlands Links. The symposium was a great event.

I hadn't been out there in more than a few years. Though the course was not in great shape -- due to recent weather, drainage problems, and way too many trees and underbrush surrounding greens -- three rounds at Highlands Links reinforced, in my mind, that this is indeed one of the world's great golf courses. (Its history is extremely interesting and unparalleled as well.)

Highlands Links is so good that sloppy conditions and poor turf quality had very little to no effect on our enjoyment of the course. This says a lot. 

Moreover, the people of Ingonish may be the kindest, most hospitable in the world.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back